"At Odds" - May 15, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
txgordo

Post by txgordo »

Ha - finished, but I'm sure my response was nowhere near close - will continue to monitor to start figuring out the metas! Mug ho!
matthewmoravec

Post by matthewmoravec »

On shore, can't comment if it was easy or not, the difficulty of past puzzles has kind of messed with how I approach metas now (that otherwise might have been easier). Filling the grid at the 49D/55A crossing required outside assistance!
howardl

Post by howardl »

On shore. I'm a little abashed how long this took me, since I infer from the many many people on shore that this was a relatively easy one. Of course, now that I've got it, I see how easy it was. But that's usually the case (once I've seen the correct path).
martimeryard

Post by martimeryard »

On shore for the first time in however long (I'm pretty sure). The last time I said I was on shore I ended up being wrong. Submission was made so I don't fret about it all weekend.
DBMiller

Post by DBMiller »

Joe Ross wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:10 am Reminder: Muggles may wish to send a Private Message to you in reply to a post or a request for information.

To turn on PM notifications, click on your name at top/right (below the beach), then on User Control Panel.

Click on the Board Preferences Tab of the User Control Panel.

Click on Edit notification options at left.

Edit all desired notifications in the Edit notifications options table.

Click on Submit to save.

XWord email notifications.gif
And for those of you on the other side of the fence - If you don't want to receive nudge requests, you can turn off private messages completely. Note that you won't be able to receive any private messages, except from a moderator if you do so.

To turn off private messages, click on your name at the top/right (Below what is currently a beach image), and then click on "User Control Panel".

Click on the "Board preferences" tab.

Click on the "Edit global settings" group.

Click on "No" for the "Allow users to send you private messages" item.

Click on "Submit" to save your change.
no-nudge.gif
If I'm around, I am willing to join the Muggle Zoom room at other times to lend a hand to those in need.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

Bob - I'm on the shore, post #97 or so
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
Djquimby

Post by Djquimby »

Ashore
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

On shore! Wahoo! Feeling proud as this was only my second done completely independently. All that nudge discussion last weekend made me hesitant to ask 😂 and voilà. Tough love. Time for an IPA....
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Frenchy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:52 pm On shore! Wahoo! Feeling proud as this was only my second done completely independently. All that nudge discussion last weekend made me hesitant to ask 😂 and voilà. Tough love. Time for an IPA....
Good for you! Doesn’t it feel great? Love the “aha” moment!
Heidi
Teeje92

Post by Teeje92 »

On shore! Sure is fun being on the ship though
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

hcbirker wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:15 pm
Frenchy wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 7:52 pm On shore! Wahoo! Feeling proud as this was only my second done completely independently. All that nudge discussion last weekend made me hesitant to ask 😂 and voilà. Tough love. Time for an IPA....
Good for you! Doesn’t it feel great? Love the “aha” moment!
Sure does! Lots of fun.
Susan Goldberg

Post by Susan Goldberg »

On shore! Phew. Was starting to become very worried based on all of the “easy” comments. Got psyched out. Had to focus. But made it!
Colin

Post by Colin »

In a crowd at last,
Cyber Beach is such a blast!
Whatya got on draft?

Sunday say goodbye,
Monday I’ll give work a try,
Rinse, repeat and dry!
One world. One planet. One future.
Kris Zacharias

Post by Kris Zacharias »

After trying unsuccessfully to solve the puzzle on and off this evening, I went to bed. Sleep did not come but after a while an inspiration on how to find the meta did. So I got up and discovered that my inspiration did indeed lead to the solution. So I'm on shore still awake at this very early (late?) hour. I'll have a sleeping draft (or draught for HP fans) please.
David R

Post by David R »

Took me longer then most, same strategy put it down for a while and come back to it. Brain likes to stay on certain paths and needs to reset sometimes to think of it differently. This time hit me within a minute of looking at it.
azdataboy

Post by azdataboy »

I thought relatively easy for a week three in retrospect A stumble at the start given the theme but the aha moment came a few minutes later
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 pm On shore! Phew. Was starting to become very worried based on all of the “easy” comments. Got psyched out.
This is pretty much me right now. Still on the ship!
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:41 am
Susan Goldberg wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:37 pm On shore! Phew. Was starting to become very worried based on all of the “easy” comments. Got psyched out.
This is pretty much me right now. Still on the ship!
OK. Now I'm on shore, after my mom threw me a life preserver.
I'm not really sure I deserve a beverage; I think this time I'm happy just to be on dry land.
jag

Post by jag »

Ashore! Nice confidence booster after hitting the brick wall on last week's puzzle.
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

azdataboy wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 5:45 am I thought relatively easy for a week three in retrospect A stumble at the start given the theme but the aha moment came a few minutes later
Unlike the MGWCC, these contests do not get more difficult over the course of the month
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director