"One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
TPS

Re: "One-Word Answers" - June 26, 2020

Post by TPS » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 pm

Julie O wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 am
The women authors last names Rand (3D/17A), Buck (12D/20A) Lee (29D/28A), Tan (35D/47A), and Rice (65D/68A) were squeezed into the individual squares. I struggled with filling the grid on this one, and it wasn't until I completed it that I figured out what was going on.
Thanks - I never would have gotten that one. If they had left out the whole names instead of leaving in the first letter I probably would have gotten 4 of them (I never would have gotten Buck because I wouldn't have thought of "Kicked the Bucket").

Julie O

Post by Julie O » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:18 pm

Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:21 am

However - bring on the meta in 7 hours
Yes!

Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:40 pm

PJM wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am
Bob cruise director wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:21 am
Julie O wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:32 am

The women authors last names Rand (3D/17A), Buck (12D/20A) Lee (29D/28A), Tan (35D/47A), and Rice (65D/68A) were squeezed into the individual squares. I struggled with filling the grid on this one, and it wasn't until I completed it that I figured out what was going on.
I had kind of the opposite problem. I understood the method but did not know the authors. I got Buck, Lee and Tan after a while. Rand never occurred to me and I still have a blank square there. And I do not know Rice and would have not known where to put it except for your comment. I don't particularly like the grids where one square represents more than one letter.

Thanks for your post.

However - bring on the meta in 7 hours
I don't like those grids either.

I'll bet you do know Rice -- Anne Rice wrote the Vampire Chronicles etc.
Sorry - just another poorly read engineer I guess :(
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director

KayW

Post by KayW » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:55 pm

I seem to be in the minority - I love rebuses (rebi?). They are my favorite type of crossword, after metas and cryptics. Maybe it's because the rebus provides an additional puzzle in a puzzle. That, and the fact that this dinosaur still solves primarily on paper; I can imagine it's trickier online. I will have to look at some of the online puzzles to see if and how they allow for the rebus entries.

I really enjoyed "Novel Women", and got the mechanism immediately with my favorite opera at 17A.

Hector

Post by Hector » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:10 pm

Rebuses have always angered me, and I don't know why. My reaction is like, "if you don't want to make crossword puzzles, then don't make crossword puzzles!" Which doesn't make a great deal of sense.

MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:38 pm

the smashing 3 or 4 letters into one box was a Pain In The Ass ...

I got it, but I immediately threw it into the recycling pile. It was not one of my favorites.

The "SANTA/SANTANA" down clue was my first one solved - the TAN was needed. At that point, I knew that I wasn't going to be happy with the rest of the grid. BUCK (Pearl) took a while - I knew it was SAWBUCKS down, but struggled to make it work. RICE - yes, I knew of her books. And I'm a fan of Ayn, so that one - but I don't know opera, so I was at a loss on that one for a while.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.