"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Still lost on the ship, Bob, but I won’t be going anywhere near the stern garden today with all that shooting going on back there.
On another note, if we’re submitting prizewinning blooms, I’ll play:
1F06120A-492C-4C1F-A0D1-ED4E6C19EC4F.jpeg
Hi everyone!
Amazing fully open peony bloom this year from a home grown seedling. 🙋‍♀️
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Couldn’t get anywhere yesterday. Sat down for a power breakfast of fresh peach cobbler and the seas were parted and I could see the promised land.

On shore.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Well the other day I posted elsewhere on this board about my WSJ streak I've had since my second attempted puzzle, and said I had probably jinxed myself. Shortly after this puzzle came out, I went back and deleted the offending line, because sure enough, I am not seeing this one! I won't be able to take another look till later today, so I will have to be on ship for roll call. Turn on some lights and play some loud music on shore, because I'd really like to swim over to the crowd before tomorrow.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 am MAY-TA
TYVM, Wendy!

I feel the same about this puzzle. LAS, not a shorebird in sight.

WOW, Marge!!

And the flower is beautiful, too!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
spotter

Post by spotter »

Count me on the ship as well. I'm coming up short so far.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

Count me on the ship. I feel like Charly Gordon, on a downward spiral. No sight of land for weeks.
Rufus T. Firefly
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BrianMac wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:26 am
LadyBird wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 pm We are on vacation without access to a printer. I created a homemade--and frankly JACKed up looking--grid. I can only see the clues when I go to my phone screen to see the SNapshot that I took of the pdf. This is not a recIPE for success! Which means that I am on the boat.

I may have to try shooting some clay pigeons--haven't done that since I was a kid. Not sure why my grandpa thought it was a good idea to hand a shotgun to a preteen.
Do you happen to have any puzzles that you printed out with you? If you turn one over (assuming you didn't print 2-sided), you can make a pretty good grid by tracing the grid on the back of the paper, assuming they are the same size (15 x 15 in this case).
It is amazing how desperation sets in
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

Hopelessly lost at sea.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done (with some help from Mr. G) and done. The good feeling of the 'aha' moments... You know what I mean!

TFTXWD
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Off the ship but not on shore! One of the 17 things I noticed yesterday has finally yielded more results, but now I need to analyze the results. (And get out of bed and make coffee.)
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

oldjudge wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:42 pm Finally got it. My Yankees have started off hot, which probably means that the season will be cancelled.
the rest of the AL East is pretty bad.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Staring at the grid while sipping my cappuccino. I’ll be ready for skeet anytime. But you all will have to show me which end of the gun is which!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

On shore, aided by my 16 year old! I was explaining to him how metas usually work, and he said "hmm, what about [correct method] -- no, that wouldn't work." 10 minutes later, I fully investigated his method, and boom!

If you're stuck, I recommend getting a family member involved. 😁
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Bob, I love your new graphic. Here's one from the Central Division. -->
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:42 pm Finally got it. My Yankees have started off hot, which probably means that the season will be cancelled.
Seems a certainty.

Rode with my brothers from Vermont to Yankee Stadium for a game in 1973 4 hours each way in a jeep with leaf springs. Only rainout of the year.

Then there's Mattingly's last year. Cancelled by millionaires' stupidity and greed.
Rufus T. Firefly
TPS

Post by TPS »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:31 am
Then there's Mattingly's last year.

My Aunt who passed away last year was Don Mattingly's baby sitter from 3 - 8 in Evansville, IN.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good morning muggles.

A welcome to our newest muggle - John 77

And we have 10 on the ship and 48 on the shore

Now to go back to staring at my highlighted, marked up grid
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Avoiding the clay pigeon droppings being scattered across the bow as I make my way towards shore. 99.5% and submitted. I can make it all connect, but like others, I'm not completely Happy. I'm not Dopey either, so maybe I'm still Sleepy as I tossed and turned for the past two nights.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On the beach with a six-letter word that makes perfect sense, All Things Considered.

Some of the grid entries are down-right bizarre, A39 and D25. How's that for a natick :!:
A bit concerned about the 'specialized knowledge' required to solve this puzzle. If you don't have it to begin with, there is really no way of getting it since nothing else even hints at this knowledge.

I may have a 'specialized knowledge' problem with "Playlist Omission", the August MMMM. Some are claiming it's too easy to be an August. I see nothing pointing in the direction of a method, which suggests I lack this 'specialized knowledge'. Even with the 'specialized knowledge' for Shenk's puzzle, I had to draw the grid, copy the clues beside it and enter the answers in pencil before I realized that I knew this. I think better through the point of a pencil. Typing into the online puzzle didn't provide any cognition that I had the 'specialized knowledge'. Next step is to draw the grid for the MMMM, copy the clues along side, fill with pencil and see if the magic works again.
Last edited by FKelly on Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.