"Sound Off" - May 29, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
boharr

Post by boharr »

My dad used to call me Topper.
burak

Post by burak »

Finally on shore. It's one of those rare puzzles that is very easy in hindsight but not so much when you're completely in the dark. Liked it though, produced a nice aha moment.
eagle1279

Post by eagle1279 »

Ok, I’m on shore, or at least sitting at the edge of the beach thinking I have an answer worth submitting.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

boharr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:54 pm My dad used to call me Topper.
When we finally got to live where I could see my Dad regularly, I found out he often had some colorful things he called me! Of course much of that comes from him being a career Navy Chief and having dealt with mainly "lazy ****ing deadbeats and slackers". I got quite an education in France (not the least of which came on the beaches in the form of "Mom. what happened to the rest of her bathing suit" moments and "What did Dad mean when the car wouldn't start and he said...." (I was a pretty sheltered 10 YO).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
edot

Post by edot »

Count me on the ship this week. I think I have the right idea but can't get it to click so far...
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:27 pm
"What did Dad mean when the car wouldn't start and he said...." (I was a pretty sheltered 10 YO).
Visions of Chrstmas Story and the "Oh Fudge" moment.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Stuck with Isaac! Just now finished the grid with LOTS of help from Mr. G. :( So much help that I won't submit. Isaac, another Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' please!
JeanneC

Post by JeanneC »

Tony S wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:49 pm
boharr wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:46 pm
Al Sisti wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:37 pm

Yep. And when you add in the value of the first Spiderman comic we owned in 1962 -- in the condition we left it -- you've got another buck. My Willie Mays signed photo is still good though.
Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays rookie baseball cards. Many others, all kept neat and pristine is shoe boxes for years. All tossed out by my mother when I moved to NYC for college. She was a great mom though.
I feel your pain. When I went off to college my mom gave away my Lionel triple track train set.

Your LIONEL train set? The horror, the horror...😩!!!
“I cannot and will not cut my conscience to fit this year’s fashions”. Lillian Hellman
Ksoav

Post by Ksoav »

On shore at the last minute!
juliet

Post by juliet »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:55 pm Shamefacedly ashore with someone else doing 80% or more of the rowing. I could just not see the rabbit hole even though I was pecking around it. Without the help of a Muggle White Knight I would be flailing in the water well past midnight. So, ashore but certainly not submitting. Still, now my very troubled mind can rest, until I try the MGWCC that is.
I thought you were the Muggle White Knight! Or at least "the Doc". . .
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Good evening muggles

Welcome to our latest muggle - Teddybear.

And we have 35 keeping Isaac company for the week and 107 on the shore hoping for mug magic

Joining Isaac are:
Teddybear
802puzzler
yourpalsal
beccacollins
sanmilton
the Commodore
Jarrod
edot
Susan H

and on the shore are

Inca
rexthree
Patty
elementary
joequavis
paige11
matthewm
Geoduck - who was there earlier and I :-( missed him
jimbo1
eagle1279
Janet P
Burak
Ksoav
Dr Tom
and higgysue

Good luck to all winning the mug and stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Natalie

Post by Natalie »

Just finished the grid -- where does the time go when sequestered? Don't answer that. No insight, and no time to sleep on it, unless today really isn't Sunday, but I think it is. Isaac is of no help, as the calendar in the bar is 1977. I actually once had a dream that actually panned out for a solution; most have been amusingly misleading. But I digress again and again. Failure does that to me. Isaac .. how about a Boulevardier?
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I've finally found something really substantial, but I can't tie it all together. !!!!!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

So ... down to the wire at the eleventh hour, but I’m finally ashore, having sunk to the bottom of the bay and walked the entire way in, navigating by the muffled sounds of Guinness-fueled revelry.
Flamel616

Post by Flamel616 »

Well, that's all I can do. At least the water is beautiful, Isaac.
As much money and life as you could want! The two things most human beings would choose above all — the trouble is, humans do have a knack of choosing precisely those things that are worst for them.
camandsampowercouple

Post by camandsampowercouple »

I've never been in this position before where I've surely discovered what I need to do but when I do it it leads me to nothing. This can't be coincidence! Im drowning 2 ft from the beach.
zacmoretz

Post by zacmoretz »

This ship’s not so bad....
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

juliet wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 8:29 pm
DrTom wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:55 pm Shamefacedly ashore with someone else doing 80% or more of the rowing. I could just not see the rabbit hole even though I was pecking around it. Without the help of a Muggle White Knight I would be flailing in the water well past midnight. So, ashore but certainly not submitting. Still, now my very troubled mind can rest, until I try the MGWCC that is.
I thought you were the Muggle White Knight! Or at least "the Doc". . .
Sometimes you are the Knight, other times it doesn't even dawn on you. This week was one of those. Like the song says, "I need a hero..." and I got one of the best. So this week Doc was Dopey, and now he's Sleepy and getting Goofy (sorry mixed metatoons).
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LadyBird wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:32 pm
"What did Dad mean when the car wouldn't start and he said...." (I was a pretty sheltered 10 YO).
Oh we had LOTS of fudge, he was a Chief Bosun's Mate and they are renowned for their ability to use all tenses and forms of swear words. Who knew you could actually conjugate that verb.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

DrTom wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 11:31 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:32 pm

Oh we had LOTS of fudge, he was a Chief Bosun's Mate and they are renowned for their ability to use all tenses and forms of swear words. Who knew you could actually conjugate that verb.
The pluperfect of which is FROCKED.