"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Abide wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 pm Here’s an interesting puzzle: can you come up with a better six letter Monopoly-ish meta answer than BLOCKS, using the workable letters BCFGIKLMNOPRSV ? (the P is a little iffy)

After some time I came up with a decent answer, which I’ll share at tomorrow’s Zoom.
LOSING...
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Abide wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:01 pm Here’s an interesting puzzle: can you come up with a better six letter Monopoly-ish meta answer than BLOCKS, using the workable letters BCFGIKLMNOPRSV ? (the P is a little iffy)

After some time I came up with a decent answer, which I’ll share at tomorrow’s Zoom.
Colors, prison, losing
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

20200810_204600_resize_38.jpg
Many years/decades ago, I made this life-size Monopoly board using counted cross-stitch. It was for my folks for their game room. They have both died in the past two years, so it came back to me. We have no room for it here, so it is currently under the bed in the guest bedroom.
burak

Post by burak »

TPS wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:31 am
sharkicicles wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:20 am
I don’t get all the hate for this one, I found it to be the easiest one of the last month and a half or so.
I concur. I understand why some people are frustrated but I didn’t feel like this was anymore esoteric than understanding sheet music or even knowing who say Rene Magritte is.
Using Monopoly is totally fair game, but with meta puzzles that require outside knowledge there's usually a stronger push towards what you should be looking for. The title "Tormented Artists" clearly indicated that you should be looking for artist names (or something relevant) and the meta mechanism was 101 level. The sheet music puzzle had a clue that almost explicitly said "there is another song with this exact structure so use that somehow". This one had what, "roll the dice" for PLAY and that's it? Not enough in my opinion.

Again, if a lot of people got it that means it was fair game and gettable, but this was not standard practice imho.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

LadyBird wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:40 pm 20200810_204600_resize_38.jpg

Many years/decades ago, I made this life-size Monopoly board using counted cross-stitch. It was for my folks for their game room. They have both died in the past two years, so it came back to me. We have no room for it here, so it is currently under the bed in the guest bedroom.
That's incredible! I used to love doing counted cross stitch. Never did one this ambitious, but I did do a page of sheet music for Moonlight Sonata. Sure, there's not a lot of notes, but the staff lines themselves took a lot of time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OGRISM - yes, it is a word (NO, now STOP that), an alternate spelling of OGREISM, which means acting like an ogre and I am sure people are accusing Mike of with "Move Beyond It". Perhaps a little too much criticism, I mean it was difficult if you did not recognize MONOPOLY (which I did not) but once you disenchant yourself from wanting BALTIC to be the answer (it is one beyond IT - Income Tax and is six letters) and just move the one square beyond each named square the answer flows pretty well. I was not crazy about it because I didn't solve it, but Lord I could say that about a BUNCH of these.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
moe gobba

Post by moe gobba »

How about moving?
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

flyingMoose wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:33 am Did anyone solve this without having a Monopoly board in front of them? I recognized very early on the Monopoly connection in the Theme Entries, but after that, I assumed I should find the meta in the grid, not on an adjunct element (the board). Perhaps the title was intended to Clue me in.

And perhaps some will point out similar examples in the not-so-distant past. I haven't been here that long.
The other two puzzles I can think of with Monopoly references were 11-20-15 (Go Figure) and 4-28-17 (What's the Right Move?).
Cynthia
Richard

Post by Richard »

Did someone win the mug? Still looking for the email.

Also, were the stats posted - entries, correct entries, etc.
PJM

Post by PJM »

The rabbit hole I found myself stuck in was "BE" in "BEyond it."

I placed "BEE" in three of the theme answers, yielding

luxuryBEELINEr
READINGBEElist
FREEBEEtime

The two letters preceding BEE in each answer are RY, NG, EE, from which I got ENERGY.

With more effort Sunday evening I might have extricated myself from that hole but I chose instead to watch the return of everyone's favorite crossword-solving detective Endeavour on PBS. I think it was the right choice!
femullen

Post by femullen »

I am tickled, for once, to see so many Muggles more talented than I am commenting on the shortcomings of the Monopoly meta. This is how I feel Monday after Monday after Monday as I emerge from the Great Rabbit Hole de la semaine. And I fully admit that this would have been just another Monday except for the hundreds of Monopoly games of my youth: I'd have been saying, as I so often say, "I'd have never thought of that in a hundred years."

I note a number of people commenting also on the apparent meaninglessness of BLOCKS as an answer: no obvious link to the clues, theme answers, or even to the game of Monopoly itself. I was so euphoric to have found a solution that this never entered my alleged mind. I'd have taken ANY six-letter word, however meaningless.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

PJM wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:26 am The rabbit hole I found myself stuck in was "BE" in "BEyond it."

I placed "BEE" in three of the theme answers, yielding

luxuryBEELINEr
READINGBEElist
FREEBEEtime

The two letters preceding BEE in each answer are RY, NG, EE, from which I got ENERGY.

With more effort Sunday evening I might have extricated myself from that hole but I chose instead to watch the return of everyone's favorite crossword-solving detective Endeavour on PBS. I think it was the right choice!

That was not a rabbit hole, that was a BEEhive... (sorry)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Richard wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:17 am Did someone win the mug? Still looking for the email.

Also, were the stats posted - entries, correct entries, etc.
Not yet.
Heidi
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Arriving in today's (yes, it seems like we're seeing the truck every day) Amazon delivery:

DDDarrah_20200811_1056_001.jpg

I had no idea she was ordering this, and she had no idea that I was working a meta involving Monopoly. Cue "Twilight Zone" theme.

Anyone ever played this card game? My answer might change in the next day or so!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

OGuyDave wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:27 pm Arriving in today's (yes, it seems like we're seeing the truck every day) Amazon delivery:

DDDarrah_20200811_1056_001.jpg

I had no idea she was ordering this, and she had no idea that I was working a meta involving Monopoly. Cue "Twilight Zone" theme.

Anyone ever played this card game? My answer might change in the next day or so!
Dave
We seem to get Amazon deliveries daily also but we want them to put the packages in the garage as we are not there always and don't want them rained on. We routinely get this from Amazon
109790112_10215272474158658_8677785647926049883_o.jpg
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ReB

Post by ReB »

What's the Zoom link?
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

yourpalsal wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:06 am
SewYoung wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:59 am
tim1217 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:41 am Wake me up when it's Thursday afternoon.
But before Thursday afternoon is Tuesday night (or afternoon if you are out west) and the weekly Muggles Zoom gathering. 6:30 pm Central Time. the link is usually posted on the current puzzle forum page sometime on Tuesday. Come join us.
Indeed!
(Note that it’s the same link every week)
Muggle Meetup
Tuesday at 4:30pPT/7:30pET
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093
Final reminder!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

Tried to join in but I was using an old s-l-o-w laptop, so that I didn't have to go upstairs to the hot box (Mr. W's office) where the "mainframe" is.
Kept crashing out and connection was lousy anyway so I'll just go back to reading the book I downloaded today:
Capturemonopoly.JPG
And then watching Stanley Mug playoffs in a few.
Enjoy the evening -- catch you later --
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

For deeAHnuh (Diana) from tonight's Muggle Zoom:

Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »