"Head Count" - June 12, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Submitted an answer, but have a feeling I fell for the red herring others have referred to.

My soon-to-be 2-year old son has his molars coming in, so I'm waving the white flag earlier than usual. Bloody Mary, hold the tomato juice?
femullen

Post by femullen »

Land ho! Muster the landing party.

Better make mine rum with lime to keep off the scurvy, as I've been weeks at sea.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore with 100% certainty.

As other early solvers also have reported, I spotted the meta mechanism very quickly - but in my case I had to wait until morning to verify because when I completed the grid, it was too late at night to continue. So this was a week when my initial venture from shipboard worked with barely a hitch - and no rabbit holes either this time. Agree that the grid was somewhat above average in difficulty.

This feast or famine pattern from week to week is a getting a bit discomfiting, but I guess that's what comes with the territory.
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Count me in! Best weekend wishes to all - with hopes that sunshine and blue skies are the only things contagious among muggles.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore. 100%. Cute one! Got a late start this week, and it took me a minute to see the mechanism, but checking here assured me it wasn't impossible.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Ashore. The crucial insight hit while one of us --the exerciser-- was on his stationery bike. The other one of us avoids exercise while working on metas --or any other time. It's an absolutely gorgeous day here in central Pennsylvania-hope it is where you are too. Happy weekend.
paige11

Post by paige11 »

Ashore! I agree that the grid was more difficult than usual, but I appreciated the meta. Now to enjoy the beautiful day!
TPS

Post by TPS »

damefox wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 am Ashore. 100%. Cute one! Got a late start this week, and it took me a minute to see the mechanism, but checking here assured me it wasn't impossible.
If I get one on my own it’s probably going to be on Thurs night so it’s usually a pretty good indication that if I have it or at least have the mechanism on Thur night - it’s pretty straightforward. I don’t think I have ever gotten one where there has been less than 1,750 correct answers submitted.
Toby

Post by Toby »

I think this one will be easy for some and impossible for others. I saw the path and got most of it easily, guessed at the rest, and had to do some research to confirm. I recall some similar mechanisms that led to some protests later...this may happen here too. That’s life.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Hector wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:16 pm Got it. A fine meta that some will find easy and others impossible, maybe even moreso than usual.
Indeed "some will find easy and others impossible". I found it impossible. After two HUGE hints I got an answer. Won't be submitting due to the hints.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Jim and Anita wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:50 am Ashore. The crucial insight hit while one of us --the exerciser-- was on his stationery bike. The other one of us avoids exercise while working on metas --or any other time. It's an absolutely gorgeous day here in central Pennsylvania-hope it is where you are too. Happy weekend.
Jim
Anita has asked if she can send you down to the AAA farm team to hone your skills while she brings up a young first round draft choice.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good afternoon
We have 2 on the ship and 51 on the shore.

I am busy chasing rabbits on the ship for now
Last edited by Bob cruise director on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

I got Nut 'n Honey!
I am a man of few...
TPS

Post by TPS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:11 pm Good afternoon
We have 51 on the ship and 2 on the shore.

Something seems off about that count. I just had to correct what I was about to type :|
spotter

Post by spotter »

I believe I'm on the shore! I have one complaint, but will have to share later.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:11 pm Good afternoon
We have 51 on the ship and 2 on the shore.

More than 2. I can see 'em.
elementary

Post by elementary »

Ashore! Returned to my first thought after chasing many other rabbits. Good one!
anjhinz

Post by anjhinz »

Was all over the place getting the grid done, and made the rest a lot harder for myself than I should of, but I'm happily on shore now!
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

On shore! Stared at this all night and had an inspiration this morning because...coffee.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Stacked bar chart??
SB 2B.jpg
Last edited by MarkL on Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!