"Color Code" - July 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:48 pm
Dplass wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:14 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:45 pm

So we've got it narrowed down to that...
According to Mr. G there are 12478 five-letter words. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga.
I don't know what that means but I'm amused.

Oh, and thanks to multiple shoves of some friendly strangers, I'm ashore. Definitely in the category of "I am just not [redacted] enough to get this one."
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Do you KNOW how frustrating it is to see everyone proclaiming the ease of the puzzle and the amazing construction when you are sitting there looking at a GRID and there is nothing but sounds of silence (and I'm not talking a S&G song). I see what I believe are bunnies galore and I am just not getting the tie-in from the mega hint.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Meg

Post by Meg »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:59 am Do you KNOW how frustrating it is to see everyone proclaiming the ease of the puzzle and the amazing construction when you are sitting there looking at a GRID and there is nothing but sounds of silence (and I'm not talking a S&G song). I see what I believe are bunnies galore and I am just not getting the tie-in from the mega hint.
Yes, yes I do know how frustrating it is. Sometimes the thing you need to see/do just pops right out. Or it doesn’t. I have no idea why. I may have said this before, but I believe that having done a lot of cryptic crosswords has led to some flexibility with words. Cryptics are very challenging when you start out, but all those mini Aha! moments are wonderful.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

On shore, but it took a nudge to get me off the boat. I’ll pass on submitting for the mug.

So far this week, I’ve needed nudges for MMM, PGWCC, and WSJCC. This is after having had such a good week last week. Which only proves that as soon as you think you’re getting good at these ...
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:59 am Do you KNOW how frustrating it is to see everyone proclaiming the ease of the puzzle and the amazing construction when you are sitting there looking at a GRID and there is nothing but sounds of silence (and I'm not talking a S&G song). I see what I believe are bunnies galore and I am just not getting the tie-in from the mega hint.
I do not think this one is easy. Took me a while to figure out what was going on.
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Hmm... gone down a few rabbit holes at this stage, I'll take a nudge
TMart

Post by TMart »

I have an answer that is somewhat elegant, but doesn’t quite make the whole puzzle hang together as well as I’d like. I think I’ll spend some more time with Issac because, um, well.....I like to drink.

THINK - I meant THINK!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:31 pm Finally ashore. I like the concept.
I am crushed. I thought, until last Tuesday, that we were honored with a judge in our midst. :lol:
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
damefox

Post by damefox »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:15 am
I do not think this one is easy. Took me a while to figure out what was going on.
Yeah, seconded. This is not easy. Elegant yes, once you see it (I'm a tough critic and probably wouldn't call it "amazing"), but not easy.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

oldjudge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:48 pm
boharr wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 pm On shore. Took an early shove because I really wanted to watch baseball tonight (Go Yanks). But, alas, we may have a rainout. Bummer. Goes without saying I won't be submitting.
Official game-Yanks won 4-1. Cole only allowed one hit. 👍
This could be a wacky season. Some unexpected team or guy could get hot - or some rookie you never heard of. Will records count if they are made this year??
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

A Guinness at 10 am will make things clear up
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Yes, yes I do. :( I would still be hanging with Isaac all weekend had it not been for the kindness of strangers.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:20 am
oldjudge wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:48 pm
boharr wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:14 pm On shore. Took an early shove because I really wanted to watch baseball tonight (Go Yanks). But, alas, we may have a rainout. Bummer. Goes without saying I won't be submitting.
Official game-Yanks won 4-1. Cole only allowed one hit. 👍
This could be a wacky season. Some unexpected team or guy could get hot - or some rookie you never heard of. Will records count if they are made this year??
That's a good question. Maybe MLB has stocked away barrels of asterisks. The stuff of future crossword clues. And what happens if an entire starting lineup goes out with COVID? Still, my daughter and I are happy it's back. As is BudLight. Maybe the stuff for one of those beloved musical metas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN6rEGmt55w
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Feeling blue in the bar
Green with envy of those who said it’s easy
Red with rage that it won’t pop for me
Yellow with fear that I’ll sweat it all weekend
Orange you glad you’re on the beach? :mrgreen:
boharr

Post by boharr »

yourpalsal wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:35 am
People on the first page always say it's easy, and it's often the same people. By page three, people are saying, well, maybe it's not so easy. Perhaps even hard. When the pages get to the teens, we see the many struggles. This is a trend.
spotter

Post by spotter »

I'm at the crowded bar still. I need to get this figured out quickly because I'm starting to feel unsafe... I thought that maybe if I try to interpret things a little differently I'd find my way to the beach, but I'm still not seeing anything. Hopefully MGWCC will be a relatively quick solve as it's supposedly a week 3 difficulty for week 4.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

At the bar with Isaac. Seeing bits of fur here and there, but nothing yet. Lots of time yet!
Heidi
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

boharr wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:41 am
People on the first page always say it's easy, and it's often the same people. By page three, people are saying, well, maybe it's not so easy. Perhaps even hard. When the pages get to the teens, we see the many struggles. This is a trend.
It's a sampling problem. The people on the first page -- and they're not always the same people -- say it's easy because it was easy . . for them. That's why they're on the first page. But they're a highly skewed sample. Also, we tend to attribute our performance to the meta, not to ourselves. If I got it quickly and am on page one, it must be easy. If it took me a while, or if I didn't get it at all, it must be hard. But maybe what's different is not the difficulty of the meta but me -- better at some kinds of metas, worse at others.
Jay
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

The only muggle who said the meta was easy hadn't solved it & was making an assumption. Some said the grid was easy, but nobody who solved has said that the meta was easy.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bird Lives wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:09 am
boharr wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:41 am
It's a sampling problem. The people on the first page -- and they're not always the same people -- say it's easy because it was easy . . for them. That's why they're on the first page. But they're a highly skewed sample. Also, we tend to attribute our performance to the meta, not to ourselves. If I got it quickly and am on page one, it must be easy. If it took me a while, or if I didn't get it at all, it must be hard. But maybe what's different is not the difficulty of the meta but me -- better at some kinds of metas, worse at others.
Right. Not always. But often.