"Tormented Artists" - July 31, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:44 am I bought all the Mental Floss books and Peter Gordon's "___ingly Hard" books. They helped me *a lot*!
That was my thought - I figured I’d try to do his books this year and then maybe sign up for MGWCC next year if the MF books don’t defeat me.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

Have been at sea with Isaac all weekend. It’s maddening to see so many people say it was easy. Not giving up yet!
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Ashore.
I am a man of few...
norrin2

Post by norrin2 »

EVJ wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:56 am Have been at sea with Isaac all weekend. It’s maddening to see so many people say it was easy. Not giving up yet!
It's not easy but it's doable. Don't give up.
jag

Post by jag »

Ashore! Fun one...I got wrapped around the axle at one point (will share Monday) but made it ashore.
TPS

Post by TPS »

EVJ wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:56 am Have been at sea with Isaac all weekend. It’s maddening to see so many people say it was easy. Not giving up yet!
Easy is relative - this is a very Gaffney puzzle. Lots of people on here have done a TON of Gaffney puzzles between WSJ, MGWCC, and his books. Also, on a relative basis it’s not on the harder end of the spectrum for his puzzles especially compared to his puzzle from 2 weeks ago.

I am still terrible at these - hadn’t solved one completely on my own in almost 3 months and I still checked my answer on this one with someone else before submitting just to be on the safe side. I know it’s easier said than done but if you can it’s better not to judge yourself on these relative to other people.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

There will not be a report today as I am having computer problems
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

On shore! Fun puzzle, especially for me as an art conservator.

Until next week's contest, I'd like to recommend to y'all a youtube series called Art in Isolation, short podcasts by English art dealer Philip Mould in which he discusses in his chatty style art works at his collection at his home in the English countryside.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:57 am
yourpalsal wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:26 am I’ve been ashore since Friday. I wrote a whole message about it and now I can’t find it. I wonder where I posted it?? :-O
There are a few hundred faithful across the world reviewing a page of the Talmud wondering if "on the beach" is a metaphor...
In fact, according to some exegesists, there is reference to a beach (or at least a river bed) in yesterday's Talmud page, relating to the clay at the bottom of a river. Perhaps the post got stuck in the mud.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

On shore. Hope it isn’t Gilligan’s Island.
burak

Post by burak »

Some metas are impressive due to its constructions, some are impressive because everything ties together real nice even if the execution is simpler.

Really liked this one. Also happy that it wasn't a toughie as I was just able to start solving it. I won't be tormented for the rest of my Sunday, hooray!
Gpiggies

Post by Gpiggies »

On shore! I finally got it this morning. Very fun puzzle!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Anyone interested in the SpaceX Dragon re-entry, it is streaming live right now!
https://cnn.it/2PhozIL
One world. One planet. One future.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Colin wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:07 pm Anyone interested in the SpaceX Dragon re-entry, it is streaming live right now!
https://cnn.it/2PhozIL
Watching!!
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done (Thu) and done (just now).

I found this one fairly difficult. Maybe because I took a different path than intended? To me, it was sort of like when you pull off a stunt, and then said "Wow, I didn't think I could do that." As much self-satisfaction as I've had in solving a meta in quite some time.

TFTXWD
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

On an incredible losing streak. Guess I'll throw out the all too usual Hail Mary.

I'm sure I'll kick myself tomorrow morning. Or the Missus will do it for me :lol:
Rufus T. Firefly
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

I just realized I submitted the wrong answer. I think a fair number of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow.
TPS

Post by TPS »

BrianMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm I just realized I submitted the wrong answer. I think a fair number of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow.
This is why I double checked with someone just because I remember some of our better solvers making a simple mistake. But then again maybe I asked someone else who missed it!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

TPS wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:08 pm
BrianMac wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 3:01 pm I just realized I submitted the wrong answer. I think a fair number of people are going to be unpleasantly surprised tomorrow.
This is why I double checked with someone just because I remember some of our better solvers making a simple mistake. But then again maybe I asked someone else who missed it!
Interestingly enough, my ex (a big meta fan but not a Muggle) got the correct part 1 completed and then arrived at the correct answer...but not via the part 2 that MG intended. To those that are 100% confident you have the correct answer (via a solid part 2 mechanism) you'll see that you can also get the same answer via another (less than elegant) process.
Ronaldo

Post by Ronaldo »

D'oh! Just looked at it again. I think I did the same thing as you!