"Rename That Tune" - July 17,2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

I’m with Isaac for now. Scotch on the rocks please!
Heidi
Anita

Post by Anita »

Grid fill was easy. But the meta is being elusive. Sorry I missed out on the Zoom! Is there any plan to do another one?
edot

Post by edot »

On the ship for now! Have an inkling of an idea on where to get started... just have to piece the rest together. Ditto on the Zoom- lovely pic of everyone. Will try to join next time!
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! Came here to post that I was 11D, and then suddenly the solution hit me! That was a satisfying meta to crack.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:28 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 pm
Below is a picture of the muggles in the weekly Zoom conference Tuesdays at 7:30 pm EDT. Also on the call was Jay Miller.
Could be my ancient monitor, but I'm having trouble reading the names. Do you mind providing a "top row from left" kind of listing of who's who in this delightful photo?

And, oh, BTW ...

On shore!

Good one!
The names are pretty tiny. If I hadn't been on the call, I wouldn't have been able to identify them either. Had I known we would be preserved for posterity, I would have tried to look nicer. Had come in from cutting grass and just had time for a quick shower before zooming. Thought I should at least do that, just in case any of the participants had "Smell -a-Vision".
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Still on the ship. I see something (or a couple of somethings) but don't know what to do with them. Will look again in the morning
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Tina wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 pm On shore! Came here to post that I was 11D, and then suddenly the solution hit me! That was a satisfying meta to crack.
I am more like 37A! Still on the ship.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I had spoken to Dom on my evening commute and thought we were done chatting for the evening. When I saw his call a little while ago, I thought "Uh-oh, what's wrong?" No - he was calling to report that he was on shore, and very impressed with the construction. As for me, grid is done, but the meta shore is far away.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:30 pm With only 1 page of messages 4 hours after posting I'd suspect this is a tough one. I'm still LAS.
Yeah this one is brutal - there are lots of rabbit holes but they are only an inch deep. But I am also probably the last person in the world who would ever solve this one.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I can't believe the method that finally worked, but I have no doubt I'm on shore! Amazing meta!
Abide

Post by Abide »

After an hour I have nothing more than a very good backsolve guess. Better sleep on it.
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald
Joe

Post by Joe »

Whoa. That is an amazing meta. I was No. Where. And then all of a sudden, it clicked. So glad I cracked it. This one would have driven me crazy all weekend!
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Gridded, but grinding. Hello, Isaac. Nice to see you.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Boom! Got my toes in the sand. Came to me pretty quickly, though had to do some fiddling to make it work. Nice one, though! How does Matt do it?

Oh, and I’m Zoom-curious, though to be honest the prospect is a little terrifying.

See you all tomorrow on the MGWCC board :)
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm
A combination of pixelization due to file size, your monitor, and old eyes.

Top row (L-R) yourpalsal, me (photo as my computer camera is broken), Joe Ross, Wendy Walker
Second row Kay Whitman, Steve b( beck), Scott Trerotola (streroto), Heidi
Third row Meg Duval, Claudia (screen name whimsy as pointed out by Joe Ross), Marie (screen name rexthree), Jay Livingston (screen name Bird Lives)
Fourth row SewYoung (aka Lisa), Brian Mac (to whom we owe a continuing debt of gratitude), Peter Abide, Tom Bassett (MajorDomoTom)
Thanks greatly, Robert!
steveb

Post by steveb »

I'm 11D for now. I finished the grid, and I'm wondering 41A? But give up? 48A!
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

Whew, I'm on shore. This is one of my favorites.

I pretty quickly jumped off the ship, but it took me a while to make it to solid ground. I was stuck, but then as I was taking out the trash I thought, Matt wouldn't have done that, would he? He did.
This isn't the first time I figured out the meta when I didn't have it in front of me. I can think more creatively that way.

After having so much trouble with the WSJ & MMMM last week it feels good to get this one tonight.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

On shore - it feels great to be in the tiki bar after last week's debacle, when I was so lost that I didn't even bother to check in here. A very clever concept indeed this time around!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Anita wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:27 pm Grid fill was easy. But the meta is being elusive. Sorry I missed out on the Zoom! Is there any plan to do another one?
Anita
Every Tuesday night - I will repost link on Monday. We talked about having the link on a separate page. The link is the same every week.

Hopefully you’ll join us Tuesday at 4:30pmPT/7:30pmET
YourPalSal's Muggle Meetup
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093

It is great putting faces, in some cases real names and personalities with the comments here.

Everyone is more than welcome.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ChrisKochmanski wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:09 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:41 pm
A combination of pixelization due to file size, your monitor, and old eyes.

Top row (L-R) yourpalsal, me (photo as my computer camera is broken), Joe Ross, Wendy Walker
Second row Kay Whitman, Steve b( beck), Scott Trerotola (streroto), Heidi
Third row Meg Duval, Claudia (screen name whimsy as pointed out by Joe Ross), Marie (screen name rexthree), Jay Livingston (screen name Bird Lives)
Fourth row SewYoung (aka Lisa), Brian Mac (to whom we owe a continuing debt of gratitude), Peter Abide, Tom Bassett (MajorDomoTom)
Thanks greatly, Robert!
Chris - good prod. I should have thought of it. A couple of others also wanted the names.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director