"Build Your Brand" - May 8, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

pookie wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 2:41 pm
LadyBird wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm I have been chasing rabbit holes all over this grid--I'm about ready to "go ask Alice". I'm going to treat this extended stay on the ship like a pelagic birding trip--maybe I can pick up a lifer or two while I'm strolling the deck. When I tire of that, I can head in for a drink and game of checkers with Isaac.

Last night, I dreamed that I solved the meta. Maybe I really did, but I can't remember the particulars of the dream.
I'm completely lost as well.
LadyBird I googled your avatar and came up with an Indian Roller. (?)
Can you tell me about it? Did you take the picture? What a beautiful bird. :)
Lady Bird has possible the prettiest avatar but She also ofteN has a mini-meta of her OWn, She will include a bird name in the message onlY with random capitals and I never rEGRET looking for them. I mean I am often operating on a wing and a prayer anyway so a bird reference is appropriate.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Anita

Post by Anita »

Whew. The grid was filled without much fanfare, though two of the answers are really odd (don't seem to have anything to do with their clues). The meta is proving opaque to me - not even an inkling of where to start.
SeanS

Post by SeanS »

Bob cruise director wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:19 pm Since I am wandering around the ship, I got this from one of my golfing friends on Cape Cod

Hey guys, my wife and I sing with an a cappella group out of Cotuit Center For The Arts, called Centertonix. Of course we can't rehearse right now, so to pass the time we individually recorded a parody to one of our songs, and somebody a lot smarter than I put it together and put it on YouTube. Hopefully it will bring a smile to your face in these very frustrating times. John Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0Gx8D-gdxQ
Hopefully I can catch a live performance of this at the Nauset Beach gazebo in August
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

I have 963 places to start! Maybe in the morning, one will show itself as correct.

Missed my golf round, today, due to weather. Mr. McGrumpypants is NOT happy.
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Well, haven't we found ourselves in a real pickle.

I (think) see the diving board/jumping off point, BUT the logical(?) progression gets me an answer that I just don't like.

Hanging with Isaac; not sure if alcohol will help, but willing to give it the 'good old college try!'

Cheers!!
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

LadyBird wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 1:04 pm I have been chasing rabbit holes all over this grid--I'm about ready to "go ask Alice". I'm going to treat this extended stay on the ship like a pelagic birding trip--maybe I can pick up a lifer or two while I'm strolling the deck. When I tire of that, I can head in for a drink and game of checkers with Isaac.

Last night, I dreamed that I solved the meta. Maybe I really did, but I can't remember the particulars of the dream.
Look up Lilac Breasted Roller. It is very similar to the Indian Roller but in Africa rather than in Asia
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Don S.

Post by Don S. »

On shore less than 5 minutes after finishing the grid. Sometimes you just see it right away.
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

Finally got to shore on this. Team effort with my wife.

Now to noodle on PGWCC.
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

I thought I was making good progress yesterday with the first strategy I tried, but it has gone absolutely nowhere!
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
boharr

Post by boharr »

Don S. wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:08 pm Sometimes you just see it right away.
That happened to me. Once.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

Pookie--it is a Lilac-breasted Roller. I took the picture a few years ago when we were on safari in Botswana. It is a stunningly beautiful bird. Even the other (non-birder) folks in the jeep were impressed with this bird.
bradisbrad

Post by bradisbrad »

Yikes. Finished the grid quickly, but I don't even see the shoreline, and I'm pretty sure my compass is broken. May be spending the weekend with Isaac, but sounds like I'll have good company.
LadyBird

Post by LadyBird »

DrTom wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm

Lady Bird has possible the prettiest avatar but She also ofteN has a mini-meta of her OWn, She will include a bird name in the message onlY with random capitals and I never rEGRET looking for them. I mean I am often operating on a wing and a prayer anyway so a bird reference is appropriate.
Ah-- we don't often get Snowy Egrets in Chicago. I saw this one in Siesta Key in January (feels like it was 4 years ago, not 4 months)!
Attachments
20200508_155133.jpg
pookie

Post by pookie »

LadyBird wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:24 pm

Pookie--it is a Lilac-breasted Roller. I took the picture a few years ago when we were on safari in Botswana. It is a stunningly beautiful bird. Even the other (non-birder) folks in the jeep were impressed with this bird.
Thank you! It is beautiful!
Inca

Post by Inca »

Hmmm....doesn't look like this is going to happen.
Scott M

Post by Scott M »

Well, looks like pandemic brain has set in. Was shocked to see 5 pages of posts only 90 minutes after the puzzle was released. Then realized it was Friday, not Thursday. Which does not bode well for me solving this one. I'll pull up a stool with Isaac for the time being.
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain
ChrisKochmanski

Post by ChrisKochmanski »

Many hours at the bar with Isaac (he's THE BEST!), but now I'm ASHORE!

I did require a slight nudge, so I won't submit for the mug.

Terrific puzzle!
UTHfan

Post by UTHfan »

Inca wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 5:06 pm Hmmm....doesn't look like this is going to happen.
lolz, not even a slight inkling right now.
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

LadyBird wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 4:55 pm
DrTom wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:43 pm
Ah-- we don't often get Snowy Egrets in Chicago. I saw this one in Siesta Key in January (feels like it was 4 years ago, not 4 months)!
I'm in Jacksonville, FL so I see them quite a bit, along with herons and Ibis - we often have loads on the lawn like a bunch of pigeons.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Still LAS. Cynthia J
Cynthia