"Rename That Tune" - July 17,2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

Still with Isaac. Have headed down a more than a few rabbit holes. At this point I have something that if I look sideways and squint my eyes, it kind of looks like it might come close. Which to me means it probably isn't the right solution.

Well, it is still early, got a couple more days to stew on this.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

50 rabbit holes later I'm lost at sea, all a-hoo. I'll take a pitcher of Miller Lite, just one glass, thanks.

For the record I'm right handed writing, throwing, hitting golf/baseball/tennis, but lefty on the ice.
boharr

Post by boharr »

SeanS wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:54 pm 50 rabbit holes later I'm lost at sea, all a-hoo.
Only 50? The fun's just begun.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

My afternoon status is "on the ship." Some days, you're the windshield, some days you suck. Or something like that.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:29 pm My afternoon status is "on the ship."
This is by no means a good omen.
EVJ

Post by EVJ »

I finished the grid this morning. Now I’m in Phase 2.
Not getting any traction so I came here for a little inspiration. Isaac, 4 shot cappuccino please! Now I can let all these ideas percolate on the back burner. I’m at sea until further notice.
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

Solved. Agree with Damefox comments.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

I am keeping Isaac company. Though his personality is bubbly, I would like to be on a beach somewhere. I felt the grid had some flow, didn't need to google anything, and the parts where I was stuck could be gotten from the crossings. Just the right level of difficulty for a meta (still some brainpower left over for the meta).
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I'm part way there but I'm just coming up with nonsense words for the answer at the moment. I'm not going to let this one ruin my weekend.
femullen

Post by femullen »

A lunch-hour peruse of the grid (which I managed to finish this week), and I'm still happily aboard. If I have to first find the name of a tune in order to rename it, I'll be kicking back with Isaac all weekend long.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
femullen

Post by femullen »

SeanS wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:54 pm 50 rabbit holes later I'm lost at sea, all a-hoo. I'll take a pitcher of Miller Lite, just one glass, thanks.

For the record I'm right handed writing, throwing, hitting golf/baseball/tennis, but lefty on the ice.
Nothing to do with the problem at hand, but... I am fascinated that someone else is otherwise right handed but lefty with a hockey stick. I always had better control shooting left. More power on the right, but that doesn't count for much when you launch the puck into the stands.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Wow, talk about post-enlightenment! Came up with another idea and boom! Count me ashore!!

Very cool construction.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Well it was confirmed that one of my 50 inch deep rabbit holes was actually the right path. I think I’m actually more frustrated now though because I noticed two things that have to be connected but there is no logical or even illogical way to connect them.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

I'm currently in between hangovers, counting the one from last night and the ones I'm going to have this weekend. Tonight our band is playing for the first time since March 15th ("babe, what instrument did I play and where is it?") and golfing in a scramble tomorrow. I'm kidding; I don't get hangovers... but I am far less clear-headed than normal. I'm kidding again... this is far more normal than normal.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:24 pm I'm currently in between hangovers, counting the one from last night and the ones I'm going to have this weekend. Tonight our band is playing for the first time since March 15th ("babe, what instrument did I play and where is it?") and golfing in a scramble tomorrow. I'm kidding; I don't get hangovers... but I am far less clear-headed than normal. I'm kidding again... this is far more normal than normal.
Sounds like you should be live streaming tonight for our enjoyment/amusement!
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

FrankieHeck wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:27 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:24 pm I'm currently in between hangovers, counting the one from last night and the ones I'm going to have this weekend. Tonight our band is playing for the first time since March 15th ("babe, what instrument did I play and where is it?") and golfing in a scramble tomorrow. I'm kidding; I don't get hangovers... but I am far less clear-headed than normal. I'm kidding again... this is far more normal than normal.
Sounds like you should be live streaming tonight for our enjoyment/amusement!
^^+1
Larrry

Post by Larrry »

I have been lurking here for some time and finally registered to join the ranks of the Muggles in order to declare that I am on the beach and loved this meta. After missing two in a row glad to be able to start a new streak with a rewarding "Aha". Now to find an avatar...
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

femullen wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:22 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:54 pm 50 rabbit holes later I'm lost at sea, all a-hoo. I'll take a pitcher of Miller Lite, just one glass, thanks.

Nothing to do with the problem at hand, but... I am fascinated that someone else is otherwise right handed but lefty with a hockey stick. I always had better control shooting left. More power on the right, but that doesn't count for much when you launch the puck into the stands.
We share this trait with Bobby Orr and Wayne Gretzky, so we are in good company. I played in college (low level D3, nothing fancy) and coached high school for a few years. I've always heard anecdotally that if your dominant hand is on the "bottom", you'll be a better shooter, and if it's on the "top", you'll have more control passing and stickhandling. There is also a strange phenomenon of most American players being righty while most Canadians/Euros are lefty.

Anyway, back to the grid! I have a certain song from Goats Head Soup stuck in my head.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

And just like that... on shore. Have a great weekend everyone! And Al-- drive for show, putt for dough!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Well, I am sitting on an answer which a) is incredibly hard to do on a bar stool and b) the answer really doesn't like. Volunteering to chill with Isaac until the gin and vermouth atomizer remain available.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!