"Capitalized Words" - April 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
CPJohnson

Post by CPJohnson »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:03 am Good news and bad news

Our final count and new record is 171 muggles on shore

Unfortunately I do not have an email telling me I won the mug
Thanks again for all the record-keeping, Bob. We appreciate your work!
Cynthia
Tony S

Post by Tony S »

Thurman8er wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:50 am Got it! I feel ten feet tall!!
Now if someone named Alice won the mug ....
DoubleE07

Post by DoubleE07 »

Came ashore yesterday afternoon. Fun puzzle, was on the wrong track initially looking at capitalized "letters", but switched tracks relatively easily. I did have to brush up on my state capitals and had to look up the bands that played Woodstock.
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

I'm currently sitting in a white room.

Ok, it's cream colored, with white trim. No curtains.

Waiting for the email ... hoping Alice is bringing me the mug.

(yes, wrong band, but right genre, pronounced the way Trebek pronounces it, "John-Ruh").
Last edited by MajordomoTom on Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.
DennyB

Post by DennyB »

When does Mike Miller usually email the winner and how long will he wait for a response?
pookie

Post by pookie »

Bird Lives wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:00 am
pookie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:13 am
You've convinced me that I have to get Frishberg's book. Thanks.
Considering the stories that Frishberg could tell, that I've heard him tell in interviews or sitting at the bar between sets at Bradley's, and considering how much he could say about writing tunes and lyrics, I found the book disappointing. It could have been so much better.
Too late! I ordered it last night. :D
It'll probably be worth it just to read what he has to say about Jack Sheldon. :?:
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

UTHfan wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:23 am
oldjudge wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:27 am
Joe Ross wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:00 am I think that I came at this from a scarily different, yet familiar, direction.

BORDER CROSSINGS — MAINE & NEW MEXICO, anyone?

ORIGINAL COMMENTS FOR June 8, 2018 BORDER CROSSINGS

20200424 Capitalized Words 2 JPR.gif
Amazing coincidence!
that is something. but apparently, Missouri had the last multi-word state capital. I guess it's too bad Little Feat didn't play at woodstock.
This plate was on my truck for about 10 years after Hoy-Hoy! came out.
20200427_114629s.jpg
Rufus T. Firefly
MikeMillerwsj

Post by MikeMillerwsj »

A huge turnout this week! We had 2558 entries, with 82% correct (and another 18 for JEFFERSON STARSHIP). A large showing for two other bands that vaguely resemble state capitals: SANTANA (156) and SHA NA NA (41). Plus a nostalgic dip into the rest of the Woodstock playlist: CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL (25), BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS (19), THE WHO (11), CANNED HEAT (9), GRATEFUL DEAD (9), BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD (5), and ARLO GUTHRIE (2), among others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Shelley Kaufman of Randolph, NJ! Stay safe solvers!
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

pookie wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:41 am Too late! I ordered it last night. :D
It'll probably be worth it just to read what he has to say about Jack Sheldon. :?:
He doesn't say much about Sheldon. But I've heard stories elsewhere. He had some substance problems, but I think that even when sober he was a crude and offensive, though sometimes funny, guy.
Jay
BarbaraK

Post by BarbaraK »

MikeMillerwsj wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:07 pm A huge turnout this week! We had 2558 entries, with 82% correct (and another 18 for JEFFERSON STARSHIP). A large showing for two other bands that vaguely resemble state capitals: SANTANA (156) and SHA NA NA (41). Plus a nostalgic dip into the rest of the Woodstock playlist: CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL (25), BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS (19), THE WHO (11), CANNED HEAT (9), GRATEFUL DEAD (9), BUFFALO SPRINGFIELD (5), and ARLO GUTHRIE (2), among others.

Congrats to this week's winner: Shelley Kaufman of Randolph, NJ! Stay safe solvers!
Second highest number of submissions ever - behind only 02/01/19 "Just Say the Word" JAPAN.
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

ok, now I can post this- does anyone else outside of the Chicago area know what DES PLAINES is? Not the first time I've seen it in a puzzle... and if there was some other random suburb of another city, I'd have no idea.
Tom Shea

Post by Tom Shea »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm ok, now I can post this- does anyone else outside of the Chicago area know what DES PLAINES is? Not the first time I've seen it in a puzzle... and if there was some other random suburb of another city, I'd have no idea.
It was not a strange entry to me. However, I have stayed there on occasion at O'Hare airport hotels.

Then again, I've heard of Tonawanda too, since I used to get WKBW late at night when they were late night radio (50K watts strong!) when I grew up.
Rufus T. Firefly
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

sharkicicles wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm ok, now I can post this- does anyone else outside of the Chicago area know what DES PLAINES is? Not the first time I've seen it in a puzzle... and if there was some other random suburb of another city, I'd have no idea.
I knew that it was a city, but had to look it up to find out where it was.
Jacksull

Post by Jacksull »

I've seen references to DES PLAINES, but always wondered how to pronounce it. Is it da planes {like Des Moines or da bears) or dez planes (Dez Bryant) or dess planes ('splain it to me, Lucy).
Jack Sullivan
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

I had no clue about Des Plaines. But on the other hand did anyone outside of Boston area know what a T Stop was not to mention that Harvard and Quincy were stops on the red line?

And I had to look up SXSW to find out what it was
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Wendy Walker

Post by Wendy Walker »

Jacksull wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:59 pm
I've seen references to DES PLAINES, but always wondered how to pronounce it. Is it da planes {like Des Moines or da bears) or dez planes (Dez Bryant) or dess planes ('splain it to me, Lucy).
DA PLANE! DA PLANE! Oh. Wait. Wrong 70s sitcom.
Good luck, fellow Muggles!
sharkicicles

Post by sharkicicles »

Jacksull wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:59 pm
Dess Planes. Yes, it's as dumb as it sounds.
BrianDavidson

Post by BrianDavidson »

Tom Shea wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:53 pm Then again, I've heard of Tonawanda too, since I used to get WKBW late at night when they were late night radio (50K watts strong!) when I grew up.
But did you know there's also a North Tonawanda? :lol:
flyingMoose

Post by flyingMoose »

Bob cruise director wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:05 pm ... Boston area know what a T Stop was not to mention that Harvard and Quincy were stops on the red line?
This is the MTA of Kingston Trio fame?
MajordomoTom

Post by MajordomoTom »

back in the day, all attorney-wannabees had to spend 2-3 days in Jefferson City to take the Missouri Bar exam.

so this was a lay-up for me and any others here in the Show-Me State.

yes, know Des Plaines and my brother lives in Austin, so SXSW was not a stranger either.
"Lots of planets have a North", the Ninth Doctor.