"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Done and done
paige11

Post by paige11 »

Ashore! Fun one this week.
steveb

Post by steveb »

One space after a period. The standard started to change in 1985, with the advent of "desktop publishing," which introduced the world to proportionally-spaced fonts, kerning and WYSIWYG* printing, and provided a huge boost to a little Silicon Valley company called Adobe, without which we would have had a different meta a few weeks ago. I remember that era well; I worked for Apple then.

People who learned to type before 1985 may be reluctant to let go of their old habits, but times and technology have changed. Ironically enough, in this thread, even the people favoring two spaces are only using one!

* WYSIWYG = "What You See Is What You Get"
Last edited by steveb on Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burak

Post by burak »

I have never used and will never use two spaces.

Haven't even printed the meta yet but wanted to make the above statement for the record :)
JPMalone

Post by JPMalone »

Can't get the meta, and I've never heard of the "two space" rule.
M and M

Post by M and M »

Cheerful and done, but not your everyday meta.
Inca

Post by Inca »

boharr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:40 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:32 pm Got it! I had the right idea immediately but it took me a while to figure out the right strategy. It's a 100% answer.
As a copy editor for many years, I can state unequivocally: it depends on what type of writing you're doing. In typing class (yes, I am dating myself) we were taught to enter 2 spaces, but then I had to unlearn that when I became a reporter (reporters use 1 space).
And then came computers on which characters vary in size. Reading got easier on the eye Negating the need for two spaces.
Yes, when computer fonts with different size characters came out I was told to unlearn my ingrained habit of two spaces after the period. I really don't see why they had to go and change is. As you can see (if your eyes are better than mine), I am still doing 2 spaces; it's automatic for me. Hard to learn new tricks and I see no harm in the extra space.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Code: Select all

Two spaces.  If using a typewriter or mono-spaced font.  As most people who used an actual typewriter were taught.
In modern times. Single space due to proportional fonts. Automatic kerning by computers has pretty much made the two-space "rule" obsolete.
Last edited by DBMiller on Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
Inca

Post by Inca »

proportionally-spaced fonts, kerning and WYSIWYG* printing,
Those were the words I was looking for when I just fell back on "different size characters". Couldn't remember :D
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Yes, this is definitely a very familiar shore I'm on.
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore!

Not 100% confident in the answer I have but I think it's the right one...If anyone wants to check theirs with mine to confirm we're on the same page I would appreciate it!

Stay safe folks--happy first weekend of June!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:47 pm
MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

I have bigger gripes with other spelling, grammar and punctuation crimes and misdemeanors.
Don't get me started. I'm editing a book by an academic who uses words like "pedestalize" instead of simply "put on a pedestal."
That's a new one for me but am sure we'll see it shortly in a crossword
juliet

Post by juliet »

MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

I have bigger gripes with other spelling, grammar and punctuation crimes and misdemeanors.
Don't get me started. I'm editing a book by an academic who uses words like "pedestalize" instead of simply "put on a pedestal."
Strunk and White (still used in freshman writing courses!) was clear on "izing." Two spaces, learned about the same time in typing class, will probably always look right to me.
juliet

Post by juliet »

Grid is done, but I'm saving the meta for savoring later.
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

edot wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 pm Not 100% confident in the answer I have but I think it's the right one...If anyone wants to check theirs with mine to confirm we're on the same page I would appreciate it!
The meta is 100% clear, but you propose a novel way of solving! ;)

Good luck to everyone!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 pm
The meta is 100% clear.

[/quote]

Easy for you to say!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

The "ize" neologisms are inelegant, to say the least, and I would advise writers to try to find a substitute. Why disincentivize when you could use discourage ? But often it reduces several words to one. I don't like "contextualize X," and maybe "put X into context" is better? But in time, we will become accustomed to it just as we have become accustomed to other -ize words that once sounded awful.

(Also, in NJ, pedestalizing is covered under Megan's Law.)
Jay
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

One space after a period! Early in my schooling I learned it was 2, then the expectation became 1, now Word flags 2 as a mistake.
Geezer Weezer

Post by Geezer Weezer »

My toes feel sand.
I am a man of few...