"Less and Less" - August 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:58 pm
damefox wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 pm Oh for f***'s sake. I don't know why I stared at that for so long. Ashore.
I said much the same thing. Though less colorfully.
Me three! KAS 2 for sure.
LesY

Post by LesY »

Me three, Damefox and Heidi. It was only obvious the fourth time I picked it up. Tried what I tried earlier but not nearly hard enough.

Good to be on shore before week 3.

Edit: Me four! Laura beat me to it. ha ha
femullen

Post by femullen »

Grid was a snap for a change. No crunk [sic!] musician crossed with the Inuit word for reindeer fertilizer.

I'm leaving the meta for tomorrow COB, because as a boy I dreamed of a life at sea, and, ta-da, here I am! Besides, Isaac is generous tonight with the Cabernet.

Why yes, thank you, Isaac, I believe I will.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

On shore in under ten minutes - the sand between my toes feels comforting after failing last week with one that I really should have gotten.
edot

Post by edot »

On shore! Love a nice grid.

Funny enough, I will be heading to Yellowstone in a few weeks for the first time. Maybe I’ll see some 24D while there!

If anyone has been before and has any advice please PM me, I’d love some tips!
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

elan wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:07 pm I'm ashore and wanted to note that the crossword has TWO shout-outs to the Upper Peninsula (9A & 58D).

I'm torn between local pride and wanting to say "hush." We prefer to remain unvisited.
Aw, the land with two seasons: winter and three months of rough sledding. The later is due to end, oooh perhaps, next week.

If you want avoid frostbite and get an idea of life in the land of the Lahti, Haataja, Halonen, Hillukka, Wiitanan and Mattila, here is a link to the Heikki Lunta Snow Dance song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZgGddM ... e=emb_logo

Da Yoopers were bit slow to add a music video (the wood powered video cam wasn't developed until 2013), so here's a version with some some of that twenty feet or so of white stuff being moved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

edot wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:33 pm On shore! Love a nice grid.

Funny enough, I will be heading to Yellowstone in a few weeks for the first time. Maybe I’ll see some 24D while there!

We finally got to Yellowstone a few years ago and absolutely loved it. It's all beautiful. My advice is not to put your phone on top of the car before heading down the winding road for the next stop a couple hours away....
damefox

Post by damefox »

damefox wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:29 pm Oh for f***'s sake. I don't know why I stared at that for so long. Ashore.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I lost time but not just staring blankly. There's at least one red herring (or is it a rabbit hole?) that I kept following even after I knew it was (to mix in a third metaphor) a dead end.
Jay
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:12 pm

I lost time but not just staring blankly. There's at least one red herring (or is it a rabbit hole?) that I kept following even after I knew it was (to mix in a third metaphor) a dead end.
I am relatively confident that I didn’t solve last week’s puzzle because I was fixated on the fact you could spell trapeze in a certain part of the puzzle and was sure there was a liqueur that had a trapeze on the bottle.

Ok - I had to edit this because it was just a lie - there was no way I was solving last week’s puzzle - but I did waste a ton of time on trapeze.
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Made it Ashore ---

---at the end of a great day that wraps up our Cape Cod vacation ---
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Ashore...first in many weeks, phew!
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Ashore after chasing some rabbits all afternoon. It made the AHA moment a gleeful squeal. My husband looked over, without too much shock, and said, "oh did you solve your crossword?"
Boy do I love a well-constructed Shenk meta!
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Hello - was in a two week slump, then found the shore after having a hard cider serving. Nice puzzle and meta.

Happy healthy solving to you all,
Last edited by lacangah on Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Gotta CLAP BACK at that 🤬!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
dudeski

Post by dudeski »

On shore.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Yet another case of me staring at the completed grid for much, much too long — though having some sense for what the puzzle might be looking for — then seeing the way to the answer in, literally, a flash. I mean, like, in mere seconds. So, yes, a nice “Aha!” — but also a definite “D’oh!”

I liked this puzzle. It’s the kind I’d use to explain to a newbie how meta crosswords work. (Sadly, the last couple of people I thought might like to latch on to these metas took in what I had to say, then had that sort of look that says, “Uhh ... I don’t think so.”)
pamster

Post by pamster »

On shore, though I should be sleeping instead. Couldn't go to bed until I solved this as I knew I was on the right track and was afraid I'd forget by morning.
Hidden in 3D

Post by Hidden in 3D »

Done and done. This one might be my quickest solve yet - on shore before I even poured my second cup of coffee!
Sara
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

edot wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:33 pm On shore! Love a nice grid.

Hire a guide! Then you really see what is there instead of wandering aimlessly through 3000+ square miles.