"Less and Less" - August 21, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Lost at sea.
Emmajane

Post by Emmajane »

Also lost at sea and ready to request a nudge. I keep waiting for the day when these will jump out at me as they do for so many others—I may be in for a long wait.

Onshore—with a nudge...mucho thanks!
Last edited by Emmajane on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jenny

Post by Jenny »

At sea in general... and just learning about metas. Have read a lot of the discussion on this forum.
But would appreciate a gentle nudge if someone is available.
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Still on the boat. Rabbit holes galore... Still got 6+ hours....
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Maybe it's that my brain is fried after the first full week of Distance Teaching, but I've got nothin'.

Lost at sea and too busy writing online lesson plans to even look at the meta any more.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think I am all around it and may have part of it. May guess but basically giving up. Got some nudges that merely confirmed i was on the right track but just can not get there.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Thurman8er wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:58 pm Maybe it's that my brain is fried after the first full week of Distance Teaching, but I've got nothin'.

Lost at sea and too busy writing online lesson plans to even look at the meta any more.
Unreal how often I report being LAS and see the meta within minutes. Ashore and back to work!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I'm as lost at sea as I think I've ever been. Hoping for some post-enlightenment Thurman8er style
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

I have fairly subtle (or gentle) nudge free for the asking.
Jay
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Toes in the sand—finally! This took far longer than it should have. Funny the way the solving process works. Two weeks ago, I solved “Let’s Move Beyond It” in about 10 minutes. This one took 3 days. It’s obvious the amount of rabbit holes a given brain can conjure up affects the speed of solving. I didn’t see any two weeks ago. I spent this entire weekend in rabbit hole after rabbit hole.
jimbo1

Post by jimbo1 »

On shore. With a nudge.
Mord

Post by Mord »

Hello all! I am new here and glad to be a part of this fun community :) I've followed along (from the shadows!) for a while and decided to join.

As well as being a newbie, I am hopelessly stuck on this meta puzzle :( if anyone could send a nudge my way, I would gladly return it with goooood vibes!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Inca wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 2:55 pm It's still interesting to me how each of us experiences the meta differently...which we find easy, which we find perfect, which we find too way out there, etc.

For me this was a classic meta (or what I think the meta should be) and I really enjoyed it.

I saw some discussion about nudges and hints above and I also wonder how people come up with good hints that actually help but don't give too much away. (In fact, someone has asked me to provide one for them and I am at a loss.) So, now that I've solved and submitted, I'd love to get the nudges and hints others came up with by PM.
Inca
When I give a nudge, first thing I want to know is what rabbit holes the person has gone down. So the simplest nudge is to tell them that they are either very warm or tear up the paper and start over. If they come back for more help, we get into life preservers and coast guard with the expectation that they will get to shore but not submit for the mug.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I got nuthin
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Ohhhhhh! Yup there it is.
Love it when divergent thinking reaps a reward. Mostly it just makes me seem strange to people.
Old Fashioned tonight. I’m feeling Downton-esque.
The other Wendy. :roll:
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Mord wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:00 pm Hello all! I am new here and glad to be a part of this fun community :) I've followed along (from the shadows!) for a while and decided to join.

As well as being a newbie, I am hopelessly stuck on this meta puzzle :( if anyone could send a nudge my way, I would gladly return it with goooood vibes!
Mord I would send a nudge but don’t know how! Do I have to friend you first?
boharr

Post by boharr »

Mord wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:00 pm
Mord I would send a nudge but don’t know how! Do I have to friend you first?
Send a PM. Private message. See User Control Panel.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Thurman8er wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:10 pm
Thurman8er wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:58 pm Maybe it's that my brain is fried after the first full week of Distance Teaching, but I've got nothin'.

Unreal how often I report being LAS and see the meta within minutes. Ashore and back to work!
We call that Post-enlightenment....
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

Or .. POST post-enlightenment 😊
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final report has 37 on the ship and 99 on the shore

And a warm welcome to our newest muggle - Mord

New to the ship since lunchtime are
joequavis
matthewB
Brian D
Dennis
Jenny
Nalugirl
Mord
and LittleGood

and making it to shore are
Emmajane
Jeremy
cherikee
the Thurman8er
Guy L
Burak
Ed S
copperriver
Patty
jimbo
JimJim
Andrew B
FLT
and HeadinHome

One final administrative piece of advice - after the initial submissions, I do my updates by starting with the last submission and working backwards until I get to where I run into people I have entered as ship or shore on the spreadsheet. If you edit your post to say you are now on the shore, I may or may not pick it up. My suggestion when you go from the ship to the shore is to create a new post. Thanks

Good luck to all who are submitting. I will be on the ship either in the bar or tending the garden with MaineMarge
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director