"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore!! Finally—had that AHA moment. Definitely on the wacky side, but we’re all a bit wacky in our own way :)
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

wandering around one of the decks on the ship with a cold adult beverage, waiting for the evening firework show.

EDIT: and now that I've caught up on the postings here and looked at the puzzle (and Dr. Tom's last posting), I'm seeing the first step. I have some pieces and now need to build the answer.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Djquimby wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:58 amOn the shore
This reminded me of this.

https://youtu.be/JfhV_ezOxgA
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Yes, we are a thoroughly eclectic (and occasionally eccentric) bunch ... but the wackiest thing about this meta is that I managed to solve it! Who knew my powers of observation would get keener in direct proportion to my holiday beer consumption? Here's wishing all a safe, relaxing and rewarding Fourth.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Tom Wilson wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:56 pm Who knew my powers of observation would get keener in direct proportion to my holiday beer consumption?
I think all the engineers here can verify this axiom.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

On shore, looking for the shaved ice stand ... do they pour lime & tequila over them on this island?
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Mega meta meh. Some form of enlightenment struck moments after the Sarurday report. If I am on the right beach, then it wasnt worth the effort and 'stress.' Maybe it's me. Count me as washed up on a shore.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

Happy 4th! On shore, as usual it was a team effort with the wifey :)
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

boharr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:59 pm
Tom Wilson wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:56 pm Who knew my powers of observation would get keener in direct proportion to my holiday beer consumption?
I think all the engineers here can verify this axiom.
It's somewhere between an a law and a theorem.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Tautology
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

802puzzler wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:00 pm Grid solved, but nothing is jumping out at me re: the meta. Guess I better go for a sweltering hike or sleep on it! 😉
Still LAS. I am just not seeing anything conclusive! I'll probably kick myself on Monday when the solution is revealed!!!
JennyByrd

Post by JennyByrd »

I am lost at sea, floating in circles and have been since Thursday night. It’s too hot to go outside, so making pulled pork in the crockpot and hoping for a flash of inspiration.

Wishing you all a fun 4th of July!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm I have an answer of sorts, but it BArely makes sense--I couLD venture to say that it makes no sense. Which lEAds me to think that I should just keep paddling around for a while (which should feel good in this hot and humid weather) and explore other possible anGLEs.

Never mind. My dear husband just towed me to shore! He'll have a pina colada. Maybe he'll share with me.
‐-----------
On another note, o wise and quirky muggles. Any suggestions for something fun go have delivered to our son and his wife this weekend. They were supposed to come up this weekend to visit us and her folks, but they are now laying low since she was exposed to a patient who was then found to have Covid. It's been one thing after another: delayed honeymoon to Europe canceled,; grad school graduation canceled; job that was supposed to start last month now delayed ( perhaps forever), and now this. Thanks!
In case you"re still working on your gifting ideas --
This goes back to the days before you could order anything online --
I both received and gave picnic baskets filled with selected goodies in the past, and today I actually just put a plant in a basket that I got 40 plus years ago and am still using. So I like all the ideas about food and drink and accompanying gizmos. And see if you can manage to have it arrive in something special that will still be around as a reminder after everything's been scarfed and guzzled down! :)
BTW -- I love deciphering your birdiegrams each week!
boharr

Post by boharr »

whimsy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:01 pm
LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm
They can be as difficult as metas!
BethA

Post by BethA »

Just reporting in...I accidentally locked myself in my cabin. I think it might be another brain cloud. Totally lost at sea, but I have lots of ideas — too many! Getting lots of mental exercise this weekend!

Happy 4th!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:48 pmTautology
Well yes but you have to be more specific. In particular the ology I taught was Pharmacology. I taught that for many years...

I thought about teaching cosmetology but that made me blush and astrology, well let's just say that the stars never aligned correctly.

If you are going to lob punny material at me, do not be surprised if I try to hit it back over the net. :lol:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

boharr wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:08 pm
whimsy wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:01 pm
LadyBird wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:34 pm
They can be as difficult as metas!
Wait until I pull out some Hawaiian birds that are practically all vowels! :shock:
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:52 pm
MajordomoTom wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:48 pmTautology
Well yes but you have to be more specific. In particular the ology I taught was Pharmacology. I taught that for many years...

I thought about teaching cosmetology but that made me blush and astrology, well let's just say that the stars never aligned correctly.

If you are going to lob punny material at me, do not be surprised if I try to hit it back over the net. :lol:
TIGHTly enough done.

It's TAUT-ology, not TAUNT-ology.
STL-D

Post by STL-D »

Got it. Wow!
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

On shore, getting ready to sip on a Newcastle Brown Ale to go with steaks that I've been told that I will be grilling.

I started on the right track for the mechanism, abandoned it as not making sense, later guessed at the solution but could not find a mechanism to support it. Then much later I retried the mechanism saw how it led to the solution.