"Two's Company" June 19, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:48 am Apologies for being reflammable(?) with this GIFfy IF:

This reminds me of my husband’s “mistake” with LOL. He thought it meant “lots of love.” We never understood why he would send a text saying “I’m on my way home. LOL” What’s so funny about driving home? I guess it could be worse.
Carla

Post by Carla »

On shore yesterday morning. Fun meta! Had to back solve for one of the clues.
amheissan

Post by amheissan »

Ashore. Nice to be back.
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

Forgot to claim my spot on shore when I landed on Friday. Count me in.

Happy Father's Day!
KayW

Post by KayW »

SusieG wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:38 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:48 am Apologies for being reflammable(?) with this GIFfy IF:

This reminds me of my husband’s “mistake” with LOL. He thought it meant “lots of love.” We never understood why he would send a text saying “I’m on my way home. LOL” What’s so funny about driving home? I guess it could be worse.
WTF!! (wow, that's funny!)
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
Jeremy Smith

Post by Jeremy Smith »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:56 pm
lbray53 wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:53 pm On the ship. I got the first step in about ten minutes (I think). Lots of thoughts but nothing getting me to shore.
I’d recommend printing out a new blank puzzle and solving it again.
On shore. This took way too long. I had the first step completed on Thursday, and actually had the first couple of pieces of the penultimate step, but then abandoned that mechanism for some unknown reason. I reprinted the grid last night (thank you Barbara) and two more pieces jumped out at me while the blank grid was still displayed on the iMac. It was a quick solve from there.
Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers here!
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Joining the company ashore
Nlbil

Post by Nlbil »

I would surely appreciate a nudge in the right direction from some kind person. I am soooo stuck.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:15 pm
JRS51 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 pm Well things didn’t click for me when i did the grid on Friday, and after a round of golf yesterday with the temperature 109 as we finished I wasn’t in any condition to solve anything. But I woke up in the middle of the night with realization of step 1, and a good idea what step 2 would be. It seems clear that my ideas work, though I’m a bit concerned after being in last week’s forty group. All in all I believe I’m on the beach, under an umbrella of course.
Why and where did you play in 109 degree temperature. I once played in 100 and thought I was going to die. It would have to be a free round at Pebble Beach to get me to play in those conditions
... and you'll never have those conditions at Pebble Beach, but probably no free round either. The average high in July is 68, August is 70. September is the hot month at 71. Take a windbreaker for the constant cool ocean breeze.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

steveb wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:11 pm
JRS51 wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:15 pm Well things didn’t click for me when i did the grid on Friday, and after a round of golf yesterday with the temperature 109 as we finished I wasn’t in any condition to solve anything. But I woke up in the middle of the night with realization of step 1, and a good idea what step 2 would be. It seems clear that my ideas work, though I’m a bit concerned after being in last week’s forty group. All in all I believe I’m on the beach, under an umbrella of course.
Why and where did you play in 109 degree temperature. I once played in 100 and thought I was going to die. It would have to be a free round at Pebble Beach to get me to play in those conditions
... and you'll never have those conditions at Pebble Beach, but probably no free round either. The average high in July is 68, August is 70. September is the hot month at 71. Take a windbreaker for the constant cool ocean breeze.
A friend lucked into reserving a tee time at Pebble Beach & planned travel & his vacation around it. As he approached the 1st tee box, a dense fog moved in to stay. He played the entire round not being able to see 100' & making shots based on the local caddy's club selections & general directions to aim.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

And $500 for the greens fees and $100 for the caddie
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet

Post by Janet »

Nlbil wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:55 pm I would surely appreciate a nudge in the right direction from some kind person. I am soooo stuck.
Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more, say no more!

Have you at least gotten the grid finished, with 66A ?
Nlbil

Post by Nlbil »

Yes...
Janet

Post by Janet »

Nlbil wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:51 pmYes...
Nibil nudge coming your way...
ricky

Post by ricky »

Ashore!

First time posting that. Total solving time around 40m.
Check out the meta challenge at Lexicon Devil

Latest puzzle: "This Place Looks Familiar," March 7, 2024

Deadline: Tuesday, March 12, 2024, 12 PM EST
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

ricky wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:17 pm Ashore!

First time posting that. Total solving time around 40m.
Welcome to the clan. Good luck winning the elusive mug.

I am sure that you will hear from other Tarheels of which we have many
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

TPS wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:22 pm I surrender.

I think I am done with doing meta puzzles. I clearly don't have the knack for them.

I might drop in to say "hi" from time to time but I don't think I am going to do these any longer.

Thank you to all who have offered help over the months!
I’m sorry you’re frustrated. I only discovered the meta a few months ago and probably have less than a 50% solve rate. I’m ok with that because I know that like everything else, it takes practice. I would be willing to bet that if you continue to practice, the better you will get. Our brains create new neural pathways as we practice a skill.

Don’t let it get you down that so many people solve them quickly. Most of those people have probably been practicing for years. Most people aren’t born with a “knack” for solving metas - it has to be developed. However, if this is truly something you do not enjoy, then maybe it is time to call it quits. I believe that you like something more if you’re good at it, so I still think you should give it some time and practice.
Nlbil

Post by Nlbil »

Finally!!!!!!! On shore!!!!!!
JRS51

Post by JRS51 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:25 pm

And $500 for the greens fees and $100 for the caddie
In Phoenix and Scottsdale, our best courses might cost $150 to over $300 in the beautiful winter and spring seasons. Summer rates are more like $25 to $75 and morning tee times will sell out many days even with afternoon highs well over 100 degrees. It’s a great time to play a variety of excellent courses that get overcrowded when winter visitors are here.
Jarrod

Post by Jarrod »

Ashore, after a few weeks of being stuck at sea.