"Rename That Tune" - July 17,2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

femullen wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:22 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:54 pm 50 rabbit holes later I'm lost at sea, all a-hoo. I'll take a pitcher of Miller Lite, just one glass, thanks.

For the record I'm right handed writing, throwing, hitting golf/baseball/tennis, but lefty on the ice.
Nothing to do with the problem at hand, but... I am fascinated that someone else is otherwise right handed but lefty with a hockey stick. I always had better control shooting left. More power on the right, but that doesn't count for much when you launch the puck into the stands.
We are not alone...
Righty in everything else, but can shoot a puck left handed only.
Cannot even swing a bat or golf club lefty, though.
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Finally on shore after what seemed like hours staring at this one. Can now enjoy my Zombie Dust (Indiana IPA)!
Last edited by JordanianTomlinson on Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Wow! I am on shore! That was a workout. I’m a righty.

I forgot to chime in last week, but I saw APE first and I LOVE pineapple on my pizza!
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

Thought I was on to something but nada. It could be worse. My AC could be out on a 94 degree day. :|
Guy

Post by Guy »

on the boat per usual, and from the posts, i'm with stellar company....
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Wow. Ashore. [Insert Beatles song here]. Although Joe Cocker's version is my favorite.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Larrry wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:28 pm I have been lurking here for some time and finally registered to join the ranks of the Muggles in order to declare that I am on the beach and loved this meta. After missing two in a row glad to be able to start a new streak with a rewarding "Aha". Now to find an avatar...
Welcome!
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

still 11D...
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I think I found the mechanism. Can someone PM me to confirm I'm on the right track? I don't usually ask for help, but this one is driving me crazy! No hints, just a confirmation.
Heidi
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Definitely lost at sea, and have hardly even seen any rabbit holes. Will keep looking...
femullen

Post by femullen »

I see something emerging from the maritime haze on the horizon. Might be shore.

Or might be a five-inch gun.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:30 am
ky-mike wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 am Grid completed yesterday afternoon. Nothing of substance since then. I also have a tune in my head, but not sure if it is meant to deceive. May be a long weekend at the puzzle table.

I am right-handed, but shoot a rifle left-handed. When, as a kid, I was learning to shoot, my left eye was stronger than my right eye and could focus on the target better. Therefore, I learned to shoot a rifle focusing with my left eye and resting the butt of the rifle on my left shoulder.
The problems I found shooting left handed with a right handed gun are: the stock is beveled for right handed and that puts an edge right by your left shoulder. An M-1 ejects the bullet right over your head. If you shoot a double barreled shotgun, the two triggers are set up for right handed people and it is easy to fire both barrels at once if you are not aware.
I'm a righty. But the only thing I CAN do with both my my right and left hand well is epee fencing. This must be a useful skill in some world (when you need to stick them with the pointy end) :)
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
hunkra

Post by hunkra »

Belly-ing up to the bar with Isaac after a fairly breezy grid. Hoping to have a stroke of genius as I sip my Shandy.
Channeling Molly Weasley on a good day.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

On shore, but very nearly drowned along the way and had to be rescued. I’m still spitting up kelp.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

femullen wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:22 pm
SeanS wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:54 pm 50 rabbit holes later I'm lost at sea, all a-hoo. I'll take a pitcher of Miller Lite, just one glass, thanks.

For the record I'm right handed writing, throwing, hitting golf/baseball/tennis, but lefty on the ice.
Nothing to do with the problem at hand, but... I am fascinated that someone else is otherwise right handed but lefty with a hockey stick. I always had better control shooting left. More power on the right, but that doesn't count for much when you launch the puck into the stands.
I'm also righty and play hockey lefty. I can switch in a pinch but much prefer lefty. Same with brooms lol.

Everything else I do righty. EXCEPT THIS DARN META. I'm right stuck, left on the boat.
elementary

Post by elementary »

It's tough getting back into these after a few weeks away, so I'm in the same boat as Heidi. Can someone DM me to see if I'm on the right track?
Leslie

Post by Leslie »

I’m relaxing on the beach after a fun but arduous swim. Had the right idea early but wasn’t implementing it correctly at first. Nice one!
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

I'm going to discuss this puzzle with Isaac. Still on the boat
elementary

Post by elementary »

Ashore! Finally had the necessary aha moment. Thanks to all who nudged me along!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Finally ashore like a cat given a bath, hissing and clawing to the beach! Thanks to those who affirmed my mechanism, even though I applied it imperfectly.
Heidi