"One False Note" - May 22, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

TMart wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:22 pm Now to finish the grid so I can submit.
The grid doesn't have to be correct. You can fill it with all "A"'s and it will let you submit your meta answer.

I do it on paper every week, as I don't have a fixed desk at work and like to have something to do on Friday mornings in my down time. I just submit there when done.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Inca wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 pm
oldjudge wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:55 pm Ashore, after a much longer trip than necessary. If I knew anything about music this would have been a lot easier. Hopefully, no music in Matt’s puzzle tomorrow (and lots of sports).
I could do without any more music OR sports puzzles.
LOL, let me give you the secret to all sports clues —-the answer is either Alou, Ali, Ott or Orr. Sadly, that almost is true.
NaluGirl

Post by NaluGirl »

So nice to have an easier meta, count me ashore! Do we have to social-distance there, too?
grwinski

Post by grwinski »

Ashore! Clearly we weren't the only ones that thought this one was pretty easy! Will be quite a bit a competition for the mug this week!

I do think we're getting slowly better with the metas (sorry to put a curse on next weeks!)

Rita and George
Eric Porter

Post by Eric Porter »

On shore.

When I finished the grid, I thought it would be harder than it was. It took me just a couple of minutes to realize it was easy. This week I solved it before going to this forum to assess the difficulty.

I think we have a good chance to set a new record for correct solves in this forum, though probably not for correct submissions to the WSJ.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Devilbunny wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:33 pm
Should any of you be on the Redneck Riviera this weekend, PM. Maybe we can share some shrimp.
By the Redneck Riviera do you mean Gandy Beach on Tampa Bay?
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

TPS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:46 pm So I just probably just guess Dolly Parton or Johnny Cash and call it a weekend!
I don't generally like or know much about it myself, despite having lived nearly my entire life in the South, but I'd encourage you to check out Patsy Cline's "Crazy" (if nothing else), and the magnificent movie Coal Miner's Daughter, about Loretta Lynn (stars: Sissy Spacek and Tommy Lee Jones, with Beverly D'Angelo as Patsy Cline). And there's a video on YouTube of Parton's "Jolene" that's slowed down as if you played a 45 RPM single at 33 1/3 RPM - the woman has incredible control over her voice.

And if you want to enjoy the twangier, funnier side of the business, try David Allan Coe's cover of "You Never Even Called Me By My Name". Huge kiss-off to the Nashville music execs. It's up there with when Zac Brown wrote "Chicken Fried" - a very charming folky song - and allowed an acquaintance to record it on the condition that he would not let it be played on the radio. The recording company released it anyway, and Brown sued - despite the fact that he was going up against people who could very easily have sunk his entire career - and won. He had another heavy-hitter come by and watch one of his shows on the grounds that "I just wanted to meet the guy who told [x] to **** off."

Never forget: Taylor Swift was a country artist in her early career. There's a lot of crossover there. Like I said, it's not really my thing, but it's pretty interesting in its own way.
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Took me a while to get to it today, but now on shore!
higgysue

Post by higgysue »

On shore.
Drysdale

Post by Drysdale »

Ashore with a Redd's Wicked Apple.
dmorack

Post by dmorack »

On shore even though I'm not a big country music fan. Enjoy your weekend everyone! Stay safe!
-Doug Morack
sanmilton

Post by sanmilton »

I am on shore, and also still on the Zoom call! This is not, perhaps, the construction masterpiece that last week's was, but it was very well put together. The entries for the starred clues are quite ingenious, really!
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

TPS wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:03 pm By the Redneck Riviera do you mean Gandy Beach on Tampa Bay?
The "Emerald Coast" from Ft Morgan, AL, to Apalachicola, FL. We'll be in Gulf Shores, Alabama, because they opened up before Florida did - knew we could get the place for the weekend. Water's not quite as nice as farther east, as detritus wanders east out of Mobile Bay, but c'est la vie. It's a great beach, even when the seaweed intrudes.
RDaleHall

Post by RDaleHall »

Nice solve. Meta before full grid. Love the combination of 2 things I enjoy - crosswords and Country Music. And now on to a 3rd enjoyment to celebrate: Growler of Goose Island Next Coast IPA. Cheers to our fallen heroes this Memorial Day.
ReB

Post by ReB »

This week's trip to shore went rather smoothly and swiftly, for once. Nice to look forward to a peaceful weekend after last week's agonizing near miss.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

16A has to be one of the great clues ever. Should we be expecting “Walker that you might have fallen from”?
fstadler

Post by fstadler »

The encouragement (or maybe the social pressure) from this blog convinced me to press on despite a total lack of country music knowledge. So thanks for the push that got me ashore.
JojoRabbit

Post by JojoRabbit »

On shore. First time posting.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Beth Tyrpin wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:28 pm🏝😎
Another week with the two Beth's tied together - 4:22 and 4:28
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Jeanrosz

Post by Jeanrosz »

On shore...struggled a bit but looked at title and it clicked....I’m back!