"Closing Numbers" - April 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore. Shot of tequila please!
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

I'm travelling on the East Coast, but finally got some time to check in. I am safely on shore - it's a 100-percenter for me. Back to California tomorrow.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Nothing doing for me on this one...and no one and nothing seems to be helpful today.
Feeling really dumb...reminds of one of those ditties written in autograph books (remember those?)

Can't think
Brain dumb
Inspirations won't come
Poor ink
Bum pen
Best wishes
Amen!
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

I’m so lost at sea on this one that I just signed up for my stateroom straight through til next Thursday. At least it will be more comfortable than this rabbit hole I’m wedged into right now. Actually I woke up with the inspiration that got me here but looks like the wrong critter.
Speaking of critters, last night at dusk we enjoyed the annual Mama Black Bear visit to our back fields with her new crop of 3 cavorting cubs. Happens around May 1st every year as she brings them out of the woods to nibble the new clover. We’ll see them daily for a week, then nevermore. Joys of country living.
Julie O

Post by Julie O »

Count me on shore
JJD

Post by JJD »

Lost at sea.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Diana wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:49 pm Good it works. And it also looks my expression during many meta solving attempts.
My favorite comic strip by far! (my favorite conversation -- and one I often use -- was when Calvin was complaining to his dad that something wasn't fair. His dad says "The world isn't fair, Calvin." Calvin responds with "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?").
Joedbee

Post by Joedbee »

Al Sisti wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:44 am
Diana wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:49 pm Good it works. And it also looks my expression during many meta solving attempts.
My favorite comic strip by far! (my favorite conversation -- and one I often use -- was when Calvin was complaining to his dad that something wasn't fair. His dad says "The world isn't fair, Calvin." Calvin responds with "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?").
Also one of my favorite comic strips - my all-time Calvin and Hobbes favorite is https://calvin-and-hobbes-comic-strips. ... k-and.html
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Diana wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:48 pm Just testing my avatar. It's the mom from "Calvin and Hobbes."
My wife is convinced she is Calvin's mother. There are so many great ones but we like the ones where they have to go into school when Calvin had the deer episodeshttps://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2015/03/01

And all the ones with the snowmen
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:04 am
Diana wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:48 pm Just testing my avatar. It's the mom from "Calvin and Hobbes."
My wife is convinced she is Calvin's mother. There are so many great ones but we like the ones where they have to go into school when Calvin had the deer episodeshttps://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/2015/03/01

And all the ones with the snowmen
We *so* need a "Like" button!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Sunday morning. We have 9 on the ship and 81 on the shore. Hopefully one of the shore party will win the coveted WSJ mug

Joining the crowd keeping Isaac in business are
Jack
inca
MaineMarge and her bears

Making their way to shore are
Burak
John D
Tim M
Brunella
CandyB
Julie
Ed S
Bill - check out his avatar
Michael K
and Sean

Especially if you are new or frustrated by not solving these meta contests, check out some of the suggestions under Come Aboard/FAQ's Community/Hints for solving meta contests. A lot of techniques for divining the answer from Matt or Mike.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

It's so frustrating to not see what to so many was so obvious. But for now, count me as far from shore.
Jay
JJD

Post by JJD »

After re-reading what I needed to re-read, I’m on shore.

Also, more love for Calvin & Hobbes, especially the black & white world one.
Inca

Post by Inca »

The penny dropped...ashore finally
Hope this doesn't revive an old "discussion" quite some time ago on a previous puzzle. From the looks of how many solved this one, I doubt it even though this one was harder for me than that other one. (Does anyone know what I am talking about?)
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Inca wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm The penny dropped...ashore finally
Hope this doesn't revive an old "discussion" quite some time ago on a previous puzzle. From the looks of how many solved this one, I doubt it even though this one was harder for me than that other one. (Does anyone know what I am talking about?)
I think I know which one you mean. It basically boils down to, if I didn't solve it, it's the puzzle's fault, right?
Inca

Post by Inca »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:37 pm
Inca wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm The penny dropped...ashore finally
I think I know which one you mean. It basically boils down to, if I didn't solve it, it's the puzzle's fault, right?
Soooo true!
Another "like button" candidate; I'm sure there are lots that agree with this
Gwyneth_S

Post by Gwyneth_S »

So this is my first post on the new blog. First off, thanks to the creator (whose name I don’t know:-( )
Second, I’m on the shore after a dry spell. About to enjoy an umbrella drink with my fellow muggles.
I’m not adept at this forum format (which is one thing I’ve always appreciated about the simplicity of the WSJ blog; sorry to see the changes), but I’ll figure it out...it’s such a nice group!
Cheers.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Late to puzzle, ponder and post but am firmly ashore. Middle of second long road trip in a month, returning south from the frigid NE tomorrow!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Colin

Post by Colin »

Ashore! But I feel I am very close and on the right track, rather than 100%... therefore, not confident at all!
One world. One planet. One future.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

On shore, long after my son Domenic had made it and kept encouraging me without giving me spoilers. And then when I got it I felt dumb for having taken so long. He was able to get to it earlier than I was, but he still solved it much more quickly than I.

As an aside: I can think of only one time in about two years where I thought I might have the answer but wasn’t sure. So I’m always fascinated by the “I think I’m on shore but I’m not certain I’m right” posts. This is one of those where I can’t imagine not being sure, so I look forward to explanations of those answers come Monday.