"One False Note" - May 22, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Excited to not only finish the grid very quickly, but also figured out the meta right away! On shore with an Irish Coffee enjoying the rainy weather.
KscX

Post by KscX »

This one is a confidence builder! 2 weeks in a row and this one was pretty fast. Ashore.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Jazzvibist wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 10:42 am Ashore - and like many other commenters, (a) impressed by the construction, (b) unchallenged by the meta other than having had to Google it to confirm that such a person exists and (c) wondering whether we are in record-setting territory for beachgoers this week.
I knew such a person existed, but Googled to verify that said person was in the "Country" genre. I went a short distance down the wrong rabbit hole before discovering the error of my ways.
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Nlobb wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm Wait a minute! Due Grafton is one of my favorite authors...
I have a few of her paperbacks in the house and have started rereading. In the first reading, there was much time between books and I didn't read them in order. I am now reading the third one that I have unearthed and just noticed something that had escaped me before. Don't know if all fit the pattern, but these three do (so I imagine that the others do too); the initial of the current client's last name matches the letter in the title. Just never paid attention to that before. So sad that she was not quite able to finish the alphabet before she died. I think our library is supposed to open this week. I will have to go and see how many I can find.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

SewYoung wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 pm
Nlobb wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm Wait a minute! Due Grafton is one of my favorite authors...
I have a few of her paperbacks in the house and have started rereading. In the first reading, there was much time between books and I didn't read them in order. I am now reading the third one that I have unearthed and just noticed something that had escaped me before. Don't know if all fit the pattern, but these three do (so I imagine that the others do too); the initial of the current client's last name matches the letter in the title. Just never paid attention to that before. So sad that she was not quite able to finish the alphabet before she died. I think our library is supposed to open this week. I will have to go and see how many I can find.
I have it on good authority that one is being rewritten "M is for Muggles"
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Nlobb wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm Wait a minute! Sue Grafton is one of my favorite authors...
So sad that she was not quite able to finish the alphabet before she died.
All but Z (is for Zero). From a quote from her daughter, "... as far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y."
LLinNC

Post by LLinNC »

Haven't had time to do the meta until today. Happy that is was not too difficult, once I stopped making it be (sometimes I think too much, other times, not at all). Country music is not my niche. Celebrating with a mimosa and a visit from my brother-in-law and his wife, who is my sister from another mister😄. Cheers to you all, and a toast to those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom.🥂
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

flyingMoose wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 1:32 pm
Nlobb wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 8:30 pm Wait a minute! Sue Grafton is one of my favorite authors...
All but Z (is for Zero). From a quote from her daughter, "... as far as we in the family are concerned, the alphabet now ends at Y."
I have read them all--through X. I haven't been able to bring myself to read Y, because I'm so sad that we won't learn how things wrap up for Kinsey.

I never noticed that bit with the client's name! Maybe if I had been doing metas then....
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LLinNC wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:06 pm Haven't had time to do the meta until today. Happy that is was not too difficult, once I stopped making it be (sometimes I think too much, other times, not at all). Country music is not my niche. Celebrating with a mimosa and a visit from my brother-in-law and his wife, who is my sister from another mister😄. Cheers to you all, and a toast to those who sacrificed their lives for our freedom.🥂
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

YOU ARE THE 200TH MUGGLE ON THE SHORE
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

That's cool about the client names and book titles being linked like that in the Sue Grafton books. I never noticed that. I would like to go back and re-read them as I too read them out of order and probably missed several. But I don't know which ones I haven't read...
ReB

Post by ReB »

LadyBird wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:14 pm
I have read them all--through X. I haven't been able to bring myself to read Y, because I'm so sad that we won't learn how things wrap up for Kinsey.

I never noticed that bit with the client's name! Maybe if I had been doing metas then....
Interesting that we have a Sue Grafton subthread. I took out a slew of Grafton alphabet books from the library just before COVID shut them down. I just finished "W" and "X" while on shore this weekend. Not sure if I'll finish "Y" before the libraries reopen...

I'm not convinced that Grafton could have "wrapped up" Kinsey's story in the last book, unless she was going to kill her off. Perhaps Grafton might have finished off Kinsey's detective career (since she had a nice nest-egg) - or perhaps she might have jumped to the present and looked back - much would depend on how she finished up "Y". Definitely a challenge the author had - but we'll never know now, alas.
halseymac

Post by halseymac »

Greetings from North Carolina! Solved Grid and META, 100%. Am totally unfamiliar with this country singer, so much so, that I worked a lot longer and harder than was necessary. Did not know I had the solve....so I kept going. UGGHH.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

Hoo, boy -- I've had a busy few days and haven't even started the grid yet. Thank heavens this one seems to be an easy one to most solvers.

I'll let you know how I do.
Geoduck

Post by Geoduck »

On shore! Yep, that one went quickly.

Now, off to MGWCC...
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

After reading the thread, was inspired to order the first Sue Grafton book. Not my usual genre, but what the heck? I needed to branch out anyway.
Heidi
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

ReB wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:52 pm
LadyBird wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 2:14 pm

Interesting that we have a Sue Grafton subthread.
I haven't been here very long, but it seems that a subthread often develops over Saturday through Sunday. However, this one will definitely not rival the My First Rock Concert subthread.
ReB wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 3:52 pmI'm not convinced that Grafton could have "wrapped up" Kinsey's story in the last book, unless she was going to kill her off. Perhaps Grafton might have finished off Kinsey's detective career (since she had a nice nest-egg) - or perhaps she might have jumped to the present and looked back - much would depend on how she finished up "Y". Definitely a challenge the author had - but we'll never know now, alas.
Again from an article at the time of her death: Although Grafton had known the title of the last book for some thirty years, she never did come up with an idea for that last book that she liked.
Last edited by flyingMoose on Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ralphlewis

Post by ralphlewis »

Ashore and relieved
WSJosh

Post by WSJosh »

Ashore!
asechres

Post by asechres »

Done and done. Rare solve for this muggle!
K Pi

Post by K Pi »

Ok got it finally. Never heard of this person.
Last edited by K Pi on Sun May 24, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.