"Capitalized Words" - April 24, 2020

A place to discuss the weekly Wall Street Journal Crossword Puzzle Contest, starting every Thursday around 4:00 p.m. Eastern time. Please do not post any answers or hints before the contest deadline which is midnight Sunday Eastern time.
Ksoav

Post by Ksoav »

Count me in on shore!
PHOFER

Post by PHOFER »

I spent way too much time looking for something after I found the initial pathway. Then I spent way too much time looking for the same thing after finding the answer. If it is there, and I missed it, I'll be frustrated, but I'm happy I found the answer. Ashore.
tigerfly222

Post by tigerfly222 »

Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:15 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:45 pm All this talk of seeing concerts in the 70's, 80's and 90's makes me feel really old. The first concert I went to was The Isley Brothers in October 1965.
Anyone else's first concert in the current millennium? :shock:
Pretty sure mine was Dave Matthews Band at Thompson-Boling arena in Knoxville TN, early summer 2001.
Why the flag of Spain for your avatar? Great country to visit. And easy to do on your own.
I currently live in Barcelona. :)
SewYoung

Post by SewYoung »

Hidden in 3D wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:31 am
camandsampowercouple wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:15 am we're past the submission deadline right? when do we know the contest answer?
Here's what the official contest rules state: "Email your answer to the Weekly Question to crosswordcontest@wsj.com by midnight New York City time on the Sunday following the publication of the Friday Puzzle." The answer is published shortly thereafter. Fellow muggles often post the answer in the forum right after that. Another great description of how to solve the meta is always published at Crossword Fiend just after the deadline (https://crosswordfiend.com/). Good luck!
The deadline is still more than 16 hours away. The contest answer is included in the publication of Monday's puzzle. Sometimes is posted on this site before Monday's puzzle comes out.
There was much discussion early on as to whether "Midnight Sunday" meant one minute after 11:59 on Saturday night or Sunday night. It means Sunday night. The instructions were changed to read "Email your answer—in the subject line—to crosswordcontest@wsj.com by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time Sunday..."
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Post by Bob cruise director »

tigerfly222 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:49 am
Bob cruise director wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:54 am
tigerfly222 wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:15 am

Anyone else's first concert in the current millennium? :shock:
Pretty sure mine was Dave Matthews Band at Thompson-Boling arena in Knoxville TN, early summer 2001.
Why the flag of Spain for your avatar? Great country to visit. And easy to do on your own.
I currently live in Barcelona. :)
On the list of places to go. We went to Madrid, Toledo, Grenada, Cordoba and Seville. Many more places we want to go in Spain. Stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
NuYear68

Post by NuYear68 »

You can count me on shore. I'm fairly certain my answer is correct, as it fits the theme, but I'm having a difficult time finding that final magic connection that slams it home.

Stay well,
Paul
HeadinHome

Post by HeadinHome »

FIRST TIME posting here, and first time attempting and solving this contest. Have to say, it took a while because based on the examples online of how to solve these, I was trying way too hard to see something hidden in the grid! Lists helped instead, and saw it quickly then. Hope to join the party often!
The other Wendy. :roll:
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

HeadinHome wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:13 am FIRST TIME posting here, and first time attempting and solving this contest. Have to say, it took a while because based on the examples online of how to solve these, I was trying way too hard to see something hidden in the grid! Lists helped instead, and saw it quickly then. Hope to join the party often!
First welcome to our merry little group of muggles. It is always great to have more participating.

And you have put us into uncharted territory. Our previous record of muggles on shore was 158. Your the 159th muggle on our crowded shore - a new record.

Welcome and good luck winning the mug
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

Jazzvibist wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:43 pm I wonder how many Muggles will identify with this post. My first memorable live concert was taking a date in the mid-1950s to see and hear Dizzy Gillespie’s quintet at the long-defunct Blue Note in Chicago.
Do clubs count as concerts? I saw Dizzy at the Village Gate (downstairs). Years later saw Bill Evans there (upstairs); he let Jeremy Steig sit in. Chick Corea was also in the room, and Evans had him take over the piano (probably, I realized years later, so that he [Evans] could go shoot up). My first jazz concert was Newport the year before the riot, a year after Jazz on a Summer's Day. Stan Getz with Scott LeFaro, and I thought: can you really play a bass like that? The Messengers (I still remember that arrangement of "Paper Moon"). Can't remember the others.

Rock concerts are much more, what's the word? raucous, lively, exuberant. The guy next door is in a very well-known band from the past. They still do reunion tours. They play the same old songs from decades past. That's OK for the other guys in the band. But he has moved on into other kinds of music. He'd like to play some new stuff, and if it weren't for the money . . . .

Me: But what about the crowds? I mean, thousands of people screaming for you.
Him: It's like going to a job.
Last edited by Bird Lives on Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay
Bird Lives

Post by Bird Lives »

oldjudge wrote: Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:41 pm Draft Lottery story [snip] Turns out he had been number 3 and gotten there just late enough to miss it being called.
I hope he had bone spurs.
Jay
sphorning

Post by sphorning »

Back to first concerts.... My birth year makes me just eligible to be still called a BOOMER. My first concert was Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers in 1979 at a small venue called Sherwood Hall in the town I grew up in Salinas, California. All of us girls were just swooning!
ky-mike

Post by ky-mike »

I am pretty certain that my first real concert was the band Boston in the late-70's, though I had seen Harry Chapin, Alison Krauss, Doc and Merle Watson and a few others perform at the Walnut Valley Festival in Winfield, KS prior to that (were those 30-45 minutes performances considered concerts?).
MarkL

Post by MarkL »

Many, many thanks to those who served, voluntarily or not. Only got to see me older brother get very nervous near the end. Much respect for all veterans.
'tis... A lovely day for a Guinness!
jawinks

Post by jawinks »

Made it ashore once I took the time to fully commit myself to the puzzle. My first concert was the NWA!
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

Will now claim shore status. Turns out my "guess" was a good one and I actually was looking at the correct path!
Bob cruise director
Cruise Director

Congratulations fellow muggles. We have set a record for the most muggles on the shore when our newest muggle, HeadinHome became the 159th muggle on the shore. Since then jawinks has joined us to make 160 on the shore.

And we have four new muggles since yesterday: mattythewsjpuzzler, JeanneC, Joseph Horton and HeadinHome. We welcome them all

In addition to the 160 muggles on the shore we have Nlobb keeping Isaac company for now.

New to the shore since yesterday are:
Susan G
Ann
LLinNC
rexthree
Cynthia J
bee
mattythewsjpuzzler
garryj
JeanneC
Matthew M
bradisbrad
UTHfan
the Thurman8er
Joseph H
Dennis
Susan H
Katherine
Patrick
Head scratcher
NuYear68
HeadinHome
and jwinks

Way to go everyone. Good luck winning the mug although this could be a record for WSJ submissions also.

And stay safe
Bob Stevens
Cruise Director
bigmelr1180

Post by bigmelr1180 »

Man, I cannot see this answer. So frustrated. Anyone want to help a newbie on the side I would appreciate some wisdom.
Annabelle

Post by Annabelle »

On shore after an interesting cruise.
DaveWa

Post by DaveWa »

I'm ashore. So many Capitalized Words, so little time. But somehow I managed to dog paddle my way to a very crowded shore. A very satisfying click this week when I finally got there!
bigmelr1180

Post by bigmelr1180 »

on shore, but after a little reassurance I was headed in the right direction.