"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

After three weeks stuck on the ship, I’m finally ashore. Vodka martini, please!
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

boharr wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:11 am
BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:43 am
Joepickett wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 am I was 7 for 9 since starting these. Guess I'm going to be 7 for 10. No clue.
It’s only Friday. You have lots of time yet. Keep the grid around and take a peek from time to time. Sleep on it. Let it percolate in your unconscious. That aha moment may well hit you.
And if it keeps you up all night as it percolates? See a shrink? Drink more?
Slept on it and no dice. I tried printing it this morning and filling it in again. I found that I didn't even need the clues since I had been staring at my earlier completed one so long. Re-read past Gaffney puzzles for help(?) That just caused more suffering. Guess I will see the answer on Monday.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 am
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 pm
Beth C wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:55 pm Toes in the sand. Solving the meta took a while but finally the light came on! Have a safe and fun weekend Muggles.
After yesterday's solve, recalling that LAS is our shorthand for Lost at Sea, I started typing shorthand for "Toes in the sand," but quickly decided against it.
Hmmm, perhaps that's why the Apollo program, though normally very fond of abbreviations, never used one for "back at lunar lander site"?

Sorry everyone, blame Al he started this, musical group discussions, and oh so many other things. (gosh I do love commamenting on things while wearing my oxfords - Mwah Ha Ha)
As ex-military (I sorta remember that you are), you must remember all that Super High Intensity Training you had to put up with?
Rufus T. Firefly
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

It came to me last night while streaming a show. I'm now firmly on land.

Nice puzzle!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

Jackie88 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:35 am After three weeks stuck on the ship, I’m finally ashore. Vodka martini, please!
After three weeks on the shore, I’m on the ship!
Toby

Post by Toby »

Am I alone in seeing two acceptable answers here?
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

Toby wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:44 am Am I alone in seeing two acceptable answers here?
You have two more than I've got.
I am a man of few...
TPS

Post by TPS »

Toby wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:44 am Am I alone in seeing two acceptable answers here?
I frequently see two acceptable answers - I think both the ZT & TALLY puzzle’s had two answers that worked - but the way this one was explained to me - there is only 1 possible answer - it’s probably the most 100% puzzle I’ve seen.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

After a good night’s sleep I finally put it together! Very clever indeed. Happy 4th muggles.
edot

Post by edot »

Still on the ship! Stuck on one rabbit hole in particular that I can’t seem to get out of my head
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Regulars here will find a familiar face (or voice) in the Sunday NYT Magazine acrostic. (Note the word "famed" in the definition.)
Jay
Colin

Post by Colin »

Stuck onboard enjoying a nice cup of tea! I know that might not be a patriotic drink for many on this particular day, but the sun is not yet over the yardarm and I am a fairly recent immigrant.
Darn - someone just threw my teapot out the porthole!
Anyway, Happy 4th to all Mugglers!
One world. One planet. One future.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

My usual result is that I get within smelling distance of the mechanism for the meta, but don't quite hit on how to execute. Not this week - - not even a whiff yet.
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

On the shore
femullen

Post by femullen »

MileHighSolver wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:41 am Landed ashore on Friday night just before last call! Make me a double so I can catch up.

I enjoyed this one. I’m still waiting for a Mad magazine-like meta where you fold the puzzle just so to reveal the answer.
Don't give them ideas!
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Happy Independence Day muggles

I hope everyone is enjoying the day and staying safe

And we welcome our newest muggle - gourtogo

So far we have 22 keeping the maskless Isaac company on the ship and 91 on the shore in a unique challenge from the always nefarious Matt Gaffney

On the ship we have
SewYoung
Jeffrey
Mark L
Joepickett
Inca
Commodore
ALECgator13
Wendy
dplass
Tom S
802 puzzler
Susan G
gourtogo
JeanneC
Whimsy
Amy
higgysue
cbarbee002
Toby
edot
Geezer
and Colin

On the shore are
Al
Hector
Chris
C=64
Frankie (and I asked my daughter and granddaughter about the implications of your name -I was not aware of that before the videoconference)
Steveb
Meg
Heidi
michaelm
Bird Lives
joe
Mike H
Brian M
damefox
Tina
spotter
Scott M
Blair
Joe R
Tmart
Cindy
Les
Laura M
Dow Jones
boharr
BarbaraK
paige11
yourpalsal
Emmajane
ALS
Cynthia J
Beth T
oldjudge
Obie J
Ky-mike
Jace54
dudeski
ladybird
WDunbar
Mmac
Abide
joequavis
CallMeShane
FrankH
RDaleHall
Janet
streroto
Bill T
Janet P
Schmeel
CPKDad
matty
HedinHome
Jeffrey G
TPS
Fred
Lacangah
Kris
DrTom
Nalugirl
sanmilton
DBMiller
David K
Kay
tonyrobots
Jack
Homer
Jordanian
Eric P
seans
tim1217
joes
Beth C
Trey and Marion
Cindy N
Lbray53
Peter L
KscX
femullen
the Thurman8er
MaineMarge
moi
MileHighsolver
LaceyK
ErikThor
M and M
Jackie88
MatthewB
Geoduck
djquimby
and Susie G

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

I'm ashore with lots of help.
Miki

Post by Miki »

It's been years since I've been stomped like I am stomped this week. No clue!
Isaac, I think I need a strong one...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tom Shea wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:04 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:22 am
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:03 pm

After yesterday's solve, recalling that LAS is our shorthand for Lost at Sea, I started typing shorthand for "Toes in the sand," but quickly decided against it.
Hmmm, perhaps that's why the Apollo program, though normally very fond of abbreviations, never used one for "back at lunar lander site"?

Sorry everyone, blame Al he started this, musical group discussions, and oh so many other things. (gosh I do love commamenting on things while wearing my oxfords - Mwah Ha Ha)
As ex-military (I sorta remember that you are), you must remember all that Super High Intensity Training you had to put up with?
I remember it as being a Particularly Invasive Aggregation and often a bunch of Carefully Rendered Alliterative Practices.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Oh, I don't know if you are alone, but I'd bet you are in VERY social distanced company. The answer to this one is pretty tight, the Title, mechanism and clue really are pretty strongly integrated. Of course who am I to say, I've managed to be given lemons and made chicken soup in the past. :oops:
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!