"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm I have an answer of sorts, but it BArely makes sense--I couLD venture to say that it makes no sense. Which lEAds me to think that I should just keep paddling around for a while (which should feel good in this hot and humid weather) and explore other possible anGLEs.

Never mind. My dear husband just towed me to shore! He'll have a pina colada. Maybe he'll share with me.
‐-----------
On another note, o wise and quirky muggles. Any suggestions for something fun go have delivered to our son and his wife this weekend. They were supposed to come up this weekend to visit us and her folks, but they are now laying low since she was exposed to a patient who was then found to have Covid. It's been one thing after another: delayed honeymoon to Europe canceled,; grad school graduation canceled; job that was supposed to start last month now delayed ( perhaps forever), and now this. Thanks!
Do they like jigsaw puzzles? I even saw one online that’s entirely clear! That would be a challenge! Or maybe some meal kits?
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

CPKdad wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:57 pm On shore. I love tackling a week 1 after coming up short the prior week!
Week one is the MGWCC. WSJ is random difficulty.
Heidi
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. This type of meta has given me problems in the past, but I finally realized for what it is. And I was close to overthinking it and doing an extra step.
joequavis

Post by joequavis »

Ashore! That was very cool, loved it. Got a late start on it this week. Grid was straightforward, and like Bird said, I got a chuckle out of this too
ALECgator13

Post by ALECgator13 »

Back to finishing the grid after not having much time the last couple of weeks. Still LAS on the meta though
edot

Post by edot »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm I have an answer of sorts, but it BArely makes sense--I couLD venture to say that it makes no sense. Which lEAds me to think that I should just keep paddling around for a while (which should feel good in this hot and humid weather) and explore other possible anGLEs.

Never mind. My dear husband just towed me to shore! He'll have a pina colada. Maybe he'll share with me.
‐-----------
On another note, o wise and quirky muggles. Any suggestions for something fun go have delivered to our son and his wife this weekend. They were supposed to come up this weekend to visit us and her folks, but they are now laying low since she was exposed to a patient who was then found to have Covid. It's been one thing after another: delayed honeymoon to Europe canceled,; grad school graduation canceled; job that was supposed to start last month now delayed ( perhaps forever), and now this. Thanks!

You could get them a cocktail making set (shakers, stirrer, etc.) and book of drink recipes! We’ve been having fun trying to make different new drinks (and I’ll be having plenty once I’m able to finally solve this meta!)
Inca

Post by Inca »

My stress test has begun.
Here's how it works:
  • Fill the grid.
  • See nothing but 4 pages of muggles mostly saying they got it.
  • Feeling I'll never get this so might as well give up (accompanied by a lot of other negative self-talk that goes by so quickly, I don't even know what it is...just that it was negative)
  • Let it keep on eating at me despite deciding to just forget it.
But I will just leave it for now....maybe to return for another look later in the weekend.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Filled out the grid and have just barely started looking for the meta.

BUT, I wanted to make sure you all knew about GRIDS FOR GOOD. There are some metas included. It's a great collection for a great cause and can be downloaded (for a donation of $10 or more) at gridsforgood.org.

This is from Evan Birnholz:

I am very proud to announce the release of Grids for Good! This is a collection of 42 crosswords and variety puzzles by 44 different constructors to raise money for coronavirus relief and as well as organizations fighting against institutional racism.

The set contains 19 themed crosswords, 13 themeless crosswords, 7 variety puzzles, and 3 metapuzzles! The metas are part of a contest. Send your meta answers to gridsforgood AT gmail DOT com by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on July 18 for a chance to win an @InkubatorXWords swag bag!
Last edited by Thurman8er on Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

Ashore.
Odd swim, but ashore all the same.
Schmeel

Post by Schmeel »

I'll take 33A as a mazel tov from Matt for my daughter's celebration last week. Thanks!
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

hcbirker wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:14 pm
CPKdad wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:57 pm On shore. I love tackling a week 1 after coming up short the prior week!
Week one is the MGWCC. WSJ is random difficulty.
Hmm. I thought they were both like that. Interesting.
CallMeShane

Post by CallMeShane »

Done
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I was 7 for 9 since starting these. Guess I'm going to be 7 for 10. No clue.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Joepickett wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 am I was 7 for 9 since starting these. Guess I'm going to be 7 for 10. No clue.
It’s only Friday. You have lots of time yet. Keep the grid around and take a peek from time to time. Sleep on it. Let it percolate in your unconscious. That aha moment may well hit you.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Ashore. Grid last night. Meta this morning. It was that kind of puzzle. Very enjoyable as it appeared to me. Enjoy the holiday weekend 🇺🇸
Cindy

Post by Cindy »

‐-----------
Look at Goldbelly.com. You can get many different foodS from all over the country. It’s expensive but during quarantine my Neighbors have ordered lox and bagels from NY, pizza from Chicago, etc. An interesting treat since no one is going out.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Thurman8er wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:22 am Filled out the grid and have just barely started looking for the meta.

BUT, I wanted to make sure you all knew about GRIDS FOR GOOD. There are some metas included. It's a great collection for a great cause and can be downloaded (for a donation of $10 or more) at gridsforgood.com.

I am very proud to announce the release of Grids for Good! This is a collection of 42 crosswords and variety puzzles by 44 different constructors to raise money for coronavirus relief and as well as organizations fighting against institutional racism.

The set contains 19 themed crosswords, 13 themeless crosswords, 7 variety puzzles, and 3 metapuzzles! The metas are part of a contest. Send your meta answers to gridsforgood AT gmail DOT com by 11:59 pm Pacific Time on July 18 for a chance to win an @InkubatorXWords swag bag!
gridsforgood.com doesn't seem to exist.
mattythewsjpuzzler

Post by mattythewsjpuzzler »

Safely ashore (yesterday actually). Thanks Matt for a relatively light effort for the long weekend! Happy 4th everyone!
Streroto

Post by Streroto »

Ashore. Fun. Happy 4th of July muggles!!!!!!!
Meg

Post by Meg »

Dplass wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:17 am
Thurman8er wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:22 am Filled out the grid and have just barely started looking for the meta.

BUT, I wanted to make sure you all knew about GRIDS FOR GOOD. There are some metas included. It's a great collection for a great cause and can be downloaded (for a donation of $10 or more) at gridsforgood.com.

gridsforgood.com doesn't seem to exist.
The website is gridsforgood.org
The email address for sending in your meta answer is gridsforgood@gmail.com
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.