"Sound Off" - May 29, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Jeff S

Post by Jeff S »

Drysdale wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 10:06 pm From no clue to certainty in 3 minutes.
Almost exactly the same time frame for me :D
juliet

Post by juliet »

A quick "done and done."

Fun, fun, fun!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

On shore
TPS

Post by TPS »

Me looking for this meta (ok who am I kidding - every meta)

https://getyarn.io/yarn-story/33a6ec0d ... bRtM7.copy
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

Solved and safely on shore - now ready for the week 5 tomorrow...
lacangah

Post by lacangah »

Hello,

My wife and I did not “Bicker about Adobe” this week, and so our streak is back to 2 weeks in a row. Fun puzzle.

It’s also satisfying when we help each other find the solution (last week: “well, we have these letters... KTOSLIN... now what?” “Oh, she’s a country singer - we’re done!”) :-)

Good health to you all - cheers,
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

My toes are in the sand and it's getting warm again where I live.

I had a really tough time with the grid, but I got the meta about as quickly as last week. I do feel like I was lucky to get it so fast.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Finally ashore. It took me a looooong time to see the light. I think I hit every rabbit hole there is. As I was getting into bed it finally dawned on me. Oh well-on to MGWCC tomorrow.
MaineMarge

Post by MaineMarge »

On shore. Or headed to shore as soon as I finish tidying up the stern garden. Where’s Marie Kondo when I need her?
Now what’s that sound off in the distance I’m hearing? Party time on the beach!
Thanks Mike- another feather in your cap. 🆒
Joe

Post by Joe »

That feeling when everyone thinks it's easy and you have nothing
Happy to give nudges. If you notice I've solved, please tell me about avenues you've explored so I can nudge you in the right direction and not off a cliff.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Joe wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:25 am That feeling when everyone thinks it's easy and you have nothing
No, this one is NOT easy. In fact I rated it as 3 stars!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 am
Joe wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:25 am That feeling when everyone thinks it's easy and you have nothing
Obvious - Watts.jpg
Jay
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Wendy Walker wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 am
I think this is one where lots of meta puzzle experience is helpful.
Cynthia
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

On shore after a couple of false starts. Very clever
Stukmn

Post by Stukmn »

Clever. Again I’m impressed by the construction.

On the beach with some strong coffee this morning. Will enjoy a drink at sunset. 🤩🍹
Don’t bother me until I’ve had my coffee and done the crossword.
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

oldjudge wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 4:41 am Finally ashore. It took me a looooong time to see the light. I think I hit every rabbit hole there is. As I was getting into bed it finally dawned on me. Oh well-on to MGWCC tomorrow.
If you're done on early Friday you haven't hit "every rabbit hole there is"! Talk to me on Sunday and I'll tell you about rabbit holes. :-P
KayW

Post by KayW »

On shore! This is a good one.

Spent all of last evening staring blankly at grid and not even hearing the SOUND OFF crickets. This morning as I was supposed to be reviewing boring legal documents, a stray thought popped into mind and - after a few wrong turns - I found myself on the beach.

Whew! Now back to the work I'm supposed to be doing... at least until MGWCC.
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
beccacollins

Post by beccacollins »

Dplass wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:38 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 pm I liked this one -- the idea and the execution. I toyed with the idea of doing the BarbaraK thing of writing my comment using the mechanism in the puzzle, but 1) it would probably be too much of a spoiler, and 2) I couldn't come up with anything, which makes me appreciate MIke's cleverness all the more.

I'd guess that the beach won't be as crowded as it was last week.
A-CHA! So there *is* a mechanism!
Dplass - that's exactly what I was thinking. So far, I'm seeing nothing. Still time to make it to shore a third week in a row.... here's hoping!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

beccacollins wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 9:51 am
Dplass wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:38 pm
Bird Lives wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 9:22 pm I liked this one -- the idea and the execution. I toyed with the idea of doing the BarbaraK thing of writing my comment using the mechanism in the puzzle, but 1) it would probably be too much of a spoiler, and 2) I couldn't come up with anything, which makes me appreciate MIke's cleverness all the more.

I'd guess that the beach won't be as crowded as it was last week.
A-CHA! So there *is* a mechanism!
Dplass - that's exactly what I was thinking. So far, I'm seeing nothing. Still time to make it to shore a third week in a row.... here's hoping!
I got three huge hints and found the solution. I won't be submitting. Consider me on the mirage shore (but still technically LAS).
ReB

Post by ReB »

On shore, no doubt about the sand under my toes. Fortunately I set off in the right direction, found a shore-bound current before long which carried me in, except for catching a sandbar just before landing because I had completed one section of the grid incorrectly. Two early weeks now, but I don't expect this happy state to last long.