"Let's Move Beyond It" - August 7, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

JordanianTomlinson wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 pm Ashore! Though I have to agree I don't entirely understand the significance of it. Either way time for a Tank 7 (farmhouse ale)!
Saisons are my favorite.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore! My boyfriend, who is Mr. I-don't-understand-metas-and-I'm-very-concerned-that-you-do-this-is-clearly-nuts, actually got the last piece for me.
JoeS

Post by JoeS »

Ashore, but not feeling great about it. Good enough to submit, but without that "I'm 100% positive" feeling.
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

I’m with many others this week-ashore but not 100% comfortable. The answer works so I am submitting and I will discuss my concern (one my very much non-muggle wife shares) on Monday.

At very least I can stop thinking about it!

Stay well all
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Grid done after a harder run than usual. Time for some solid staring, starting.... now.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Definitely identified the first step 19D a novel means. Now trying to figure out where to go next for the second step - expect I will need to take a fresh look tomorrow.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

got the grid, a bit tough. No meta, yet.

anyone who's still on the ship with me and who's sober - did you know there's skeet shooting in the afternoons off the stern? Come on up and blast a few clays with me.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

MajordomoTom wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:35 pm got the grid, a bit tough. No meta, yet.

anyone who's still on the ship with me and who's sober - did you know there's skeet shooting in the afternoons off the stern? Come on up and blast a few clays with me.
My husband shoots skeet almost every weekend!
Heidi
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

We are on vacation without access to a printer. I created a homemade--and frankly JACKed up looking--grid. I can only see the clues when I go to my phone screen to see the SNapshot that I took of the pdf. This is not a recIPE for success! Which means that I am on the boat.

I may have to try shooting some clay pigeons--haven't done that since I was a kid. Not sure why my grandpa thought it was a good idea to hand a shotgun to a preteen.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 pm We are on vacation without access to a printer. I created a homemade--and frankly JACKed up looking--grid. I can only see the clues when I go to my phone screen to see the SNapshot that I took of the pdf. This is not a recIPE for success! Which means that I am on the boat.

I may have to try shooting some clay pigeons--haven't done that since I was a kid. Not sure why my grandpa thought it was a good idea to hand a shotgun to a preteen.
I think you’ll be fine with that jack snipe, oops, screenshot.
Heidi
Anita

Post by Anita »

On shore, after being utterly stuck and walking away. Came back with a clearer head I guess.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

TPS wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:59 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm
TPS wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:45 pm Found something that can't be a coincidence but no idea what to do with it.
You will...
I think I have it - I have a 6 letter word. But usually it ties to the puzzle but not 100% how this one does. But its probably what I'll submit. If I am right I really liked this one - it made me realize I really need to organize my closet!
Good for you!
Heidi
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

On shore, I guess - there would have to be way too many coincidences for this NOT to be the answer. Perhaps if I study the grid some more I'll get the confirmatory "aha" that some have reported finding.
Last edited by Jeff S on Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
LaceyK

Post by LaceyK »

On shore. Tough grid, easy meta swim. Very enjoyable.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

I'm on shore now. One of the comments earlier in the thread makes a lot more sense.

After completing the grid, I stared at it for 20 minutes and nothing came to me. I came back and within 10 minutes I got it. I'm also a little unsure of my answer, but it makes sense, kind of. I have a decent idea of how Mike thinks.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:22 pm We are on vacation without access to a printer. I created a homemade--and frankly JACKed up looking--grid. I can only see the clues when I go to my phone screen to see the SNapshot that I took of the pdf. This is not a recIPE for success! Which means that I am on the boat.

Do you happen to have any puzzles that you printed out with you? If you turn one over (assuming you didn't print 2-sided), you can make a pretty good grid by tracing the grid on the back of the paper, assuming they are the same size (15 x 15 in this case).
C=64

Post by C=64 »

Midnight. The grid took about 15 minutes, but I've been wrestling with the meta off and on so many times today that I can't believe it's been only one day. I could tell you a dozen interesting nuggets I found, none of which appears to be helpful.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore.
After my daughter helped last week, the rest of my family are trying to get into it also.
I took the puzzle with me on a family outing. I figured out the method but it required my 14 year-old son's input to get the answer. I was duly impressed. Kudos to him!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I successfully reprogrammed the coffee maker after yesterday's power outage (trees fell on wires), so I woke up with hot coffee but still no MAY-TA answer in sight. This feels like the first puzzle I've ever done -- I'm just not seeing anything that works! Still ... skeet off the stern will be awesome this afternoon!
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

damefox wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:06 pm Ashore! My boyfriend, who is Mr. I-don't-understand-metas-and-I'm-very-concerned-that-you-do-this-is-clearly-nuts, actually got the last piece for me.
That is a perfect description of my long-suffering Mark! Last night's conversation went like this:
M: How was your day, sweetie?
W: [says nothing, shakes head grimly]
M: [hoots of laughter, huge grin] YESSS -- I noticed the absence of a gloating 4:30 p.m. text!
W: People are saying it JUMPED OUT AT THEM.
M: Yeah, well, so did Jack the Ripper.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!