"Build Your Brand" - May 8, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Tina

Post by Tina »

On shore! I liked this one!
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

I think I'm on shore, and I liked this one a lot, too. I spent a little time going down a wrong path before I saw the light.

I also spent some time at our favorite bar tonight! The current situation isn't too bad out here in the hills, and outdoor dining areas were allowed to open this week with a bunch of new regulations. We threw caution to the wind and went for dinner and a couple beers. They weren't allowed to serve in their fishbowls..bottles and cans only...but it was a nice evening. Not looking so nice tomorrow. The mountains half an hour away are expecting 2 to 4 inches of snow tomorrow evening.
elan

Post by elan »

I had a bit of time this evening, and so swam ashore (on a snowy night).

Hope you all are well!
Laura M

Post by Laura M »

Whew! Glad to be on shore after a challenging swim! I loved this one even though it made me pull my hair out for a while.
damefox

Post by damefox »

Ashore. I predict fewer solvers than last week, but probably not the lowest we've ever seen.
boharr

Post by boharr »

damefox wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:56 pm Ashore. I predict fewer solvers than last week, but probably not the lowest we've ever seen.
A safe prediction I fear.
edot

Post by edot »

Ashore! Excellent meta. Very satisfying solve!

On a side note, made some delicious homemade fried chicken this evening. Happy to 49 DOWN with anyone who wants some :)
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:50 pm I think I'm on shore, and I liked this one a lot, too. I spent a little time going down a wrong path before I saw the light.

I also spent some time at our favorite bar tonight! The current situation isn't too bad out here in the hills, and outdoor dining areas were allowed to open this week with a bunch of new regulations. We threw caution to the wind and went for dinner and a couple beers. They weren't allowed to serve in their fishbowls..bottles and cans only...but it was a nice evening. Not looking so nice tomorrow. The mountains half an hour away are expecting 2 to 4 inches of snow tomorrow evening.
And here it was almost 100 degrees!
Heidi
FrankieHeck

Post by FrankieHeck »

hcbirker wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 pm And here it was almost 100 degrees!
Zoinks!
Dplass

Post by Dplass »

TPS wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:45 pm
TPS wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 4:09 pm I won't be able to work the puzzle until later this evening - so you'll all have to do w/o my moaning about not getting the meta fo a few hours! :lol: :lol:
As promised...I'm here to moan about not getting the meta! 90 minutes in - Not the faintest clue. Had an idea got nowhere, thought I saw something - it was nothing.

This is the first time in a long time I don't even have even the slightest idea what the methodology might be. I hope Issac is lonely because its going to be another long weekend!

I'm putting a coin in the juke box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29RKnB7l7o
Same. The grid fell pretty easily but the meta is keeping its secrets.
Miki

Post by Miki »

Took a little longer than usual. But as usual, Matt Gaffney's brilliant mind makes our brains work just s little bit harder.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

Finally ashore with a small nudge. Really an interesting fun puzzle once you see what is going on. Till then, very (11A)ing.
burak

Post by burak »

Ashore. Something stuck out initially but didn't know what to make of it, somehow had a hunch that it was the key to the answer. After making it too difficult for myself for a while (biggest meta mistake: don't force an answer on the puzzle) I changed my perspective and voila, it was right there.

Brilliant, layered meta.
oldjudge

Post by oldjudge »

FrankieHeck wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:23 pm
hcbirker wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:15 pm And here it was almost 100 degrees!
Zoinks!
Zionks indeed. The heat isn’t the main problem. The air quality is not just unhealthy, but very unhealthy. Today in the LA area was like a bad day in Beijing.
maxdegeorge

Post by maxdegeorge »

I don't know of this is allowed, but is there any way to find hints? My grandpa used to do this all the time and I want to continue the family legacy but I am so lost on the big answer
BrianMac
Site Admin

Post by BrianMac »

On shore after finally wrestling this one to the ground. Now I can KAS-3 around the house all weekend. 8-)
Joe Ross

Post by Joe Ross »

edot wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:10 pm On a side note, made some delicious homemade fried chicken this evening. Happy to 49 DOWN with anyone who wants some :)
I'm heading to edot's to replenish (& to sneak a peak at the grid...)!

20200508 JR Hoxworth.gif

As you can imagine, blood & blood products are in huge demand. Consider donating, please!
Whole blood, platelets, or plasma: Donate 4 in 2024

PLATELET 𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗼𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗿𝗲.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗻𝗲𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝘀 ENORMOUS 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗲:
𝟰𝟬% 𝗽𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗶𝗰,
𝟯𝟬% 𝗲𝗮𝗰𝗵, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗶𝗰,
𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗰𝗲𝗿 & 𝘁𝗿𝗮𝘂𝗺𝗮. 𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗦𝗛𝗔𝗥𝗘!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

maxdegeorge wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 3:08 am I don't know of this is allowed, but is there any way to find hints? My grandpa used to do this all the time and I want to continue the family legacy but I am so lost on the big answer
max
Some unofficial guidance on hints - which we call nudges

1) Make an attempt. Most won't give nudges until Saturday
2) Nudges are done in private messages. Usually asking for a nudge may be done here but you should get a private message from someone.
3) When you have made contact, explain all the paths you have taken (we call them rabbit holes). You may get responses that you are warm or not or general guidance.
4) Under Board Index/Come Aboard/FAQ Community - Solving Resources there are both suggestions for solving metas in general as well as all the past WSJ contests and their answers.
5) Most muggles who get more than a gentle nudge may claim that they are on shore (solved) although some also stay on the ship (counted as unsolved) but won't submit to the WSJ - however all this is a personal decision.

Good luck

p.s. this appears to be a toughie so there are a lot who are on the ship
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

Joe Ross wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 7:20 am
edot wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:10 pm On a side note, made some delicious homemade fried chicken this evening. Happy to 49 DOWN with anyone who wants some :)
I'm heading to edot's to replenish (& to sneak a peak at the grid...)!

20200508 JR Hoxworth.gif

As you can imagine, blood & blood products are in huge demand. Consider donating, please!
Our local hospitals have stopped drawing blood and the local organizations have minimized blood drives for now. When they open up again, I am sure they will welcome new blood.
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
femullen

Post by femullen »

Last week I at least saw the checkers (but didn't remember how a king moved). This week, nada.

I'm going to change my muggle handle to Seadog, because I used to spend a lot of time in ships, and it seems I'm fated to continue.
For nudges, feel free to PM me. I won't have a clue how to help you, but you might shove me ashore.