"King Me!" - April 30, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Nlobb

Post by Nlobb »

Yes what was it about the start and finish? So many didn't notice those clues, me included!!!? Seems so obvious now. I did see wraps it up and wrap up in the clues and circled those as I worked the grid. But...
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

Bird Lives wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:30 am
TPS wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:04 am
Bird Lives wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:39 am

Me. I mentioned it and you in a previous comment.
It’s funny - I’ve looked at the grid several times since you made that comment - but I just don’t see it. Probably why I am so bad at meta - I never see what others do. Kind of makes me wonder how good of an attorney I am!! :lol: :lol:
I tried to imply that the huchback shape was more in the eye of the beholder than in the grid.
Not to be too nitpicky but from a medical standpoint Richard III did not have a hunchback he had scoliosis where the spine is significantly, and abnormally curved. So he would have been twisted more than humped, which as it turns out is (1) what the puzzle was (2) what almost happened to me!
RICHARD III Spine
RICHARDIII Spine.jpg
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Al Sisti

Post by Al Sisti »

DrTom wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am
TPS wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 10:04 am

It’s funny - I’ve looked at the grid several times since you made that comment - but I just don’t see it. Probably why I am so bad at meta - I never see what others do. Kind of makes me wonder how good of an attorney I am!! :lol: :lol:
I tried to imply that the huchback shape was more in the eye of the beholder than in the grid.
Not to be too nitpicky but from a medical standpoint Richard III did not have a hunchback he had scoliosis where the spine is significantly, and abnormally curved. So he would have been twisted more than humped, which as it turns out is (1) what the puzzle was (2) what almost happened to me!
Right, which is also the shape of the path taken by the jumping (S-like). That's what I thought that those who mentioned a "bow" were referring to.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Nlobb wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:44 am Yes what was it about the start and finish? So many didn't notice those clues, me included!!!? Seems so obvious now. I did see wraps it up and wrap up in the clues and circled those as I worked the grid. But...
I missed them too. Now I've learned that when I'm looking where to start I should do so right where it says START.
boharr

Post by boharr »

Al Sisti wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:20 am
DrTom wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:59 am

Right, which is also the shape of the path taken by the jumping (S-like). That's what I thought that those who mentioned a "bow" were referring to.
Me too.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

this was missing from the grid:

PARKINGLOT (over)
HISBONES
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
TPS

Post by TPS »

MajordomoTom wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 2:43 pm this was missing from the grid:

PARKINGLOT (over)
HISBONES
How about HORSE
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

I'd have settled for Popular Computer Type - MAC and Person all about Eve - ADAM for clues as long as they were next to each other!
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

The current came and pushed me off shore! I was thinking of the checkers already kinged, and so was looking at the letters above and below the Os. In the top part of the grid the Os were over or under the letters T S A R, so that was my one foot on shore. The bottom part was not the red herring I was hoping for, but a big rip tide for sure! See y'all next week!