"Sound Off" - May 29, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Rate the difficulty of the meta
sanmilton

Re: "Sound Off" - May 29, 2020

Post by sanmilton » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:33 pm

Devilbunny wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 7:45 pm
spotter wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:20 am
Turns out the name is LISZT, not LIZST anyway...
And I like to pretend to myself - though we'll never know, because after this lesson that WILL be burned into my mind - that I would have spelled it correctly if asked - but with ZST sitting there waiting, it was so easy. Note to self: if the answer can be confirmed with basic Goog search, and you're not 100% sure, check it.
Just for my own sense of closure, long after the fact: I had the exact same experience with LISZT/LIZST. So much for my years of musical training and subsequent years of devotion to music! But I also failed to catch on to the, well, audio component of the puzzle. I found MEN/MENU, NOT/NOTI, and even BOWS/BOZO, but I failed to grasp (even after I corrected my entry) that BEES/BIZET yielded A and that HIGH/HEIDI were part of the solution! Ah well, at least now we have another method of meta concealment under our collective belt!