"Missing Links" - July 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 pm
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:59 pm 🏝😎🎟
For those keeping score at home, we have

Beth A posting #26 at 5:43
and
Beth T posting #31 at 5:59

curiouser and curiouser said Alice
Please Bob, don’t dare to look at the MMMM leaderboard!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

👁️👀🖐🏻🖐🏻🖐🏻🚫🐰🕳️🕳️>👁️👀✔️🐰&🏖️❗

🥱&👣🔜🛌🏻

☮️➕♥️♾️

😴
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Dplass wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:54 pm
Joe wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:43 pm Yup. On shore. True to form for the last few months. I either get it in two seconds or torture myself all weekend.
Me too. Either I get it instantly or I pretty much never will. Rarely do I "work at" a meta "until" I get it.
Sometimes it takes me all weekend. Don’t give up! Amazing how many rabbit holes you can discover if you put it aside for awhile.
Heidi
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Found the grid somewhat difficult, but got there. Now, on to the meta (unlike some of you, they don't just "jump" at me as I'm doing the grid . . . .). :-)
michaelm

Post by michaelm »

On Shore.
Definitely some geographical “deep cuts” in the grid.
As others have commented, nice to learn something(s) new while puzzling.
Have a nice weekend everyone. Stay cool!
Jace54

Post by Jace54 »

Was stuck so took a break by solving the Friday NYT crossword, then came back and finally figured it out. Very clever!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Count me back on the shore after last week’s weekend with Isaac.
BethA

Post by BethA »

Slightly off topic, but this group seems to enjoy discussions involving rabbits. I’ve seen some rabbit hole pictures posted earlier. I discovered these baby rabbits when I was just about ready to harvest my garlic about a week ago. Fortunately they moved out on their own just in time for the garlic harvest!

E6B4374A-C223-49C6-B9CB-08438972168C.jpeg
My favorite fun rabbit fact — a group of rabbits living together in the wild can be called a “fluffle”!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Andrew Bradburn wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 pm Since I won the mug a few weeks ago, I am now trying for consecutive solves -- up to nine with this one. I had to come back to it several times, as there were a lot of things that jumped out at me here; ultimately only one of them paid off. There is one key I have found to getting more quickly to that aha moment, in instances when the solution does not jump out at me right away. I have to keep reminding myself of it. It is possible is has been shared by others here; I will share my version of it on Monday.

I do have an easier time with Shenk than with Gaffney.
A genuine Muggsy Muggle? Please post a pic with that coveted prize!
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

Never heard of this comic before I googled "rabbit hole," but I like Young Mad Hatter's style!

Attachments
rabbit hole.jpg
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

We went to an Irish pub for dinner tonight. Based on Al's comment at the Zoom gathering, I decided to look up the correct pronunciation for Smithwick's. I have been totally saying it incorrectly. Unfortunately, I also said it incorrectly last fall when we were in Ireland--in Kilkenny (the home of Smithwick's). I guess that I needed this group last year.

So, I am enjoying a Smithwick's Irish Red ale--with Isaac. I have just begun my travels through the rabbit holes!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Ashore after missing some obvious links. Very fun and clever meta. I’d love a glass of wine, but the tiki bar has closed early tonight.
Alan H

Post by Alan H »

TPS wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:16 pm
Alan H wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:15 pm done. my year long streak was broken last week. hopefully another starts today
My two month long streak of not getting it is definitely not in jeopardy! :lol: :lol:
Like most other things in life, practice really helps. I certainly struggled a few years back when I started. I am sure others have told you, but go back through old Friday puzzles and solve them - there is no Sunday night deadline so less stress. you eventually become so much better, your solving % goes from 25 to 50 to 99% to “can I possibly solve it faster than Al Sisti just once in my life?” All of which is very rewarding. As far as other advice, print out the grid and solve in pen or pencil and keep a notebook to write things down and sketch ideas. I have found these puzzles are so visual. Our printer at home was broken last week So I solved online, and never saw Sulpa as a result (yes, I am still bitter!).
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

On shore - this warrants some barley pop :-)

Don’t know how our esteemed puzzle-istas keep coming up with new ideas, but my wife and I sure do appreciate it.

Happy solving and good health to you all,
Andrew Bradburn

Post by Andrew Bradburn »

yourpalsal wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:54 pm
Andrew Bradburn wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:35 pm Since I won the mug a few weeks ago, I am now trying for consecutive solves -- up to nine with this one. I had to come back to it several times, as there were a lot of things that jumped out at me here; ultimately only one of them paid off. There is one key I have found to getting more quickly to that aha moment, in instances when the solution does not jump out at me right away. I have to keep reminding myself of it. It is possible is has been shared by others here; I will share my version of it on Monday.

I do have an easier time with Shenk than with Gaffney.
A genuine Muggsy Muggle? Please post a pic with that coveted prize!
I believe some people have already done that in their avatars. As for me, the note from Mike Miller said that due to Covid-19, there is no one in the WSJ office who can ship it right now, so there will be a delay of who knows how long.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

SusieG wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:20 pm Ashore after missing some obvious links. Very fun and clever meta. I’d love a glass of wine, but the tiki bar has closed early tonight.
W-wait, what?? Closed? Well, serves me right. I stared at the grid for probably an hour while lots of people were posting that they had solved... and nothing. And now, after an hour or five of drin.... trivia... I saw it right away. The brain, right?
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

On shore this morning. Does two weeks in a row constitute a "streak"?
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 pm
Beth Tyrpin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:59 pm 🏝😎🎟
For those keeping score at home, we have

Beth A posting #26 at 5:43
and
Beth T posting #31 at 5:59

curiouser and curiouser said Alice
It’s not about the destination, it’s about the journey.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Bob, looks like Friday stern garden duty again for me. Isaac knows me well now, so he just appeared with a cooler full of mimosas.
Life is good! I see a plethora of rabbits to keep me company as well.

Reality check:
8879F849-7FB0-4D88-A7A1-579C00840A1D.jpeg
Savoring the waning peonies- this is Coral Charm.
Onward and upward in the garden!
The delphiniums will have the next starring roles, supported by a cast of seasoned extras.