"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Sal-Thanks for hosting the ZOOM meeting on Tuesday. That was fun!
stmv

Post by stmv »

On shore after a few false starts.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

michaelm wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:19 pm On Shore.
Any Muggle suggestions on what adult beverage to share with family member turning 21 soon?
Thanks!
GUINNESS! It's a mild, nutty, smooth ale that seems as if only quaffed by ogres. It has undeserved man cred. He'll like it, I promise. All other beers are more bitter by comparison.

[Edit1] Find a friendly Irish pub, if nearby.

Last edited by Joe Ross on Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On shore.
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

Count me amongst the beachcombers as well. Very easy one, I thought, mostly because of one bright shiny โ€œlook at meโ€ sign (IMHO.). Also have a teeny, tiny nit, but otherwise a nice puzzle, and nice change of pace to see a Patrick puzzle.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Any Muggle suggestions on what adult beverage to share with family member turning 21 soon?
Thanks!
Not sangria! It tastes like fruit punch, and you think 4-5 glasses are fine, but you can get really drunk. Trust me.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Doneanddone.

TFTXWD

Just noticed a feature of this puzzle that makes it a truly incredible construction. I'm just wowed!
Last edited by OGuyDave on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Thanks!
Looks like you've come to the right place for drink suggestions! We'll be taking Son#2 for his first legal drink in a week and a half. His brother was more...experienced, shall we say?...when we took him out for his 21st. I could tell as soon as he ordered that he knew more about the drink menu than we did. Son#2 is more of a tea guy, though, and weighs maybe 130 pounds soaking wet. I'm not sure I want to see him drink more than a lite beer. I'm just glad our favorite bar is open and has a patio. Happy birthday wishes to your family member!
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Actually, the answer probably depends on whether you want to encourage or discourage future drinking. To discourage I suggest cheap scotch, neat.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

oldjudge wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:05 pm Actually, the answer probably depends on whether you want to encourage or discourage future drinking. To discourage I suggest cheap scotch, neat.
Ha! Thatโ€™s what I was going to say. Actually, any scotch would probably do.

Iโ€™m ashore, but it was so easy Iโ€™m doubting myself.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

On Shore !

I recommend Bombay Sapphire gin
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On the shore like Roger Moore!

It took me a little while to see the light and double check, but I'm confident enough to have submitted.
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

On shore!
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

FrankieHeck wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:59 pm
Thanks!
Looks like you've come to the right place for drink suggestions! We'll be taking Son#2 for his first legal drink in a week and a half. His brother was more...experienced, shall we say?...when we took him out for his 21st. I could tell as soon as he ordered that he knew more about the drink menu than we did. Son#2 is more of a tea guy, though, and weighs maybe 130 pounds soaking wet. I'm not sure I want to see him drink more than a lite beer. I'm just glad our favorite bar is open and has a patio. Happy birthday wishes to your family member!
You may find this surprising (159 beers & ales):

20200626 Beer calories & alcohol pctg.gif
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET ๐—ฑ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—ผ๐—ฟ๐˜€ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ.
๐—ง๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐—ป๐—ฒ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ ๐—ถ๐˜€ ENORMOUS ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ:
๐Ÿฐ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ฑ๐—ถ๐—ฎ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐Ÿฏ๐Ÿฌ% ๐—ฒ๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐—ต, ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฐ๐˜๐—ถ๐—ฐ,
๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ฐ๐—ฎ๐—ป๐—ฐ๐—ฒ๐—ฟ & ๐˜๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐˜‚๐—บ๐—ฎ. ๐—ฃ๐—Ÿ๐—˜๐—”๐—ฆ๐—˜ ๐—ฆ๐—›๐—”๐—ฅ๐—˜!
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore! A fun quick solve from Mr. Berry.

I don't think the following comment counts as a spoiler - except perhaps to reveal both my age and my ignorance...

I did not know 54D. So the only answer that came to my mind for "Wood that doesn't float" was the punchline to a joke of dubious taste that you'd have to be boomer plus to remember/get:

Natalie
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

Oh, that is interesting, Joe. I'll try to find something with low alcohol and lots of calories for him ;-)
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Solved the grid. Now for the meta!

Okay, I admit it. Iโ€™m addicted. I look earlier and earlier each week for this puzzle!
โ€œI cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this yearโ€™s fashionsโ€. Lillian Hellman
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

KayW wrote: โ†‘Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:35 pm On shore! A fun quick solve from Mr. Berry.

I don't think the following comment counts as a spoiler - except perhaps to reveal both my age and my ignorance...

I did not know 54D. So the only answer that came to my mind for "Wood that doesn't float" was the punchline to a joke of dubious taste that you'd have to be boomer plus to remember/get:

Natalie
Kay, Iโ€™m embarrassed to say that I knew the punchline to that joke. BTW, I assume that is Lake Michigan in the background of your avatar. Whenever I used to go to Chicago on business the highlight of my trip was staying at the Ritz Carlton and waking up to that magnificent view of Lake Michigan.
Last edited by oldjudge on Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
boharr

Post by boharr »

The smart money says we will get more drink suggestions this week than Oxford commas.
Joepickett

Post by Joepickett »

Ashore.