"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Frenchy wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:45 pm One space after a period! Early in my schooling I learned it was 2, then the expectation became 1, now Word flags 2 as a mistake.
I think you can adjust Word not to flag 2 as a mistake if it bugs you.
edot

Post by edot »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:58 pm
edot wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 pm Not 100% confident in the answer I have but I think it's the right one...If anyone wants to check theirs with mine to confirm we're on the same page I would appreciate it!
The meta is 100% clear, but you propose a novel way of solving! ;)

Good luck to everyone!
Ever since the MONOTONOUS meta a few months back, I never know anymore :)
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

juliet wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 pm
Wendy Walker wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:47 pm
MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

I have bigger gripes with other spelling, grammar and punctuation crimes and misdemeanors.
Don't get me started. I'm editing a book by an academic who uses words like "pedestalize" instead of simply "put on a pedestal."
Strunk and White (still used in freshman writing courses!) was clear on "izing." Two spaces, learned about the same time in typing class, will probably always look right to me.
It's taken me a while to unlearn the two spaces I learned in high school and used for decades thereafter. It looks OK if you're one of the 8 peple in the US still using a typewriter. If you use two spaces in Microsoft Word it comes out looking too big, WordPerfect does a much better job.

As for Strunk and White, you can look up the many criticisms and see where it is self-contradictory and sometimes just wrong. But it's still very useful. Just don't think of it as a Bible.
Jay
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

On shore!

You all take care,
boharr

Post by boharr »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:51 pm
As for Strunk and White, you can look up the many criticisms and see where it is self-contradictory and sometimes just wrong. But it's still very useful. Just don't think of it as a Bible.
It is still very useful. And even Fowler has its lapses, along with much good advice.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Grid is filled; no clue where to go with the meta.
This is usually not a good sign for me. I'm going to just put it away until later in the weekend. Maybe it will look different then....or maybe not.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

I'm on the beach. Really cool meta.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

MarkL wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:45 pm Have been a two-spacer for quite a while, but starting to understand the other point of view. Some fonts and kerning make two spaces looks too wide. I really don't care if it 'dates' me.

I have bigger gripes with other spelling, grammar and punctuation crimes and misdemeanors.
Don't get me started. I'm editing a book by an academic who uses words like "pedestalize" instead of simply "put on a pedestal."
Did you correct his creation of words? we see and hear "ize" words made up all the time. And other creations.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

Not sure why we're talking about spaces, but ... I WAS "two spaces til death do we part" but I've recently changed to one. Sorry Mrs. Pesche (9th grade typing, ~1983)...

And no clue on the meta.
Last edited by Dplass on Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleGood

Post by LittleGood »

Bird Lives wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:51 pm
juliet wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:50 pm

Strunk and White (still used in freshman writing courses!) was clear on "izing." Two spaces, learned about the same time in typing class, will probably always look right to me.
It's taken me a while to unlearn the two spaces I learned in high school and used for decades thereafter. It looks OK if you're one of the 8 peple in the US still using a typewriter. If you use two spaces in Microsoft Word it comes out looking too big, WordPerfect does a much better job.

So...one space for me based one the style guide my employer used on my first assignment; it stuck for me.

I studied Williams in college and therefore trained to eliminate "nominalizations" (turning a verb into a noun). I don't think he addressed verb-izations, but when I read "pedastalize" I want to laugh out loud. I'm not the least surprised that an academic invented such a wonderful non-sensical word.

I heard Ted Kaczynski was a Strunk and White adherent, so I always figured it was best to avoid it.
TPS

Post by TPS »

TPS wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:08 pm I feel like I am onshore - could just be a mirage. I feel like what I found could only yield one answer but am too tired right now to see why I am missing part of it. Maybe later or tomorrow.
Yeah - I’m not onshore. Oh well.
ALECgator13

Post by ALECgator13 »

Two spaces after a period.

Yes Oxford comma.

Grid done.

Still working on meta. I was guessing it had something to do with one of the clues, but that seems too obvious based on what everyone here is saying. Might be on the right track but it just takes another step, not sure yet. It is Gaffney though, probably harder than I think.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Hugglety, mugglety,
Solving with confidence,
Tackling the meta and
Working it out,

Wishing my answer were
Incontrovertible—
Happy to find one, but
Still, I have doubt.

I think I'd better sit on it a while and reconsider before submitting my entry.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

TPS wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:08 pm I feel like I am onshore - could just be a mirage. I feel like what I found could only yield one answer but am too tired right now to see why I am missing part of it. Maybe later or tomorrow.
My feeling about it is a 59A of your statement!
SusieG

Post by SusieG »

I read that article about spaces today. It sums up my interactions with my children about the subject. I finally gave up the extra space a few years ago. It’s tough to break the habit when one learned to type on a typewriter!

I’m still at sea. Grid is finished. I have some ideas that I will think about this weekend. In the meantime, I’m enjoying a chilled glass of Pinot Grigio with Isaac.
OGuyDave

Post by OGuyDave »

Done and, well, pretty sure I'm done.

43A is a new one for me. 57A, too.

TFTXWD
Joe

Post by Joe »

One. Space. We’re not using typewriters anymore. I expect many will hate, but we are when we are.
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Ashore.

The uses a mechanism similar to one in a puzzle from the distant past. If I were a newbie, if I hadn’t learned that this was a thing to look for, I wouldn’t have solved this one so quickly, or maybe not at all.
Jay
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

boharr wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:54 pm

Not an Oxford comma guy I see.
Just tired, distracted, typing on the phone, and rusty! Cheers!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Abide

Post by Abide »

Solved. One space but two before zip codes
The site is just a web page, a meeting place, a clubhouse - it's the group that's special.
—Brian MacDonald