"You Need Glasses" - August 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Not a clue. Still on the ship. Will keep at it
Joe

Post by Joe »

That took longer than I would have liked! But I found it and am on shore.

Hoping I get through Matt's week 2 tomorrow in short order because then I can focus solely on Lollapuzzoola! I've never been in a competition before, though I solve it at home every year. Hope to see some of you there!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Joe wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:30 pm That took longer than I would have liked! But I found it and am on shore.

Hoping I get through Matt's week 2 tomorrow in short order because then I can focus solely on Lollapuzzoola! I've never been in a competition before, though I solve it at home every year. Hope to see some of you there!
I’m not a speed solver, so I’m getting the puzzles on Sunday. Good luck to you! Have fun!
Heidi
stmv

Post by stmv »

I solved the grid fairly fast, and it took me some time staring at the complete grid to get the meta, but now I'm safely on shore. Now I will be able to devote my full attention to the MGWCC tomorrow morning.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are safely on shore - interestingly, I rowed faster this week! Unusual, but great to be in the sand..........luck to all.
BeTheLight

Post by BeTheLight »

Thought I was far from shore, but when I looked again I realized I was right there. This one was clever! Of course I always like them better when I solve them.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Six hours straight today, learning how to teach from home. Eyes strained, I tackled the puzzle and was delighted. Amazing how rejuvenating metas can be...when you get 'em.

Anyway...on shore and off to bed.
ALS

Post by ALS »

Figured it out little by little, and when I woke up this morning, I saw the answer. Happen to hate the stuff though.

Ashore.

ALS
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

On shore.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On shore for the first time in a couple of months (or what felt like since the Nixon administration).

Coffee at the tiki bar for now.
Rufus T. Firefly
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Vacationing near Lake Wallenpaupack this week. Solved the grid last night and the meta this morning with my 11 y.o. son before breakfast. We'll be fishing instead of drinking from this shore.

Stay well!
Paul
femullen

Post by femullen »

Hey, I solved the grid this week!

Meta: my usual notaclue. And, for the first time in six months, we're going to visit the grandkiddies this weekend, so I may never getaclue.

See y'all Monday with my usual head-slappin' "Doh!"
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:05 pm
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:02 pm🏝🍹
At that size, your island looked like a couch on the beach. :)
I need a couch, a peeled banana, a music note and something to represent PGWCC on my island emoji so I only have to use one image to say - I got it!
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I made it to shore all by myself! Now I might have time (and motivation) to add a picture or avatar! I am glad I solved quickly since it is our 44th anniversary. I won’t need to keep sneaking off to stare at the grid.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I have joined Dom (and many others) on shore. I am much more satisfied with the tightness of this one (title, mechanism, pointer, answer) than last week’s. Sorry, blockheads!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore. I was onto it last night but led astray by a rare grid entry error which made all the difference. Agree with everybody else, cute meta. Hope to see you Tuesday.

Stay well all!!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BethA wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:22 pm On the beach! 🏖 🍷

Enjoyed it!
For those keeping score at home we have

Beth T - post 17 at 5:02
Beth A - post 25 at 5:20
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
brulo

Post by brulo »

On shore for the first time in a couple weeks, too early for a drink from my favorite nonic
Last edited by brulo on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Toby wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:52 pm Got it after some distractions, both within the puzzle and in my life. Very nice one and a little different than most.
Glad you are back Diana was asking about you
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

LAS.
But I feel more hopeful this week than last that I will make it to shore eventually.
Stern garden is Looking fabulous so it's off to Isaac's bar for now.