"Executive Search" - June 5, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

Janet wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:15 pm Sunday evening, and I am still lost at sea! I have not found the mechanism for this, so my search for executives has failed. I have 45 to choose from, maybe I should just pick one and send it in!
If the answer is GROVER CLEVELAND, do we have to specify 22 or 24 when submitting our entries?
Ksoav

Post by Ksoav »

Staying on the ship this week.

Yes to Oxford commas, single space.
Janet

Post by Janet »

tim1217 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:53 pm

Yes, I may just do that, Tim. (You know, I used to carpool with Dagwood Bumstead, it's a funny story.)
Let me guess...

He was always late
He regularly asked to make a stop for donuts
He always complained about his boss!
No time for donuts! We had to ring his doorbell a few times, he'd come flying out, shirt unbuttoned, hair sticking up on end, holding his shoes, and we'd rush to work to punch the time clock. The funny part is when it was my first time to drive.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

Janet wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Yes, I may just do that, Tim. (You know, I used to carpool with Dagwood Bumstead, it's a funny story.)
Let me guess...

He was always late
No time for donuts! We had to ring his doorbell a few times, he'd come flying out, shirt unbuttoned, hair sticking up on end, holding his shoes, and we'd rush to work to punch the time clock. The funny part is when it was my first time to drive.
All you needed to complete the picture was him smashing into the mail carrier!
yungchap

Post by yungchap »

anyone care to give a nudge? have fallen down so many rabbit holes and would love a tiny bit of help. thank you!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I am on the shore with more than a minor nudge. I won't be sending in the answer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktndOlY7qrc
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Janet

Post by Janet »

tim1217 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:04 pm
Janet wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 8:02 pm

Let me guess...

He was always late
All you needed to complete the picture was him smashing into the mail carrier!
Spoiler alert! He was the mail carrier! For years, he'd been waking up only when the carpool would ring and knock on his door. He was told that I would leave prompty if he wasn't ready on time, and he believed it. The week I was on carpool duty he was out in front of his house, dressed and ready. Victory!
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

higgysue wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:46 pm I’m not seeing it. Last week I had a Sunday solve so there still is hope. I may just submit Topcoat Perch because that made me laugh so hard! Two spaces. No Oxford comma.
I have no clue, either; hoping for post-enlightenment. I encourage all who have no answer to submit Topcoat Perch just to mess with Mike Miller's head.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

dour final count is 46 on the ship and 78 on the shore. With more than a few on the shore pulled in with a tow rope.

Finally emerging to keep Isaac in business for the week are:
MajorDomoTom
streroto
ReB
LaceyK
Fred
jag
hissongle
Ksoav
higgysue

And on the shore are:
tim1217
Nlobb
jimbo1
stmv
diplomat
Kay
and your cruise director in self quarantine far away from the reveling crowd

Good luck to all winning the mug. I think there will be some good odds this week.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Over on the WSJ board, someone asked how to submit his answer. I tried to reply and tell him to email it since the online submission does not seem to me available this week. My post was rejected by the moderation team because, “it does not comply with our community rules.”

Huh????????

Helping people is against the rules??

😕

Anyone else want to try?
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Well, we submitted, but really not convinced that we made it ashore -- but who knows -- we have a reason for our answer, but it's not robust like most of the solutions to these puzzles.

Had a good time playing with it, though!

Rita and George
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Dplass wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:14 pm
stmv wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:11 pm I'm finally ashore. It took me forever to see this. In fact it took me so long that I can see (and first came to) a plausible alternate solution; I only saw the 100% solution while explaining the less-good solution to my wife. When the results are posted I will be interested to see how many others came to this alternate solution.

FWIW, the powerful text editor Emacs, when editing an actual text file (as opposed to computer code or whatever) likes to see two periods after a sentence so it can reliably distinguish between a period ending a sentence, and a period denoting an abbreviation. This has engrained deeply within me the habit of using two spaces after a sentence-ending period.
Sigh. Oh, is that what we're going to do today, we're gonna fight?

A long time ago I worked for a consulting company. The CEO famously said, "Some day you're going to be at a client site and it'll just be YOU and vi. You better be on speaking terms." I haven't looked back. vi is the only editor for me.
Wow, it's been years since I've used VI -- but then it's been years since I've done any serious coding!
George
tonyrobots

Post by tonyrobots »

BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:27 pm Over on the WSJ board, someone asked how to submit his answer. I tried to reply and tell him to email it since the online submission does not seem to me available this week. My post was rejected by the moderation team because, “it does not comply with our community rules.”

Huh????????

😕

Anyone else want to try?
Did you try to include the email address? That might have triggered a filter meant to prevent spam/ads.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

tonyrobots wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:39 pm
BarbaraK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:27 pm Over on the WSJ board, someone asked how to submit his answer. I tried to reply and tell him to email it since the online submission does not seem to me available this week. My post was rejected by the moderation team because, “it does not comply with our community rules.”

Huh????????

😕

Anyone else want to try?
Did you try to include the email address? That might have triggered a filter meant to prevent spam/ads.
Well, yeah. But it’s a WSJ address.

OK, I’ll try again without actually including the address.
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

tonyrobots wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:39 pm

Huh????????

😕

Anyone else want to try?
I tried again without actually including the email address, just told him to look in the PDF. That went right through without even a hold for moderating.

Thanks!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

I'm still hanging with Isaac on the ship, although our Cruise Director listed me on shore. First miss since Dec. 2018, unless you count MELLON earlier this year (where I had an accepted answer but not the intended one). I haven't managed to look at the puzzle today since I've been busy with my daughter's high school graduation, but spending way too much of the previous three days doing so didn't seem to help anyway--I just don't see it! Kudos to those who did; I'll be waiting to find out the secret...

I haven't caught up on all of the previous comments, but it seems we're doing Emacs vs. vi now? I'm firmly in the Emacs camp!
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

Eleventh hour solve, finally! So many hours on this one. I fear my brain is now mush.
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

I’ve had an answer for the meta since shortly after I finished the puzzle on Thursday afternoon. I think it’s wrong, but I haven’t been motivated to think about it any further, so I’m going to submit it and take my lumps when the real answer hits the street ...
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

On shore here yesterday.

I missed the past 2 weeks for misses (or based on prior comments maybe I should erroneously say miss's) 2 and 3 this year. But I have a new ceiling completely done in a basement bedroom to show for my time. This one came a bit easier. I waited to finish both grid and meta for this and MGWCC until later on yesterday and they both seemed pretty easy. There was a girl in my class through grade school and high school who said she was related somehow to the president that is the answer to this week's puzzle.
juliet

Post by juliet »

TPS wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:39 pm
LaceyK wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:21 pm And my grammar sin...ellipsis junkie. :)
In informal writing like texts, e-mails, Tweets, and FB posts I use a lot of dashes - way too many dashes - like sooo many dashes - that I’m sure people wonder like why is he doing that. To be honest, I don’t know but I also don’t particularly care...
In typing, the horizontal lines in your post would be called hyphens. A dash would be created with two hyphens, and no spaces before, after, or in between.