"Closing Numbers" - April 26, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Meg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:15 am
DrTom wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:10 am
Meg wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:25 pm It’s such a wonderful feeling when the meta light goes on! I’m on the beach.
Don't know if I have never seen it before but LOVED the Chicken/Egg comment, chuckled out loud, wife checked to make sure I was not choking!

Tom
Tom, it’s fun to watch people's faces because at first this joke make absolutely no sense. Then it does.
Well it was hilarious and I know it will prompt others to act, it certainly did me.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Ah, managed to reduce my Avatar a bit - was a bit disconcerting to see me looming out from the page that way. I used a program to reduce my head size, I think I'll name it Nietzsche.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:37 pm For your amusement, when I saw the clue for 27A, I started out trying to fit in "mywifethepastrychef".
Bob, I wanted "Custardslaststand"
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good Saturday morning. We have a good showing this morning with 5 muggles keeping Isaac in business and 72 on the shore basking in the sunshine (of which we have precious little in NE)

Currently with Isaac we have:
Janet P
Tom S
Barry
Joseph R
and Susan H

The shore party consists of:
Brian
Bob S
Sheila
Tom M
Chris
Heidi
Wendy
Jay
Tony
Laura
Meg
Beth A
Toby
Tina
Cindy
Al
Barbara K
Jeremy Smith
Frankie
ky-mike
Brian M
docison
Les
Cynthia J
Andrew B
ALS
Tom Wi
D B Miller
Doug M
Kay
Leslie
Trey and Marion
Vicki and Mike
Frank
Janet
Steve
a3jay
Scott MT
geeteebee
itsgioall
markhr
scooby
howard
Diana
Jennifer
Don S
James C
Hector
Scott M
John B
dencurrin
Matthew
Paul
Thomas
Seth
Ron B
JD
Steve Beck
Natalie
Stuart
Ann
Robert DuPuy
Joseph B
jj33
Stukmn
Eric P
DrTom
Fred
Jud
Joel
stim100986
and Beth C

Good luck to all winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
john day

Post by john day »

made it ashore on Friday but didn't have time to comment til today. Nice puzzle and easy to solve once I saw the way. I have time today to lounge at the tiki bar and enjoy a hop stoopid IPA .
John Day :D
Last edited by john day on Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CandyB

Post by CandyB »

Yay!! On shore! Fun puzzle
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

For some reason, I am drawing a blank on this one. Set 'em up, Mr Washington.
Jack Sullivan
bunella

Post by bunella »

Took me much longer to get to shore, but i'm here finally.
Trey

Post by Trey »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:37 am
Trey wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:30 pm Marion and I are safely on shore............thanks for creating this blog - hope all transfer, but not sure that will happen. While I understand the WSJ rationale for the change across all articles, it's a shame that there can't be an exception for this kind of blog.

Regardless, luck to all for this grail pursuit!
Trey
I communicated with Mike Miller about an exception. He inquired but got the response that they couldn't or wouldn't. The WSJ has a large number of articles about food, cars, sports, arts, houses, etc that would seem not to need the babysitting that the political, financial and opinion pieces do. He asked but did not get a good response.
Thanks Bob - seems like there's good participation on the new site so most are transitioning..........good
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

bunella wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:50 pm Took me much longer to get to shore, but i'm here finally.
About time. I hope you brought the pretzels. I forgot them, we are out and the muggles are getting restless.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Sorry, don't mean to hijack but posting this in the lounge as a new topic seemed like a bad use of Forum space and wanted to get the most attention possible.

Is anyone else having issues PM'ing other members? I've sent two today (one to Brian to ask bout the issue). After I click on 'submit' I get the 'successful' message but my 'outbox' over on the left side has a (2) next to it. And those 2 messages are the ones I sent today, so not sure of they were really sent or not.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

tim1217 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:56 pm Sorry, don't mean to hijack but posting this in the lounge as a new topic seemed like a bad use of Forum space and wanted to get the most attention possible.

Is anyone else having issues PM'ing other members? I've sent two today (one to Brian to ask bout the issue). After I click on 'submit' I get the 'successful' message but my 'outbox' over on the left side has a (2) next to it. And those 2 messages are the ones I sent today, so not sure of they were really sent or not.

Tim
I sent a PM this afternoon (to Bob) and it worked and I got a reply.

I assumed that messages stayed in the outbox until the recipient logged on so they could be delivered. Just googled and found this which seems to confirm that theory (and also that other people get confused by the terminology that phpbb uses).
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=675335
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

tim1217 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:56 pm Sorry, don't mean to hijack but posting this in the lounge as a new topic seemed like a bad use of Forum space and wanted to get the most attention possible.

Tim
Tim
I have had no trouble with the private messages and I have sent several today

Bob
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Diana

Post by Diana »

Just testing my avatar. It's the mom from "Calvin and Hobbes."
Diana

Post by Diana »

Good it works. And it also looks my expression during many meta solving attempts.
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

As Barbara K mentioned, PMs sit in your "outbox" until they are opened by the recipient at which time they are moved to your "sent" folder. As long as they are in the outbox, you can edit or delete them, but once they are opened (and moved to the sent box) they can no longer be changed.

Ironically, there are two FAQs I haven't finished yet: how to post a picture and how to send PMs. The latter covers this confusing feature.

By the way, anyone can create a new thread in either of the FAQ sections, so feel free to ask questions like this there. Then anyone can respond and it is preserved there for people who have the same question in the future. One of the advantages of this format is that the group's collective knowledge is preserved and accessible, as you can see happening in the "how to solve a meta" thread there.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

BrianMac wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:51 pm As Barbara K mentioned, PMs sit in your "outbox" until they are opened by the recipient at which time they are moved to your "sent" folder. As long as they are in the outbox, you can edit or delete them, but once they are opened (and moved to the sent box) they can no longer be changed.

Ironically, there are two FAQs I haven't finished yet: how to post a picture and how to send PMs. The latter covers this confusing feature.
Got it..thanks!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

And count me as 'crawling onto the shore but only 95% out of the water'. I could submit something but I don't think it's what MG was intending. It's that old '100% sure' that's bugging me again.
burak

Post by burak »

Huh, a surprisingly straightforward meta from Matt Gaffney. Fun one.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Ah...there we go. 100% on the shore!