"Missing Links" - July 10, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
Locked
User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Re: "Missing Links" - July 10, 2020

#501

Post by DrTom » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Oh, and as an addendum - I saw MAN before APE (imagining that is the non-pineapple crowd?) My process was like may others looking at the slight changes in spelling of some words (PARAPET PAPEETE, CAPERS TAPERS, RIALS REAL, OMAR OMAN, as well as chasing numbers (nine, ten Troi, one) but it was the OMAR OMAN that made me look first, after which I saw gerMANe then tacoMAN and when I noticed there were 5 I knew that had to be part of the mechanism. It was going back to the parAPEt and pAPEete where the APEs jumped out at me. I was lucky that it was the first E that was part of APE because I had no idea about PAPEETE and I had LEDA spelled LIDA. Had it been in the DEEM position I'd probably still be looking.

User avatar
Hector
Posts: 848
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 pm
Location: San Francisco
Contact:

#502

Post by Hector » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Joepickett wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:29 pm
What is the name of the song and your band? I must have missed that story.
I believe it was "All of Me," a track recorded for a college band album that was never released. An enterprising music industry person rounded up material like that to shop to media producers, who have to pay $$$ for rights to commercially-released music. As it happens, for that clip I cleared a pay-day well up into the three figures. (He's since gone out of that business, to the surprise of few.)

User avatar
LadyBird
Posts: 160
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:20 pm
Location: Chicagoland

#503

Post by LadyBird » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 pm

DrTom wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:41 pm
KayW wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 am
I got diverted into a rabbit hole trying to "link" several of the 7-letter entries that were anagrams of each other with a two-letter difference:

paRApet - papeEtE
actEDon - tacoMAn
aCTedon - oneadAY
GeRmane - emanATe - enameLS

All of course a side-effect of working so many APE-MANs into close proximity in the grid. What an amazing construction!
Boy, talk about conditioned! I saw a bird and a bunch of random letters capitalized and spent the last 5 minutes trying to make a bird name! But unless there is a RAEEEDMACTAYRATLS (which may or may not be a relative of the pterodactyl) I wasted my time. Sorry KayW, thought you were LadyBird for a moment!

Oh, and I completely missed the Louis Leakey reference. I'm getting better but I am still not a "ready for prime time muggle".

Sorry I missed Tuesday evening, rather grueling day at work and I opted for alcohol and Wheel/Jeopardy rather than take my upset and addled self on line.
If you used some Olde English spelling, you could have RaEeeDmacTAYratLs (hawk).

User avatar
Al Sisti
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Whitesboro NY

#504

Post by Al Sisti » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:47 pm

Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:30 pm
Al Sisti wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 pm
I don't mind.
Were you there? Yesterday? In disguise?
Nope... I golfed horribly and I tend to take that home with me... I probably wouldn't have been much fun. So, was I missed? So was every wedge I tried to hit. See, there I go again...

User avatar
Meg
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:41 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL

#505

Post by Meg » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:49 pm

Al Sisti wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:47 pm
Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:30 pm
Al Sisti wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 pm
I don't mind.
Were you there? Yesterday? In disguise?
Nope... I golfed horribly and I tend to take that home with me... I probably wouldn't have been much fun. So, was I missed? So was every wedge I tried to hit. See, there I go again...
Of course we missed you! I don’t remember anybody mentioning your absence, but you could feel a tremor in the force.....

User avatar
Al Sisti
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:28 pm
Location: Whitesboro NY

#506

Post by Al Sisti » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:50 pm

Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:49 pm
Al Sisti wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:47 pm
Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:30 pm


Were you there? Yesterday? In disguise?
Nope... I golfed horribly and I tend to take that home with me... I probably wouldn't have been much fun. So, was I missed? So was every wedge I tried to hit. See, there I go again...
Of course we missed you! I don’t remember anybody mentioning your absence, but you could feel a tremor in the force.....
Off course. I mean of course. Okay, next week, no matter what.

User avatar
hcbirker
Posts: 602
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:24 pm
Location: Studio City, CA

#507

Post by hcbirker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:55 pm

Just heard from Chris Adams that Grids for Good has raised over $50,000! (And yes Al, we missed you!)
Heidi

User avatar
whimsy
Posts: 152
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:51 am
Location: Hopkinton MA

#508

Post by whimsy » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:22 pm

Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Bob cruise director wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm
It was great to see everyone again last night. Wonderful discussion a variety of topics.

While we were talking, I took a few screenshots. I was going to post them here but if anyone objects I won't. Now the disclaimer. Anyone who has taken group pictures (wedding, reunion, family get togethers), knows that there is always 10% on any shot that are blinking, yawing or something else. The options are a lot of photoshopping or take the best one as long as no one is that bad.(and hope it is not you).
No objections from me. I seem to recall, Bob, that you just had an avatar showing. No actual video of you. Some kind of conspiracy, I’m sure.......
I'm good --- especially if it's one with me holding up a backwards whimsy sign in front of my face!

User avatar
yourpalsal
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:28 am

#509

Post by yourpalsal » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:32 pm

Al Sisti wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:47 pm
Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:30 pm
Al Sisti wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:08 pm
I don't mind.
Were you there? Yesterday? In disguise?
Nope... I golfed horribly and I tend to take that home with me... I probably wouldn't have been much fun. So, was I missed? So was every wedge I tried to hit. See, there I go again...
LOL! I'm a pretty rabid, and ragged, golfer myself. One of these days we'll have a muggles outing on the links!

User avatar
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director
Posts: 1855
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:38 pm
Location: any golf course that will take my money

#510

Post by Bob cruise director » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:35 pm

Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Bob cruise director wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm
It was great to see everyone again last night. Wonderful discussion a variety of topics.

While we were talking, I took a few screenshots. I was going to post them here but if anyone objects I won't. Now the disclaimer. Anyone who has taken group pictures (wedding, reunion, family get togethers), knows that there is always 10% on any shot that are blinking, yawing or something else. The options are a lot of photoshopping or take the best one as long as no one is that bad.(and hope it is not you).
No objections from me. I seem to recall, Bob, that you just had an avatar showing. No actual video of you. Some kind of conspiracy, I’m sure.......
The only conspiracy is that I was using my computer and the camera is broken. On the other two conferences, I was using my wife's computer where the camera works. She had gone home from Maine yesterday with her computer.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

SewYoung
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:25 pm
Location: Meridian, MS

#511

Post by SewYoung » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:38 pm

Meg wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:40 pm
Bob cruise director wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm
It was great to see everyone again last night. Wonderful discussion a variety of topics.

While we were talking, I took a few screenshots. I was going to post them here but if anyone objects I won't. Now the disclaimer. Anyone who has taken group pictures (wedding, reunion, family get togethers), knows that there is always 10% on any shot that are blinking, yawing or something else. The options are a lot of photoshopping or take the best one as long as no one is that bad.(and hope it is not you).
No objections from me. I seem to recall, Bob, that you just had an avatar showing. No actual video of you. Some kind of conspiracy, I’m sure.......
I'm O.K. with it.

User avatar
Bird Lives
Posts: 405
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:43 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

#512

Post by Bird Lives » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:42 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:06 pm
It was great to see everyone again last night. Wonderful discussion a variety of topics.

While we were talking, I took a few screenshots. I was going to post them here but if anyone objects I won't. Now the disclaimer. Anyone who has taken group pictures (wedding, reunion, family get togethers), knows that there is always 10% on any shot that are blinking, yawing or something else. The options are a lot of photoshopping or take the best one as long as no one is that bad.(and hope it is not you).
OK with me.

User avatar
Dplass
Posts: 358
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:09 am
Location: Long Island, New York

#513

Post by Dplass » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:55 pm

KayW wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 am
I got diverted into a rabbit hole trying to "link" several of the 7-letter entries that were anagrams of each other with a two-letter difference:

paRApet - papeEtE
actEDon - tacoMAn
aCTedon - oneadAY
GeRmane - emanATe - enameLS

All of course a side-effect of working so many APE-MANs into close proximity in the grid. What an amazing construction!
Same!

User avatar
DrTom
Posts: 759
Joined: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:46 pm
Location: Jacksonville, FL

#514

Post by DrTom » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:43 am

LadyBird wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:46 pm
DrTom wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:41 pm
KayW wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:03 am
I got diverted into a rabbit hole trying to "link" several of the 7-letter entries that were anagrams of each other with a two-letter difference:

paRApet - papeEtE
actEDon - tacoMAn
aCTedon - oneadAY
GeRmane - emanATe - enameLS

All of course a side-effect of working so many APE-MANs into close proximity in the grid. What an amazing construction!
Boy, talk about conditioned! I saw a bird and a bunch of random letters capitalized and spent the last 5 minutes trying to make a bird name! But unless there is a RAEEEDMACTAYRATLS (which may or may not be a relative of the pterodactyl) I wasted my time. Sorry KayW, thought you were LadyBird for a moment!

Oh, and I completely missed the Louis Leakey reference. I'm getting better but I am still not a "ready for prime time muggle".

Sorry I missed Tuesday evening, rather grueling day at work and I opted for alcohol and Wheel/Jeopardy rather than take my upset and addled self on line.
If you used some Olde English spelling, you could have RaEeeDmacTAYratLs (hawk).
Ah yes Ye Olde Hawke (or to be really Old English hafoc).

User avatar
MajordomoTom
Posts: 689
Joined: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:09 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

#515

Post by MajordomoTom » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:32 pm

glad to have met you guys/gals in the "virtual flesh" ... wish I could have stayed longer, but my wife was calling about our take-out dinner and I had to take the call.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.

Locked