"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Happy 4th to all on the board. I will be celebrating with a little Kentucky nectar:
IMG_Jul42020at34223PM.jpg
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

I’m still with Isaac. Using what I believe is the mechanism, gives me an answer. The problem—the answer doesn’t make sense.🙁
TPS

Post by TPS »

Big fan of the PVW FR!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm Happy 4th to all on the board. I will be celebrating with a little Kentucky nectar:
Damn, son! I am thirsty!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

In all honesty, I’m more of a scotch guy, but you gotta drink real American whiskey on the 4th.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:43 pm Happy 4th to all on the board. I will be celebrating with a little Kentucky nectar:

I have a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year lot B. Not bad, but hard to find near retail. I prefer Weller 12 year. Hard to find as well.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

That bottle was a gift from a friend in Versailles.
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

Totally fun! Ashore.
TPS

Post by TPS »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:56 pm In all honesty, I’m more of a scotch guy, but you gotta drink real American whiskey on the 4th.
Yeah, my go to is Macallan 18 but I do enjoy an interesting bourbon or rye.
rexthree

Post by rexthree »

lost at sea. feel like i'm going in circles.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

If I'm going to drink single malts I like the smokey, peaty ones like Lagavulin and Laphroaig. Most of the time I will just enjoy Blue.
Hector

Post by Hector »

Smoley hokes, 107 proof! That'd probably melt my straw.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Whoa! That is indeed *the* nectar!
burak

Post by burak »

I'm doing what the mechanism is telling me to do and I'm getting a nonsensical answer. There are some metas that are particularly difficult for people like me, and this is one of them and I almost always hate those. Very few exceptions.

I can see why the majority would like this one though, yet I feel unintentionally discriminated against. Oh well.

Edit: Well, kinda miraculously I solved it. I'd like to thank TPS for listening me rant about why this one is particularly difficult for me (I'll write more after the deadline without fear of spoilers but people who're familiar with my posts might know what's going on here) and kindly suggesting a method that could help me in the future.
Last edited by burak on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TPS

Post by TPS »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:27 pm If I'm going to drink single malts I like the smokey, peaty ones like Lagavulin and Laphroaig. Most of the time I will just enjoy Blue.
I have to be in the right mood for a peaty scotch like Lagavulin - I’m no Ron Swanson. I remember the first time I had Lagavulin when I was a I-banker and we were out at the Sullivan’s steakhouse in Austin after we closed a deal and one of the MDs bought a bottle of Lagavulin 1976 - I think it was $9,000 or something ridiculous like that. I took a sip and my first thoughts were “This tastes like what I imagine a band aid would taste like in liquid form.” So those two ounces were definitely wasted on me - since then my palate has evolved and I can appreciate a peaty scotch now but Speysides are still my goto.

If I am going to drink a blend 90% of the time it’s going to be Dimplepinch the other 10% it’s going to be Chivas.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

To those who found something but it doesn't make sense: I'm with you! I went ahead and submitted my something that doesn't make sense, but this is probably the least sure I've been about an answer (especially after seeing how confident others seem to be!). Anyway, although I can't offer any reassurance that you're on the right track, I'd still encourage you to send in what you found. Because you never know, and I'd prefer not to be alone on my weird beach :-) Looking forward to the reveal!
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm I have an answer of sorts, but it BArely makes sense--I couLD venture to say that it makes no sense. Which lEAds me to think that I should just keep paddling around for a while (which should feel good in this hot and humid weather) and explore other possible anGLEs.

Never mind. My dear husband just towed me to shore! He'll have a pina colada. Maybe he'll share with me.
‐-----------
On another note, o wise and quirky muggles. Any suggestions for something fun go have delivered to our son and his wife this weekend. They were supposed to come up this weekend to visit us and her folks, but they are now laying low since she was exposed to a patient who was then found to have Covid. It's been one thing after another: delayed honeymoon to Europe canceled,; grad school graduation canceled; job that was supposed to start last month now delayed ( perhaps forever), and now this. Thanks!
I'm not sure about the wise part, but quirky fits me! Your daughter in law is apparently in the medical field so she might find something a bit healthier to be refreshingly quirky. Have you considered an edible bouquet? When my wife was hospitalized last year, the edible bouquets were our favorite surprise deliveries.
Doug C

Post by Doug C »

Got a late start as have been fully enjoying this holiday weekend with family, friends, golf and sunshine. I consider myself very fortunate to have lived in 5 different countries and traveled to dozens more but absolutely and truly blessed to have been born, raised and living in the USA! Happy Independence Day to everyone.

As for the puzzle: I am on a shore with a what seems a reasonable answer. Completed the grid last night, woke up early to put two pork shoulders on the smoker and saw the path.
Meg

Post by Meg »

It bears repeating, especially for those who are drinking god-knows-what peaty thing with Isaac, that this meta is wacky. Or wackadoodle for BBT fans. So if your tunnel leads you to a rabbit that seems a bit abnormal, stay with it. You can figure it out.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

Still on the boat.