"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

BarbaraK wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:39 pm I enjoyed this grid. Lots of cleverness. My favorites were 1A, plus 67A and 49D.

Not really sure why I knew what to do to get the meta, but I did. I'm onshore.

And in the real world, I wanted to try something different with sweet potatoes for dinner and wondered if Hasselback would work as well with them as with regular potatoes. The answer is yes. Yummy and pretty.
I made fig chutney. I had plenty of fresh figs. Will try it later once it cools.
RobM

Post by RobM »

I'm safely on the beach.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:30 pm I take a bunch of screenshots and combined the best of each person.
Oof!

I don't doubt you, Bob, nor your generous work, but, speaking personally...

Oof!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

On shore! Enjoyed it.
femullen

Post by femullen »

edot wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:59 pm
femullen wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm Too many fracking movie directors, performing artists, and other things I know nothing about. I let you know Sunday if I even finish this stinkin' grid.

>8^<
"Fracking"... is that a Battlestar Galactica reference? :D
TPS, you're just trying to pop my aorta, right? I didn't see that movie either.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore - I think it will be crowded this weekend!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Meg wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:21 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:15 pm
Meg wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:27 pm I’m on the beach. Thanks, Bob, for a picture where I’m smiling! For all of you Zoom chickens, you don’t even have to talk!!
my avatar this week is for you.
Thanks, Bob. The Rays are not doing very well, but your Red Sox are below us in the standings. Perhaps not a season to remember.
Um, the Yankees.
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore.
John77

Post by John77 »

Flew thru the grid, now for the challenge...
Wir sind zu früh alt und zu spät schlau.
TPS

Post by TPS »

cashk wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:58 pm Onshore I guess. First 2 steps of meta are clear, but answer doesn't relate much.
That was my first thought but then I thought about something that makes it a little better - that is assuming I have the correct answer :lol:
TPS

Post by TPS »

John77 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:40 pm Flew thru the grid, now for the challenge...
You are a better man than I - This was a tough grid for me.
KayW

Post by KayW »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:01 pm Kay--I love your cactus flower picture. We have a big cactus garden in a canyon adjacent to our house.
Thanks - and your cacti are spectacular, too!

I was lucky to get a picture of re-Pete in bloom earlier this week- it was my first successful bloom in roughly 30 years of ownership (the little plant in my avatar is one of several cuttings off the original and currently 8-foot tall "Prickly Pete", who gets pruned back each time he crowds my ceiling).
original_prickly_pete.jpg
Apparently the blooms are a one-night stand. This one opened for one evening: fully open around midnight, closed back up by morning, and dropped off a day or so later.

If I should be so lucky to still be alive the next time one of them blooms, I am going to take a page from Cruise Director Bob's book and set up a time-lapse camera when it gets close to blossoming.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! Hopefully I will get to the other metas soon. I went back to work this week for the first time since lockdown, and I've been busy and tired. I finished the MMMM, but I still have the PGW and the AVXW to do.
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Happily on shore nice and early this week :) it's New Belgium Voodoo Ranger time 🍻
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore! Didn’t see it before dinner. But after a great time with extended family (and maybe multiple glasses of wine) I saw it immediately after.

Happy Weekend, Muggles!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Tina wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:58 pm On shore! Hopefully I will get to the other metas soon. I went back to work this week for the first time since lockdown, and I've been busy and tired. I finished the MMMM, but I still have the PGW and the AVXW to do.
The AVXW is a lot of fun!
Heidi
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Let's all please try not to discuss any details of the solving experience before the deadline.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

This little cactus had flowers that were bigger than him:
Attachments
IMG_Aug62020at51318PM.jpg
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

I seem to be in a meta funk. No go on the last two, and the rabbit holes I've found so far this week are no deeper than the divots I leave on the golf course. I'll keep plugging away..
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Ashore! Though I have to agree I don't entirely understand the significance of it. Either way time for a Tank 7 (farmhouse ale)!