"Tormented Artists" - July 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

Onshore a couple of hours ago. Got a late start, but it’s the first time in a few weeks that I’ve been able to join the Thursday evening party!
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Ashore!

Literally as well as WSJCC-wise. At this beach rental.

Guests arrive tomorrow (Friday) morning, so I may not be free to tackle the Week 5 MGWCC until Sunday night, or even Monday. That’s making me very nervous!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Ashore! Hard until it wasn't, as is so often the case. Wonder what Matt's got in store for us tomorrow....
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

On shore after sheltering in place on the ship for 2 weeks!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob, you can remove me from the ship’s manifest now- I’m outta here!
I really liked this one.
You other gardeners will have to get creative in the stern garden today, and I’ll be doing the same in my own.
Now here’s a modern day artist:
AC02AF94-39F3-403C-8F01-7FE6BE0ABFAA.jpeg
This delightful 23 year old has helped in the gardens throughout his high school and college years. Now on with his life, he still finds time to prune the tall cedars every year with a careful eye. 12 down, 16 to go.
Oh, to have such talent and industry at that tender age! 👨🏻‍🎨
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

No idea
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:08 am Ashore!

Literally as well as WSJCC-wise. At this beach rental.

Guests arrive tomorrow (Friday) morning, so I may not be free to tackle the Week 5 MGWCC until Sunday night, or even Monday. That’s making me very nervous!
You caught a break - Matt delayed until tomorrow at noon.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Wow this boat sure is quiet.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Late to the party, and this week I don't even have a fishing trip to blame.

Grid is done, and I now sit blinking cluelessly at the resulting random spatter of letters.

Count me aboard, Cruise Director. Isaac and I are old friends.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
lbray53

Post by lbray53 »

I made it to shore all on my own on Friday morning. (I start the puzzle with Friday morning coffee!). Does that mean this was easy or am I finally starting to catch on? I suspect a bit of both. Glad to be high and dry so early.
My avatar proves that it is sometimes better to be lucky than good!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:08 am Wow this boat sure is quiet.
Ashore. I was trying to just do it online and I guess that doesn't work for me. Once I went back to writing things out it clicked.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Ashore and ready for the weekend!
Toby

Post by Toby »

I enjoyed this one a lot, and after I solved I noticed something else that made the construction even more clever. (Maybe everyone else saw this right away.). Tomorrow also going to a real shore with grandkids and my puppy. Chances of having time to concentrate on tomorrow’s MGWCC — slim and none.
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

Nice to feel the sand between my toes. 100% on the beach.
I think I'll have a food often painted by artists.
Gman

Post by Gman »

On shore. Sure of the answer, but I know I'm missing something elegant.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Checking in to check out. Going to try the French approach and just take August off! In all seriousness, personal and business matters (not to mention a potential hurricane) will be taking precedent over metas for a week, or two. Booked a booth in the back that has a direct line to Isaac. Count me on the boat through the 22nd. See you soon. Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
cherikee

Post by cherikee »

Ashore? (new here)

Saw a potential path very early as I was solving, and assumed it was a coincidence. Took me hours to realize it wasn't. Maybe there are no coincidences with these things.
Hector

Post by Hector »

cherikee wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:29 am Ashore? (new here)

Saw a potential path very early as I was solving, and assumed it was a coincidence. Took me hours to realize it wasn't. Maybe there are no coincidences with these things.
Welcome. But, no, there are always coincidences.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

lbray53 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:08 am I made it to shore all on my own on Friday morning. (I start the puzzle with Friday morning coffee!). Does that mean this was easy or am I finally starting to catch on? I suspect a bit of both. Glad to be high and dry so early.
More than likely it's a bit of both. I generally get the meta immediately or not at all --- I end up being dissatisfied with both of those outcomes. A recent exception was Missing Links which took a night of sleep to find the path --- those are the kind I like. Practice does help, so you should be solving more of these more easily.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Hector wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:30 am Welcome. But, no, there are always coincidences.
That “Executive Search” - Zach Taylor puzzle that also had Ronald Reagan hidden within the theme clues that you could find if you “Search” was a prime example.