"Rename That Tune" - July 17,2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

A quick note to all

During the zoom call, I made several screenshots as it was easy to do. The intent was not to force any of us to dress up for the call but to put faces with names we see every week. If you don't want to be included, let me know by PM.

And like with most group photos, I will cut and paste to get the best shots of each of us. However I will still try to get Wendy's cat's tail in front of her face. LOL. and I will either use my iPhone or my wife's computer so I have a working camera.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Mega 60-down vibes over here... had to sleep on it. I do sorta agree with the earlier post about it not being *perfect* but I'm still really impressed.
Last edited by JPMalone on Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

I always remind myself that patience is a VIRtue when I beGIN these metas. I start with enthusIAsm. Then my bRAin begins to ache! But I wILl persist! It's a lovely morning for a stroll on the deck before I visit Isaac. That poor man--working 24/7 from Thursday afternoon to Sunday night every week of the year.
Beth Tyrpin

Post by Beth Tyrpin »

๐Ÿ
TPS

Post by TPS »

There are a few people on the web who have created โ€œMetaโ€ solving guides - I can tell you with 100% certainty (because Iโ€™ve tried using all the ones I could find) none of them work with this puzzle. To be fair, I find they rarely work with most of the puzzles but this one especially. And, I guess that is to be expected when someone creates something to solve and then says there are no rules.
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On Shore.
Left Hand Milk Stout chilling in the cooler (surrounded by all that extra ice left over from last week's debate!) for the hot weekend.
If the board were ever to do a poll of member, maybe include right/left handedness?
Wonder if left-handed Muggles are more than the 10% of the general population?
I'm a righty, with both kids left-handed.
boharr

Post by boharr »

michaelm wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:23 am On Shore.
If the board were ever to do a poll of member, maybe include right/left handedness?
I'm a righty. My wife is a lefty, as have been many generations of females in her family. Except our daughter, who bats left, catches right. Maybe I had some influence?
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 am
I'm a righty. My wife is a lefty, as have been many generations of females in her family. Except our daughter, who bats left, catches right. Maybe I had some influence?
Phil Mickelson, aka "Lefty", is right-handed, but started to learn to play golf, as soon as he could walk, by standing across from his right-handed dad & mimicking him.

[Edit1: Right-handed, here.]
Last edited by Joe Ross on Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
Janet P

Post by Janet P »

Still on the ship. Stern garden is free of weeds but thinking about starting more perennials ๐ŸŒธ ๐ŸŒบ ๐ŸŒผ for extra color in the spring. Hopefully Maine Marge is ok with that plan as it's a little early to belly-up to Isaac's bar.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:07 am Phil Mickelson, aka "Lefty", is right-handed, but started to learn to play golf, as soon as he could walk, by standing across from his right-handed dad & mimicking him.

My brother - who is a weirdo - when he was about 3 1/2 or 4 decided he liked the word left better than right and just refused to do anything right handed even though up until that point he was clearly right handed. It actually ended up working out well for him because he made himself left handed and then when it came time to play sports he found that he was right hand dominant but because he had spent some much time doing everything left handed that he had built up a high level of dexterity with that hand as well.
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

Grid was pretty quick for me, but it looks like Iโ€™ll be chasing rabbits for a while. And I have a tune stuck in my head. Time for more coffee = can Isaac make a cappuccino?
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Left Hand Milk Stout chilling in the cooler (surrounded by all that extra ice left over from last week's debate!) for the hot weekend.
Starboard
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

MarkL wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:47 am
Starboard
I am a southpaw
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Joe Ross wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:07 am
boharr wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:02 am
Phil Mickelson, aka "Lefty", is right-handed, but started to learn to play golf, as soon as he could walk, by standing across from his right-handed dad & mimicking him.

I am naturally left handed but I play sports which require weight right handed because my brother taught me - golf, tennis, baseball batting. But things like ping pong where he put me at the end of the table and hit balls at me I do left handed. Eating is left handed.

Beer drinking is both hands - sometimes at once
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Grid completed yesterday afternoon. Nothing of substance since then. I also have a tune in my head, but not sure if it is meant to deceive. May be a long weekend at the puzzle table.

I am right-handed, but shoot a rifle left-handed. When, as a kid, I was learning to shoot, my left eye was stronger than my right eye and could focus on the target better. Therefore, I learned to shoot a rifle focusing with my left eye and resting the butt of the rifle on my left shoulder.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

ky-mike wrote: โ†‘Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 am Grid completed yesterday afternoon. Nothing of substance since then. I also have a tune in my head, but not sure if it is meant to deceive. May be a long weekend at the puzzle table.

I am right-handed, but shoot a rifle left-handed. When, as a kid, I was learning to shoot, my left eye was stronger than my right eye and could focus on the target better. Therefore, I learned to shoot a rifle focusing with my left eye and resting the butt of the rifle on my left shoulder.
The problems I found shooting left handed with a right handed gun are: the stock is beveled for right handed and that puts an edge right by your left shoulder. An M-1 ejects the bullet right over your head. If you shoot a double barreled shotgun, the two triggers are set up for right handed people and it is easy to fire both barrels at once if you are not aware.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Good Friday morning muggles.

A challenge to most of us as we have only 26 on the shore and 12 on the ship.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Make it 13 on the ship, but some thoughts percolating - - hoping it's a good brew vs just evaporation . . .
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore with a smile this week after some near misses on Gaffney puzzles the last few times. Will relax and enjoy the view this weekend. Having a Lil Beaver Bro Science IPA to celebrate.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Well the easy part is done, the grid. I thought I might see a ladder over the side of the ship but so far it just doesn't have enough rungs. Not giving up though, hopefully this is one of those where it is "right there" I just don't see it yet.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!