"One False Note" - May 22, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
ClayD

Post by ClayD »

Ashore, as others have said, social distancing may be tough on the beach this week!
bhamren

Post by bhamren »

It is going to be crowded on the beach this weekend. No more social distancing!! (Which was invented by a high schooler in the GW Bush years and co-opted by Fauci and his minions).
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

1. This name was not familiar to me, but I could say the same of 90% of country singers.

2. This seemed more like a Mike puzzle than a Matt.

3. The NYT puzzle today was clever and fun, almost meta-like. https://www.nytimes.com/svc/crosswords/ ... ay2120.pdf

4. Like Dr. Tom, I fear that Matt is just softening up his subscribers only to let loose with a haymaker tomorrow.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Thu May 21, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
MileHighSolver

Post by MileHighSolver »

On shore for another 4 night, 3 day weekend.
TPS

Post by TPS »

Like that - Onshore. I had one idea. If it didn't work I was calling it quits. 2 Google searches later and I am there. I hate having to use Google to cheat to get to any part of the answer. Although - thinking of this methodology w/ no knowledge of the subject matter is probably the most happy I have ever been to solve a meta puzzle.
pddigi

Post by pddigi »

I was hoping, being in Nashville, I’d have something of a home-field advantage. But this one is pretty easy, so proximity to the Grand Ole Opry shouldn’t be a factor. I haven’t heard from Dom yet, but he’s on vacation with friends in northern Michigan, so I am not sure when he will check in.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

On the sand...<twang>.
LG Tiki Bar.jpg
LesY

Post by LesY »

Ashore! Not that’s there any room. :) Guinness for all!

Got to this one late due to work. Agree it was a fast solve, both grid and meta.

Decks cleared for MGWCC week 4 tomorrow - here we go...
CPKdad

Post by CPKdad »

Joe Ross wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 4:25 pm Ashore & answer scheduled to email.

Local micro-brewery is scheduled to re-open in 35 minutes!

I've a growler of Nut Brown Ale to share!

West Side Brewing Nut Brown Ale 20200521.gif
Joe -

I'm assuming based on the mug that you're a "west side" guy. I'm up in Warren Co.

Chris
Inca

Post by Inca »

oldjudge wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:55 pm Ashore, after a much longer trip than necessary. If I knew anything about music this would have been a lot easier. Hopefully, no music in Matt’s puzzle tomorrow (and lots of sports).
I could do without any more music OR sports puzzles.
spotter

Post by spotter »

After a short panic about not solving as fast as everyone else, I realized what to do. Count me on shore!
DaveKennison

Post by DaveKennison »

Ashore. Did this one after a five-hour hike and the puzzle took longer than the meta. Gonna be crowded on the beach, I think ... 😜.
Inca

Post by Inca »

Solved.
Music not my thing. Never heard of the singer but had enough knowledge to solve and google.
Dow Jones

Post by Dow Jones »

Solved and On Shore. I hope everyone has a great Memorial Day !
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

CPKdad wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:22 pm
I'm assuming based on the mug that you're a "west side" guy. I'm up in Warren Co.

Chris
Hope your rivers & creeks are below the banks!

When life returns to a workable normal, allow me buy you a beer or a whisky (or two).
Last edited by Joe Ross on Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Done and done
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

I am on the shore! Grid harder than meta (IMHO).
Devilbunny

Post by Devilbunny »

Ashore.

Don't know much about country, but the meta was straightforward and only Googled to confirm that my answer did exist.

Going to an actual beach this weekend, so it's nice to be on the metaphorical one first. Only did it tonight because being out of the office tomorrow will prevent my usual Friday morning habit of printing and attempting to solve, and did not expect this one to fall so quickly. Beautifully done, however.

Edit: Eight successful posts in the time it took me to write that. I think it may be a bit crowded ashore this weekend. Should any of you be on the Redneck Riviera this weekend, PM. Maybe we can share some shrimp.
Last edited by Devilbunny on Thu May 21, 2020 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jud

Post by Jud »

Ashore. I was completely lost, then suddenly it clicked.
juliet

Post by juliet »

On the beach, though it took me several trips through the grid to fill it in. Laughed out loud when 16A finally revealed itself. There is a feature of the grid that seems remarkable (and delayed notice of the rabbit hopping right in front of me)--will wait until after the deadline to mention.