"You Need Glasses" - August 14, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Made it to shore, now to relax with a liqueur (plus a beer).
TPS

Post by TPS »

Last two weeks were easy peasy - not going to happen for me this week though. Tried all my tricks none of them work.

I did find something that is probably not intentional that could have also made for a good puzzle.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

On shore with bourbon in hand. Bulleit over a large ice ball.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore! I passed Go! (cheeky reference to last week). Very enjoyable puzzle and meta.

Agree 36D is, well, blasphemous. Must learn more.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm delighted to be on the beach. It's been a while.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

TPS wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:21 pm Last two weeks were easy peasy - not going to happen for me this week though. Tried all my tricks none of them work.

I did find something that is probably not intentional that could have also made for a good puzzle.
I saw something that could have made for a good puzzle, and a couple rabbit holes later, turned out it was relevant, just not in exactly the same way I’d originally assumed.

On shore.

Good luck to any muggles competing in Lollapuzzoola on Saturday!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:39 pm
TPS wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:21 pm Last two weeks were easy peasy - not going to happen for me this week though. Tried all my tricks none of them work.

I saw something that could have made for a good puzzle, and a couple rabbit holes later, turned out it was relevant, just not in exactly the same way I’d originally assumed.

On shore.

Good luck to any muggles competing in Lollapuzzoola on Saturday!
I didn't want to compete, but I signed up to get the puzzles on Sunday. Can't wait!
Heidi
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

On the beach!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On shore!

And pondering precisely what concoction to order from the tiki bar!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 pm
KayW wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:29 pm On shore! That was fun. I've never had 36D - maybe I'll try it one day. But today I think I'll have [INSERT META ANSWER HERE]
They stopped making it in 2007.
I just had to Google it because I remember my husband's grandmother drinking it when I first knew him (and her.) It actually does still exist (but no longer as a Kraft product because they did discontinue it.) But some other much smaller company picked up on it and you can now, in fact, get it at Wal-Mart---even next day delivery if you want to pay an arm and a leg!

I am of course still on the ship where I will most likely remain till Sunday and even beyond.
Last edited by whimsy on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnswerPfinder

Post by AnswerPfinder »

Ashore! Wow that feels fun to type. I've always seen other people type it, but now that I have an account I can finally join in on the fun!

Struggled with the grid, but not too long with the meta. Cheers!

Edit: Just realized this is the start to a fantastic crosswording weekend. See y'all for MGWCC tomorrow, Lollapuzzoola on Saturday, and (don't forget) WWMC on Sunday! It's the quadfecta!
Last edited by AnswerPfinder on Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
TPS

Post by TPS »

whimsy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 pm I am of course still on the ship where I will most likely remain till Sunday and even beyond.
Well you are gonna be stuck w/ me then!
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Hello, good friends on the beach!
I am a man of few...
KayW

Post by KayW »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:02 pm
KayW wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:29 pm On shore! That was fun. I've never had 36D - maybe I'll try it one day. But today I think I'll have [INSERT META ANSWER HERE]
They stopped making it in 2007.
Then Amazon must be selling some 13 year-old stock -it's still available there ;) (I hope that's not TOO spoilerish for that entry, Amazon carries more than a few products)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Beaching it. Fun puzzle!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Yeah I feel the same way. Not going to happen. I've given up cryptics and I'm about to give up on these. Consumes too much of my life.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

Ashore, on the very crowded beach. To be expected as we are quite skillful at pursuing drinks!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

TPS wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:05 pm
whimsy wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 pm I am of course still on the ship where I will most likely remain till Sunday and even beyond.
Well you are gonna be stuck w/ me then!
Fine by me, (Eeyore ;) )
We can sit around with Isaac at the bar commiserating and drinking 36D -- I believe a saw a Wal-Mart tractor trailer pulling up and unloading crates just before we set sail.....

BTW I saw a teensy spoiler in my original earlier post and had to edit quickly ----- but it kinda spoiled my joke when I did! (Will save it for Monday or Tuesday.)
Hector

Post by Hector »

Well I think we have in fact spoilered the covfefe alternative. But I doubt any muggle is feverishly looking here for extra clues to the grid!

First warm afternoon in a while here after a zillion days of fog---second or third time I've worn shorts this year?---so I'll shake gin and the juice of an orange that today fell off a tree in our front forty square feet, with plenty of ice.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

This one took a second look...definitely needed glasses as I wasn't seeing it.

Count me ashore!