"Less and Less" - August 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Patty

Post by Patty »

LadyBird wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:24 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 8:29 am
FKelly wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:37 pm
Aw, the land with two seasons: winter and three months of rough sledding. The later is due to end, oooh perhaps, next week.

If you want avoid frostbite and get an idea of life in the land of the Lahti, Haataja, Halonen, Hillukka, Wiitanan and Mattila, here is a link to the Heikki Lunta Snow Dance song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZgGddM ... e=emb_logo

Da Yoopers were bit slow to add a music video (the wood powered video cam wasn't developed until 2013), so here's a version with some some of that twenty feet or so of white stuff being moved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
My friend who went to Michigan Tech said there was three seasons of winter: First came the snow season, then when the lake froze came the cold season, then as it started to melt came the mud season
One of my daughter's friends went to Michigan Tech. One year, he said there was still snow (from the big snowdrifts) when he left for summer break.

I spent 4 years living in The UP. Yes it was cold and there was plenty of snow, but getting out to go cross-country skiing or snowshoeing made winter more fun.
Summers, no matter how short, were glorious!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:58 am I've lost my mojo and can't seem to solve these anymore. Nudge anyone?
Thanks to multiple nudges I feel like I was literally thrown from the ship to shore.
Kind of like...
https://images.app.goo.gl/GvkvaesGhgK8HCLQ7
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Baffled. I blame (1) my new eyeglasses and (2) the fact that one of the answers refers to a neighbor's ex-husband! I will see if doing some mowing inspires me.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
TPS

Post by TPS »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:36 pm I feel like I was literally thrown from the ship to shore.
It is often like that for me - I’m feast or famine. Either I solve it inside of 90 minutes on my own or w/ a tiny blown kiss in the form of a check or single word OR someone has to literally explain the entire mechanism and then I have to still google the answer.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:45 pm Baffled. I blame (1) my new eyeglasses and (2) the fact that one of the answers refers to a neighbor's ex-husband! I will see if doing some mowing inspires me.
Glasses? Wasn't that last weeK?
M and M

Post by M and M »

Met some very convincing rabbits this week, but we are now safely and definitely ashore. Whew!
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On shore, with great appreciation.
Have a wonderful weekend everyone!
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

done. a 100%'er as others have said.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

WSJ is hosting a crossword Q&A with Mike Miller, Mike Shenk, and Matt Gaffney, September 10 & 17 at 3PM

https://www.wsjplus.com/invites/wsj-crosswords-event

Not sure if you have to be registered or be a subscriber to watch, but it doesn't really look like it.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good afternoon muggles.

An interesting challenge from Mr. Shenk however we have 53 on the shore and 3 on the ship (many more in rabbit holes).

Good luck to all and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
TPS

Post by TPS »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:54 pm WSJ is hosting a crossword Q&A with Mike Miller, Mike Shenk, and Matt Gaffney, September 10 & 17 at 3PM

Not sure if you have to be registered or be a subscriber to watch, but it doesn't really look like it.
That’s funny - I suggested to Matt he and Mike should host a Weekly Crossword Podcast!
femullen

Post by femullen »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:54 pm WSJ is hosting a crossword Q&A with Mike Miller, Mike Shenk, and Matt Gaffney, September 10 & 17 at 3PM

I signed up. I need all the pointers I can get. If they're selling previews to their answer keys, I might subscribe.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Registered! ✍🏻

If you'd like to join the discussion, and are not a WSJ member, please register here before the event. You may also receive a follow-up after the event.

[EDIT1: Non-member sign-up details, as received in registration verification email.]
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
gatogato

Post by gatogato »

Sitting on shore and chasing grain alcohol with warm PBR.
Abide

Post by Abide »

For those who may have missed it, there is a prize puzzle on the Muggle Meta Mondays forum:

LINK TO PUZZLE forums/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=529

Deadline to submit is midnight tomorrow. Better odds than the coveted WSJ mug!
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

After my first winning streak longer than zero, I am back with Isaac. He said he missed me, but I bet he says that to *everyone*.

I was going to say I'd read some Sartre for inspiration, but why lie at this point?
Rufus T. Firefly
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Our Pal Sal is on vacation in Yosemite! The photo is from his "Accidental Talmudist" Facebook page.

sal (5).jpg
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
elementary

Post by elementary »

Ashore but not submitted. Thanks to those who nudged me along!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I am firmly on shore. I solved the grid this morning. We were privileged to spend time with one of our granddaughters today so that her mom and dad could work. So, I just got back to look at the meta. My brain must have been subconsciously working on this because the answer almost jumped off the page for me! :D
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Janet

Post by Janet »

I'm on shore. Started yesterday hunting some likely rabbits. Today, I took another look after a telecon, and I found the real Bugs Bunny!