"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
gdshort

Post by gdshort »

Got ashore fairly quickly this week.
femullen

Post by femullen »

Not ashore. Only starting. I'm just checking to see how many of us solved this thing before COB Thursday afternoon. Gives me an idea of how much pain to expect. Also gives me an idea of how many of us are already retired.
Last edited by femullen on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.
TMart

Post by TMart »

On shore. Not a bad one. (How’s that for a ringing endorsement?) :lol:
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Got it! I had the right idea immediately but it took me a while to figure out how to bring it home. It's a 100% answer.
As a copy editor for many years, I can state unequivocally: it depends on what type of writing you're doing. In typing class (yes, I am dating myself) we were taught to enter 2 spaces, but then I had to unlearn that when I became a reporter (reporters use 1 space).
Last edited by Wendy Walker on Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Done and safely ashore (or, sagely(?) as spell checker wanted me!).
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Tom Shea wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:24 pm Haven't looked at the puzzle yet, but any nun will tell you, "two spaces after a period." Expect a ruler to bloody your knuckles if you disagree.
No telling where this diversion might go. The Oxford comma?

(I remember those nuns with rulers. Thick wooden rulers.)
boharr

Post by boharr »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:32 pm Got it! I had the right idea immediately but it took me a while to figure out the right strategy. It's a 100% answer.
As a copy editor for many years, I can state unequivocally: it depends on what type of writing you're doing. In typing class (yes, I am dating myself) we were taught to enter 2 spaces, but then I had to unlearn that when I became a reporter (reporters use 1 space).
And then came computers on which characters vary in size. Reading got easier on the eye Negating the need for two spaces.
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

I have bigger gripes with other spelling, grammar and punctuation crimes and misdemeanors.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

femullen wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:27 pm Not ashore. Only starting. I'm just checking to see how many of us solved this thing before COB Thursday afternoon. Gives me an idea of how much pain to expect. Also gives me an idea of how many of us are already retired.
Or self-employed and able to schedule our work-life balance so we can be free at 4 p.m. every Thursday!
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

I have bigger gripes with other spelling, grammar and punctuation crimes and misdemeanors.
Don't get me started. I'm editing a book by an academic who uses words like "pedestalize" instead of simply "put on a pedestal."
boharr

Post by boharr »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:47 pm
MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

Don't get me started. I'm editing a book by an academic who uses words like "pedestalize" instead of simply "put on a pedestal."
But you got the meta!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Grid: hard, but done. Meta: not a clue. Generally two spaces, but with some fonts, one is sufficient. When typing a mailing label, I usually put two spaces between all words and may three between house number and a numbered street for clarity.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Not an Oxford comma guy I see.
mheberlingx100

Post by mheberlingx100 »

On shore! Luckily I have a Guinness in the fridge just for this occasion.

Two spaces -- that's what I learned in typing class in 1975.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Ashore. I thought that was an extremely clever puzzle. Another great job by Matt!
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

On shore, and happy - as always - to be in such solid company. J-school made me a one-space guy, but don't hate me. I play well with others.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:47 pm

Thank goodness it isn’t a vet and he was using pizzlize.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Two spaces. Absolutely unequivocally the one and only correct way. The young whippersnappers with their single space are barbarians, probably the start of the collapse of civilization. And my iPhone that always changes my two spaces to one must be part of their conspiracy. Oh, and get off my lawn!

As for the meta, I have a really strong feeling of 47A with this one. So much that it’s making me wonder if I’m missing something and it’s not really what I think it is.

Need to poke around and see if I can find what I’m thinking of. Or maybe I’m psychic.
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Ashore. Meta straightforward but impressive nonetheless.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore.