"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:59 pm
michaelm wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:19 pm On Shore.
Any Muggle suggestions on what adult beverage to share with family member turning 21 soon?
Thanks!
Looks like you've come to the right place for drink suggestions! We'll be taking Son#2 for his first legal drink in a week and a half. His brother was more...experienced, shall we say?...when we took him out for his 21st. I could tell as soon as he ordered that he knew more about the drink menu than we did. Son#2 is more of a tea guy, though, and weighs maybe 130 pounds soaking wet. I'm not sure I want to see him drink more than a lite beer. I'm just glad our favorite bar is open and has a patio. Happy birthday wishes to your family member!
don't worry if the bartender already knows his name (or what it might say on his ID) when you walk in
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

On shore. (After a kick start.)
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

On shore after an enjoyable swim. Celebration with a drink at Bahama Bob’s.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

On shore. Looks crowded; searching for a space for safe distancing.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Guinness one.jpg
Grid done, patiently waiting/grinding on the meta - so far.

Cheers.
Mark
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
C=64

Post by C=64 »

KayW wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:35 pm I did not know 54D. So the only answer that came to my mind for "Wood that doesn't float" was the punchline to a joke of dubious taste that you'd have to be boomer plus to remember/get:

Natalie
I am a GenXer whose mother shared jokes of dubious taste with her children. There was also the spin-off of the joke "other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?" -- "other than that, Mr. Wagner, how was your Thanksgiving?"
JordanianTomlinson

Post by JordanianTomlinson »

Ashore! Nothing gets the old thinking cap securely on like a screaming toddler. I owe her a White Russian in about 19ish years!
ReB

Post by ReB »

steveb wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:51 pm
OGuyDave wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:55 pm Doneanddone.

TFTXWD

Just noticed a feature of this puzzle that makes it a truly incredible construction. I'm just wowed!
I think I know what you're referring to. Very impressive, indeed.
I believe I see it as well.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Ashore. Grid took a bit longer to complete.
ReB

Post by ReB »

Jacksull wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:21 pm I made to the beach early this week.

Patrick Berry is one of my favorites and this one didn’t disappoint. It was only after a post-solve review that I realized how elegant the puzzle is.
Yes, that put the icing on the cake.
cbarbee002

Post by cbarbee002 »

Just finished the grid. NE corner didn't give me issues, but left center did for some reason . . . I'm always awed by you all who either a) get the meta before finishing the grid, or b) get the meta within minutes / hours of the puzzle coming out. I've only been at this for a couple of months, and am probably only 2 for 10 (but loving it!), so hoping proficiency comes with experience. :-)
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore. I liked this one. (Also it would've been a little embarrassing if I hadn't gotten it - see Crossword Fiend from April 10.)
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

Safely and quickly on shore. Enjoyed this one, which is no surprise when Patrick Berry is the constructor. This brings my streak to 52, with my last miss being June 28, 2019's FRANCIS SCOTT KEY. Hopefully, this year's Fourth of July puzzle will be kinder to me.
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore. I pretty quickly saw what was going on. Another good puzzle by Patrick Berry.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

had a rough couple weeks but sam and i are safely ashore
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Totally forgot it was Thursday (it's been a long week) and just remembered the puzzle. Quick solve, on shore.
MMac

Post by MMac »

Ashore. Nice puzzle.
Inca

Post by Inca »

This is a first for me: I'm quite certain I've solved the meta. There is simply no way what I've found can be coincidence. I even understand the comment made above about noticing something "extra" that makes the construction more amazing. The problem I don't really love it as the answer to the clue. Maybe there is something more about the answer other than the simple definition that I am not familar with.
Big Mac

Post by Big Mac »

On Shore. Loved It. Took me a second even after finding the path. Fun puzzle.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

KayW wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:35 pm On shore! A fun quick solve from Mr. Berry.

I don't think the following comment counts as a spoiler - except perhaps to reveal both my age and my ignorance...

I did not know 54D. So the only answer that came to my mind for "Wood that doesn't float" was the punchline to a joke of dubious taste that you'd have to be boomer plus to remember/get:

Natalie
I can't decide whether I'd never heard this before or heard it and just forgot the punch line. But I do remember the era of "sick" jokes. Ah, those were the days.
Jay