"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Solved and safely on shore.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

oldjudge wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:10 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:47 pm
MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

I have bigger gripes with other spelling, grammar and punctuation crimes and misdemeanors.
Don't get me started. I'm editing a book by an academic who uses words like "pedestalize" instead of simply "put on a pedestal."
Thank goodness it isn’t a vet and he was using pizzlize.
Lies, damn lies and pizzlize. Gee whiz, your in good company, just let's not let it leak out of the forum. Actually I'm glad he's not editing a book by a urologist, they want to penalize everyone.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Tony S wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:13 pm Ashore. Meta straightforward but impressive nonetheless.
Wow, straightforward is definitely not my impression. I think that goes back to the "if it hurts you are doing it wrong" type of advice, and believe me my approach is hurting me. It is possible I am going at it from the side though. RATS! :)
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Cindy N

Post by Cindy N »

Grid finished. Meta remains outside my grasp, so my reward remains similarly unavailable. Although perhaps the Three Philosophers could help me solve (yes, Al, the Cooperstown Ommegang)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

DrTom wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:20 am Actually I'm glad he's not editing a book by a urologist, they want to penalize everyone.

defriend.png
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

boharr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:09 pm
Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 pm The meta is 100% clear.
Easy for you to say!
Pardon me: The meta is one-hundred-percentilized easily.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Uh oh.

I spent about ten minutes getting the MMMM. Then about fifteen getting the WSJ (On shore, BTW). Tomorrow is a Week 1 MGWCC, so it looks like a weekend of catching up on some reading.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Got an answer. Feels right. But the meta wasn't straightforward, so I'll bet I'm down a well-appointed rabbit hole, so well appointed that it could be a deliberate trap. Will have to re-attack after COB.

Count me still aboard, Cruise Director.

PS: Two spaces after periods and colons. Except if you're a barbarian or a journalist.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

[In best John Houseman voice]
As regards writing, Mr. Issac, I advise you as I advise most of my young ensigns, that seldom, if ever, should anything follow a period.
Jackie88

Post by Jackie88 »

Solved the puzzle, but working on the meta.
Two spaces after a period. Blasphemous to do otherwise.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Still lost at sea. As for space after a period, I say, "Get with the times, old man. The future is now!" One space.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Cindy N wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:28 am Grid finished. Meta remains outside my grasp, so my reward remains similarly unavailable. Although perhaps the Three Philosophers could help me solve (yes, Al, the Cooperstown Ommegang)
Are you from Cooperstown?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
boharr

Post by boharr »

femullen wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:48 am
PS: Two spaces after periods and colons. Except if you're a barbarian or a journalist.
Barbarians and journalists often have much in common. Especially these days.
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Color me old: two spaces, no Oxford comma, and definitely no "singular they" (and yes, I am aware I used the Oxford comma there. Sometimes it helps. That's why I never say "always," and always avoid saying "never").
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 am Color me old: two spaces, no Oxford comma, and definitely no "singular they" (and yes, I am aware I used the Oxford comma there. Sometimes it helps. That's why I never say "always," and always avoid saying "never").
Did I miss you on the shore?
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Sitting with Isaac and no glimpse of the exit sign yet.

I'm certainly old enough to be a two space guy, but never learned to type until using a PC. So I'm a definite one spacer. And a recent convert to the Oxford comma.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:56 am
Al Sisti wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:41 am Color me old: two spaces, no Oxford comma, and definitely no "singular they" (and yes, I am aware I used the Oxford comma there. Sometimes it helps. That's why I never say "always," and always avoid saying "never").
Did I miss you on the shore?
You correctly did not see me there. That said, I am rather enjoying this Isaac fellow.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

At the risk of weakening my geezer cred, I must admit that the singular they is growing on me.

And speaking of generational changes in period use, I recently heard that ending a text with a period is rude. Sorry to everyone I offend, but that's another hard habit to break.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

BarbaraK wrote: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:11 am
At the risk of weakening my geezer cred, I must admit that the singular they is growing on me.

And speaking of generational changes in period use, I recently heard that ending a text with a period is rude. Sorry to everyone I offend, but that's another hard habit to break.
It seems with my kids, the use of any punctuation in a text is considered old fashioned
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore and I'm with Al, using two spaces and an Oxford comma only if it's needed to clarifize. ;)