"Stress Test" - July 3, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

TPS wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:03 pm
TPS wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 am This one is a KAS 1 Billion for me.
I stand by this. Someone was nice enough to drive by and put a bullet in this turtle - who had been flipped on his shell and baking in the Florida sun - by giving me the correct answer and method.

And I can with 100% certainty say if I had all the resources in the world (except for other people) and a billion years I never would have solved this - I never would have gotten the first step but even more importantly even if I had just been given the next part as a jumping off point - I wouldn’t have been able to solve it from there.

I’m shocked people think this one was easy but that TALLY was hard - this was significantly more difficult at both stages.
One man's ceiling is another man's floor....it really depends on how your are wired and,probably more importantly, what you happen to see or think the mechanism might be. Sometimes it jumps right up at you, sometimes - easy or not- it does not. I got the ADOBE a few weeks back which everyone thought was VERY difficult, but I have whiffed on ones that people list as being child's play.

BUT - I think you underestimate yourself because you have proven to be a rather consistent solver. You just got caught in a whirlpool (or maybe a frigidaire) and could not see shore. Come on fellow Floridian, don't be so hard on yourself!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Finally ashore! I liked that one! Now for a mohito!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

tonyrobots wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:10 pm Aha! With a sudden bolt from 12D (or was it 53D?), I have found myself on shore! I really liked this one, it’s put a big smile on my face.

I think I will pour myself a nice birthday Reverend May’s hard cider (at an appropriate hour, of course.)
Thank goodness you did not get hit by a hammer from another God - I wouldn't want you to be Thor afterwards. Reverend May's Hard Cider - hmmm, not familiar. Apple based, grain based, flavor profile....enlightening me please.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Ashore, but not a fan of this puzzle. The idea was good, the solve method was novel. Part of the execution didn't quite cut it with me.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore. The meta answer came to me in the middle of a five-hour hike in near-90-degree temperatures. A new solving technique, perhaps? Heat stroke or bust! Yay, me! 😜
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:43 am
Joepickett wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:52 am I was 7 for 9 since starting these. Guess I'm going to be 7 for 10. No clue.
It’s only Friday. You have lots of time yet. Keep the grid around and take a peek from time to time. Sleep on it. Let it percolate in your unconscious. That aha moment may well hit you.
Here’s a vote for sleeping on it. I took a long look at the completed grid just before bed and the answer came to me as I woke this morning.
Jack Sullivan
802puzzler

Post by 802puzzler »

Grid solved, but nothing is jumping out at me re: the meta. Guess I better go for a sweltering hike or sleep on it! 😉
Last edited by 802puzzler on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

ImageWell, I finally saw something. It fits but that's the best I can say about it. Further study is required! I'm in MaineMarge's garden harvesting for now.
flowers.jpg
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
femullen

Post by femullen »

TPS wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:03 pm
TPS wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 am This one is a KAS 1 Billion for me.
I stand by this. Someone was nice enough to drive by and put a bullet in this turtle - who had been flipped on his shell and baking in the Florida sun - by giving me the correct answer and method.

And I can with 100% certainty say if I had all the resources in the world (except for other people) and a billion years I never would have solved this - I never would have gotten the first step but even more importantly even if I had just been given the next part as a jumping off point - I wouldn’t have been able to solve it from there.

I’m shocked people think this one was easy but that TALLY was hard - this was significantly more difficult at both stages.
I find them all KAS 5 until, on rare occasions, I see the key. This one, though, is still higher than level 1.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Got a late start this week, and I’m scratching my head on the meta. Count me with Isaac...indoors with a cold drink.

Update: I have an answer, but I don’t “get it”. Not sure to call myself ashore or asea.
Last edited by SusieG on Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done. Had to sleep on it overnight to make the final connection.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

After a couple of quick weeks, I am back replenishing Isaac's tip jar. Got the grid, but am mystified hunting the elusive rabbit.

Only one thing to do in this situation:

Bombay Sapphire, with a Churchill dose of vermouth (whatever sticks to the ice when you drain it). Two large Spanish olives.

...and one for the Missus.

Cheers!
Rufus T. Firefly
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

Landfall. I have all that garden Meta mulling ( but not the bad fuzzy garden mullein) to thank for pointing me to the far distant shore- the correct one, 14a. That would be nice.
I loved this! Great fun, not wacky for me. Interesting route to the beach.
Nice job, Matt.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Marion and I are definitely on shore - back to the more normal routine where she captained and I rowed from the back. Regardless, we're there and it's good to be D/D.............
PeterLeea1a

Post by PeterLeea1a »

Clever mechanism. On shore.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Tom Shea wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:37 pm After a couple of quick weeks, I am back replenishing Isaac's tip jar. Got the grid, but am mystified hunting the elusive rabbit.

Only one thing to do in this situation:

Bombay Sapphire, with a Churchill dose of vermouth (whatever sticks to the ice when you drain it). Two large Spanish olives.

...and one for the Missus.

Cheers!
Beats that sweltering hike cure.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

When you say “wacky,” what exactly does that mean? Trying to solve this is making me wacky.
Homer Buckle

Post by Homer Buckle »

Safely ashore for a very hot and humid 4th of July. Hope all are safe!
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Toes in the sand. Solving the meta took a while but finally the light came on! Have a safe and fun weekend Muggles.
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

I've been working on this one and the first meta from "Grids For Good" since yesterday. I got them both within two minutes of each other. Anyone else ever experience something like that?

Anyway, Ashore!