"Tormented Artists" - July 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankieHeck wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:16 pm
Cindy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm
BrianMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm I just realized I submitted the wrong answer. I think a fair number of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow.
Did we get pageanted?
Maybe he got hammed.
LOL, not nice
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

oldjudge wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:48 pm
FrankieHeck wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:16 pm
Cindy wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Did we get pageanted?
Maybe he got hammed.
LOL, not nice
I see only one answer. It fits too well to be wrong.
I am a man of few...
Deb F

Post by Deb F »

Reading all these "pageant" comments, I will confess that the answer I submitted is somewhat suspect. I like it--a lot--but it was an extremely awkward get. On the plus side, I submitted it and didn't think about it again all weekend until I just looked at our blog. What I got for it was a peaceful weekend. If I did get it right, maybe a mug (yeah, right) and, if not, well it's water over the dam!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am back on line using an ethernet as my computer WiFi is still down (not clear what the problem is because the WiFi worked at home)

So I will be combining my Sunday noon and final reports in a while.

Last Tuesday I was late for the weekly zoom muggle meeting as we were having bees removed from the wall of our house in Maine. A couple of muggles PM'd me about how it went and I sent them a link to the six minute time lapse video I put together for myself and the company that did the removal. The next question was how I did the video and they thought that there was enough interest that I created a topic in the Acapulco Lounge and in that posted a link to the video and a description of how the video was made.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Deb F wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:59 pm If I did get it right, maybe a mug (yeah, right) and, if not, well it's water over the dam!
There we go!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Ksoav

Post by Ksoav »

Was confidently on shore until I popped onto this thread after getting back to internet service.my curiosity is piqued for this week's discussion post-reveal!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Ksoav wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 6:39 pm Was confidently on shore until I popped onto this thread after getting back to internet service.my curiosity is piqued for this week's discussion post-reveal!
Yes, the discussion of the last hour or two is very intriguing.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Guess submitted. I can justify 3/4 of it. I have an alternative I could justify 1/2 of. So I'm going with the better odds. Either way, I'm expecting my dinghy to sink before getting to shore.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

KayW wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:13 pm
TPS wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 5:05 pm If I learned one thing in law school that has kept me from having to deal with a lot of idiots who think they are funny - it’s train yourself never to use the word
KayW wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 4:58 pm ass-U-me
Use the word Presume instead.
I got that from my "legal education" as well. But mine was probably a different school than yours...
Felix Unger Assume
Too funny that you shared that clip! The digital channel "Decades" has been binging The Odd Couple all day today.

P.S. For whatever reason, I was taught the a$$-u-me lesson in middle school algebra class :lol:

P.P.S. I also eagerly await the pageant post-mortem.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

tim1217 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 pm
TPS wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:08 pm
BrianMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm I just realized I submitted the wrong answer. I think a fair number of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow.
This is why I double checked with someone just because I remember some of our better solvers making a simple mistake. But then again maybe I asked someone else who missed it!
Interestingly enough, my ex (a big meta fan but not a Muggle) got the correct part 1 completed and then arrived at the correct answer...but not via the part 2 that MG intended. To those that are 100% confident you have the correct answer (via a solid part 2 mechanism) you'll see that you can also get the same answer via another (less than elegant) process.
Hope that's the process I used, because it certainly wasn't elegant.
Cynthia
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Still on board though there is a gaggle of artists with me... There's still time...
MatthewB

Post by MatthewB »

Said goodbye to the artists and am now safely on shore. Where's my negroni?
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I submitted a desparate lob, hoping for a TD. I hope I'm wrong because if I'm right it's really stupid!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Our final count is 7 on the ship and 153 on the shore with more than a few Hail Mary's being thrown.

And a warm welcome to our newest Muggle - Georgeall

Since yesterday keeping Isaac company for the week are

whimsy
Guy L
Colin
SewYoung
and Debbie

Increasing the crowd on the shore are;

boharr - who was there along painting but I missed him
Susie G
yourpalsal - also on the beach yesterday
Peter L
Frank
Hidden in 3D
Gpiggies
Geezer
Burak
Paul D
Domenic
elementary
JeanneC
Schmeel crediting his 17 years old daughter
OGuyDave
edot
MatthewM
Annabelle
Susan G
Ann
AnnP (are they becoming like the Beth's?)
phofer
Emmajane
Kris
EscX
Devilbunny
norrin2
erosecomm
jag
JRS51
Georgeall
Mark L
Tom S
Scott M
MatthewB
and LittleGood

Good luck to all
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Carla

Post by Carla »

On shore! Finally got it. The answer is clear even if it took me way too long to figure it out. ;)
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

As usual, make that 8 on the ship. I think I've completely lost my mojo. Had a few good weeks, but, now, I'm 0 for the whole month of July.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
PJM

Post by PJM »

tim1217 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:26 pm
TPS wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:08 pm
This is why I double checked with someone just because I remember some of our better solvers making a simple mistake. But then again maybe I asked someone else who missed it!
Interestingly enough, my ex (a big meta fan but not a Muggle) got the correct part 1 completed and then arrived at the correct answer...but not via the part 2 that MG intended. To those that are 100% confident you have the correct answer (via a solid part 2 mechanism) you'll see that you can also get the same answer via another (less than elegant) process.
I am ashore by inelegant means. Your post gives me hope I arrived on the correct shore!

Enjoying a (slighly chilled) Cabernet Franc.
Colin

Post by Colin »

I am claiming to be ashore,
But it’s not very clean for sure,
If I had to bet,
I would have to set,
A limit just above the floor.

EDIT: at eleven-eighteen
Now I’ve found what before was not seen,
All now is in place,
This one I did ace,
And submitted my email all clean!
Last edited by Colin on Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One world. One planet. One future.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

Flamel616 wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:26 pm As usual, make that 8 on the ship. I think I've completely lost my mojo. Had a few good weeks, but, now, I'm 0 for the whole month of July.
Yeah what is happening? I've been addlepated for weeks.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Wow, I can’t fathom alternate answers or alternate paths to “my” answer. But I suppose that’s what happened with the pageant puzzle. Y’all have ruined any thought of an early bedtime!

(But tonight’s Endeavor finale has my adrenaline elevated even though we saw it last year and we will have to watch it again tomorrow night to figure out how all the plot lines resolved.)