"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

BarbaraK wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm I'm always hesitant to brag about streaks for fear the meta gods will take offense and promptly ensure that they come screeching to a halt. But I can't resist this one - 52 straight weeks of catching the WSJ bunny. The last one I missed was The Fourth Man. I noticed over the weekend that I have some good company in this, but I was even afraid to mention it before the official answer was published in case it would jinx things and there would turn out to be a pageant.
Well done, Barbara K!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
whimsy

Post by whimsy »

DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 am
whimsy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 pm
femullen wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:25 am It took me far longer to solve the grid than the meta this week because I never heard of The Prize, or Leeza Gibbons, or Vindaloo, or Bosco (wasn't he a saint?). And while I've read Legend of Sleepy Hollow, it was more than 50 years ago, so I'd practically never heard of Brom Bones either. All those missing intersections killed me, hence "Mr. G" had to throw me a life ring.
I only know Vindaloo from watching Red Dwarf and reading the books -- obviously pays to have a background in fine literature! :lol:
I didn't know Bosco was still around -- it was a treat when we were kids -- and it did't hurt that it was advertised on Romper Room!
"Oh I love Bosco, that's the drink for me, Mommy puts it in my milk for extra energy..."

I remember that from many a Saturday morning watching TV. The Vindalooo I didn't come to until adulthood and and expansion of my palate to include Indian food.

Oh, and Whimsy, for Saint Alex.... well there simply is no equal.
But you must have also sung the variation that the "cool kids" sang:

I love Bosco, it's made with TNT.
Mommy puts it in my milk to try to poison me.
I fooled Mommy, and put it in her tea.
Now there's no more Mommy to try and poison me!

(No wonder we have no room in our heads for where we left our keys when it's filled with these gems instead! :D )
yourpalsal

Post by yourpalsal »

yourpalsal wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:49 pm
MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:02 pm Thank you Patrick Berry for another truly ingenious puzzle. (Imaging making this one up: finding a symmetrical set of two-word answers that perform this bit of alchemy.). We had 1659 entries, about 89% correct. 44 guesses for COURT and variants (COURTROOM, IN COURT), 6 for EYE EXAM and variants (EYE DOCTOR, EYE TEST), plus a spray of other one- and two-off answers (GUARDHOUSE, JURY BOX, GOLF COURSE, many others).

Congrats to this week's winner: Justin Patterson of Austin, Tex.!
Lots to talk about at the Tuesday zoom! Maybe Mike Miller will join us? Maybe Patrick? Anything's possible... :-D

YourPalSal's Muggle Meetup, 5pmPT/8pmET
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89184367093
Reminder: Meetup today!
TPS

Post by TPS »

yourpalsal wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:50 pm Reminder: Meetup today!
Thanks for hosting - it was fun to see everyone!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

whimsy wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:13 pm
DrTom wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:42 am
whimsy wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 pm

I only know Vindaloo from watching Red Dwarf and reading the books -- obviously pays to have a background in fine literature! :lol:
I didn't know Bosco was still around -- it was a treat when we were kids -- and it did't hurt that it was advertised on Romper Room!
"Oh I love Bosco, that's the drink for me, Mommy puts it in my milk for extra energy..."

I remember that from many a Saturday morning watching TV. The Vindalooo I didn't come to until adulthood and and expansion of my palate to include Indian food.

Oh, and Whimsy, for Saint Alex.... well there simply is no equal.
But you must have also sung the variation that the "cool kids" sang:

I love Bosco, it's made with TNT.
Mommy puts it in my milk to try to poison me.
I fooled Mommy, and put it in her tea.
Now there's no more Mommy to try and poison me!

(No wonder we have no room in our heads for where we left our keys when it's filled with these gems instead! :D )
EXACTLY!!! I was trying to remember all of the words earlier...thank you for that glimpse of a misspent youth - we thought we were sooooo wild with subversive songs like that. Ah, the innocence, if we could but return - though I'm NOT going through puberty again, barely got out alive!

Got to go, I'm heading to the store and cannot seem to find my keys....
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

TPS wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 pm
Sorry I was so quiet! I just am.

And sorry I disappeared! Out power blipped off and the battery backup for the router didn't work.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

FrankieHeck wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:53 pm

And sorry I disappeared! Out power blipped off and the battery backup for the router didn't work.
It was nice to finally "meet" you...
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

Sal,

Thank you for hosting, tonight! Thanks also to all who joined in.

To any who haven't had the chance to join in, do. It's a fantastic group of folks.

Joe
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Al Sisti wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:59 pm

It was so very nice to see and talk with All Y'all. I am serious about any time that any of you happen to have occasion to drive through Alabama on I-65 letting me know and you can stop for a day or two at Smith Lake. The house has a hot tub, sauna, and a couple of kayaks. Would love to have you.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Joe Ross wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:04 pm Sal,

Thank you for hosting, tonight! Thanks also to all who joined in.

To any who haven't had the chance to join in, do. It's a fantastic group of folks.

Joe
I was glad to see you. Somehow, I was expecting you to be older. The Joe Ross in my neighborhood is quite elderly and I guess I was projecting his image onto your name.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Thanks Sal! I really enjoy seeing and hearing from my compadres.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:10 pm I was glad to see you. Somehow, I was expecting you to be older. The Joe Ross in my neighborhood is quite elderly and I guess I was projecting his image onto your name.
I was glad to see you, too!

True story: I celebrated my April birthday by being 8th in line, at 7 AM, at the big box grocery store, since I qualified to shop early under Covid rules.

I thank you for your kind thoughts! :D
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Thanks Sal and everyone who joined in! Like Karen I was experiencing some technical difficulties, but enjoyed seeing everyone nonetheless! I love this group, and like Dr Tom said this has been such a joy during our COVID crisis I am especially thankful for a forum that is free of politics! Go Muggles!
Heidi
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

SewYoung wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 pm

It was so very nice to see and talk with All Y'all. I am serious about any time that any of you happen to have occasion to drive through Alabama on I-65 letting me know and you can stop for a day or two at Smith Lake. The house has a hot tub, sauna, and a couple of kayaks. Would love to have you.
That is so sweet of you! Same goes for me in SoCal! Not that ANYONE wants to come here now!
Heidi
steveb

Post by steveb »

hcbirker wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:15 pm
SewYoung wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:06 pm

That is so sweet of you! Same goes for me in SoCal! Not that ANYONE wants to come here now!
I was sorry not to be able to join the meetup tonight. I was busy preparing dinner for my daughter and her husband, who are the proud parents of my 1-week-old grandson (he was born just a few hours after last week's meetup). I hope to make it next week.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

A big thank you to Sal for again hosting the ZOOM call. It was great to put faces to some of the names that we see so frequently on the board. I look forward to our next Tuesday get-together.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Piling on to thank Sal for hosting last night's muggle-up. I really enjoyed meeting everybody, particularly the many folks who have helped and encouraged me as I slowly climb out of newbie-hood.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Since it is only Wednesday we all have time on our hands. Here is an interesting use of an hour. For those of us who are ancient, when we were growing up this was Jules Verne kind of stuff.

A decade of the Sun from the Solar Dynamics Laboratory - a video of the sun from the past 10 years

https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2020/06/ ... 33a329eedc
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

femullen wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:40 am Piling on to thank Sal for hosting last night's muggle-up. I really enjoyed meeting everybody, particularly the many folks who have helped and encouraged me as I slowly climb out of newbie-hood.
Given your background, you will probably know the origin without having to look it up: My house number is 5440. When we first looked at the house all I could think of was "54/40 or fight". I couldn't remember what it meant, though, and had to look it up. Whenever I have to tell someone my address I say "5440 or fight" and they just give me a blank stare...…...
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Polk them in the ribs and then maybe they'll get it