"Physical Science" - April 19, 2019

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
EdStrong

Post by EdStrong »

Ashore, thanks to some help from Mr G for validation.
Commodore

Post by Commodore »

Now standing on sand. <Wait!> Now being told this may be a Sand Bar.

"You're no bunny, til some bunny loves you." - Happy Easter
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:41 am
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 am
CPJohnson wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:21 am There is a new person over at the old site (jeffrey parish) asking some questions. I tried twice to reply, and the posts don't appear. Maybe some of you who have been at this longer than I have can help him.
I just tried too and also have a reply pending moderation. Wonder if all of them will appear eventually. Looks like they did allow one response through anyway.
Imagine being the poor person who has to sort through all the comments on all the WSJ articles all weekend.
Looks like the moderator did approve them all. There are now 6 replies.

Yesterday someone posted the four letter noun that he thought was the answer. Either that went through without moderation or the moderator didn't realize what it was and approved it. It was visible on the site for a while though before Mike deleted it.
sheilaco

Post by sheilaco »

I'm LAS. Haven't had a lot of time to look at this. I followed one promising rabbit hole that went nowhere. I'm going to see a movie and hope for some divine inspiration.
Meg

Post by Meg »

Or maybe you will experience "post enlightenment", which is the phenomenon of having the answer jump into your brain soon after you post that you are LAS.
Check out and support http://CrosswordsForCancer.com.
curtremarks

Post by curtremarks »

At sea but mostly to spend time with Isaac. Great pic BTW.
debbierudy

Post by debbierudy »

Swam ashore this morning, but was too busy planting my herb garden to get online till now. Spring in Ohio this year is actually very nice, unlike last year which was cold, wet and terrible until it got hot. This was an enjoyable puzzle, very clever, and well constructed. After all this exercise (swimming, planting, thinking, etc.) I'm ready to hit the tiki bar for an old fashioned!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

BarbaraK wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:56 pm
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:41 am
BarbaraK wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 am

I just tried too and also have a reply pending moderation. Wonder if all of them will appear eventually. Looks like they did allow one response through anyway.
Imagine being the poor person who has to sort through all the comments on all the WSJ articles all weekend.
Looks like the moderator did approve them all. There are now 6 replies.

Yesterday someone posted the four letter noun that he thought was the answer. Either that went through without moderation or the moderator didn't realize what it was and approved it. It was visible on the site for a while though before Mike deleted it.
At least we were consistent
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
JJD

Post by JJD »

On shore, KAS 3 for me.

I’m going to resist the urge to make vague but (IMHO) clever comments that could be construed as hints. Instead I’ll just say I appreciated the ‘aha’ moment.
Beth C

Post by Beth C »

Done and done. Clever meta, per usual. Good luck Muggles!
DrTom

Post by DrTom »

OK, I actually think I got this one! Took me a while to see and was led astray by a few craftily scattered "hey wait a minute" things, but perhaps I have broken the curse. I have been sooo close the last few weeks and not been able to bring it home. We'll see.

Thanks for the new forum, it really was rather silly what WSJ did. Given that one of the main reasons I but the paper is the Crossword Contests and since the puzzles are so far free and now I don't have to be a member to comment to my hearts content - well they may have made it easier to not renew. I might just go to Saturday reading to save on subscription costs.
NUDGES!I am always willing to give nudges where needed; metas should be about fun, not frustration. Send me what you have done so far because often you are closer than you think!
hcbirker

Post by hcbirker »

Just noticed the WSJ posted the "continued discussion" on the Crossword Contest. That means you can continue posting on the site. (Heidi)
Heidi
Thurman8er

Post by Thurman8er »

Took a day or so, but I got it.
SueJ

Post by SueJ »

On the ship....think I'm going down the right rabbit hole but have a busy weekend. I see a head slap coming Monday morning!
31 Down

Post by 31 Down »

debbierudy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:05 pm Swam ashore this morning, but was too busy planting my herb garden to get online till now.
Debbie can be our resident crucial herbalist! (groan?)
Thomas W (since there's already a Tom W)
FKelly

Post by FKelly »

On shore Thursday, but a bit late to post. A thoroughly enjoyable puzzle from Mike Shenk. There are a variety of cocktails associated with this one.
tim1217

Post by tim1217 »

A while back someone (I think the name was Howard...) posted a series of comments that described 'rules of thumb' for solving META puzzles. One of those rules is that when you have the correct answer, you will 100% know that it is correct (i.e.,you can logically walk it back to the beginning of the process AND it makes sense with the title of the puzzle). I absolutely believe this one. Whenever I 'think' I have the answer (i.e. it's not 100%) then it is always the 1st or 2nd losing answer (per Mike's Monday reporting). I spent Thursday afternoon til Saturday afternoon 95% sure of the answer, but that rule of thumb was bugging me. Then the AHA happened. Glad I spent more time on it, otherwise I'd be in the 'also ran' group come Monday.
KayW

Post by KayW »

BrianDavidson wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:21 pm Not seeing it yet. I’m thinking of some four letter words, but not all of them are nouns. :lol:
LAS. I see an obvious starting point and a few rabbit holes that so far lead to nothing but four-letter gibberish. I think Brian expressed my sentiments perfectly. On the bright side, it looks like I have my choice of barstools this week.

Happy holidays to those who celebrate!
Contest Crosswords Combating Cancer (CCCC) is a bundle of 16 metapuzzles created to help raise money for cancer-related charities. It is available at CrosswordsForCancer.com.
billkatz

Post by billkatz »

It took me a while (and a gentle nudge) but I made it ashore! Travelling in Maryland this week to visit my son at U of Maryland.
Jim and Anita

Post by Jim and Anita »

Kudos to all those who solved the meta. We thought we had a possible idea for this one but we feel like our boat is taking on water so fast that even all the rabbits have abandoned ship. In the real world, spring has come at last to central Pennsylvania and we wish everyone a lovely day.